Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23 | 08:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Never feel bad for having an opinion, even when it is wrong!
I think it looks good Wilson2000.
What do you think about the RX350 in that color, you think it works ok?

Old 06-26-23 | 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Never feel bad for having an opinion, even when it is wrong!

Oh man, now I feel bad for bashing the Matador Red.

Just wasn't sure about it on the RX 350 how it looked.

Have a pic of it on the SC430?
I'm guessing looks better on a sporty coupe.
‘I always liked the SC430. Killer high quality interior. A quiet engine I have always liked it better than the LC500. Personally I like the SC430 in dark colours. But if red is your thing…then yeah .l.
Old 06-26-23 | 10:27 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Nice SC430!

My only input is buy the color for you, not for the next owner. Which is how I ended up with Cyber Orange
Old 06-27-23 | 09:12 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

If in the market, I would buy a white RX. They look OK in red.

I've had four red vehicles prior to my SC...a 59 VW Bug, a 63 convertible Corvair, a two-tone 67 VW Camper, and a 85 MR2, all acquired used. Other than my SC, I wasn't looking for a red copy, it just worked out that way.
Old 06-27-23 | 09:20 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘I always liked the SC430. Killer high quality interior. A quiet engine I have always liked it better than the LC500. Personally I like the SC430 in dark colours. But if red is your thing…then yeah .l.
Like the LS400, the SC430 is a solid car! It doesn't stand out in any one way (performance, style, comfort), it just does everything well, and has been exceptionally reliable! I, like most SC owners, have fallen in love with it over the years.
Old 06-27-23 | 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If in the market, I would buy a white RX. y.
Why white? I think I would get blue. I saw a blue RX the other day and was in love. Or green
Old 06-27-23 | 04:07 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why white? I think I would get blue. I saw a blue RX the other day and was in love. Or green
I know white is boring, but, it is one of the easiest colors to keep looking clean week-to-week. Too, white paint is more durable than most colors because it reflects UV and heat, rather than absorb it.

I made the mistake of letting my wife pick a dark blue 2011 ES. It looks great, but 12 years of constant car-washing is wearing me out. Before that, she picked out a black Avalon! Because I wash my own vehicles, color choice is more than aesthetics for me. I told my wife for her next car she can have any color she wants, as long as it's white (or, she can start taking it to the car wash)!
Old 06-27-23 | 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Silver is just as good as white in those regards, and is a little more interesting...
Old 06-27-23 | 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I know white is boring, but, it is one of the easiest colors to keep looking clean week-to-week. Too, white paint is more durable than most colors because it reflects UV and heat, rather than absorb it.
I agree that white stays a lot cooler than dark colors, and doesn't show dust/fingerprints, etc....but it is notorious for showing stains. You often have to do a lot of scrubbing and work with scratch/stain-removers to keep it looking nice.

White is also a good color for safety in low-visibility conditions and at night, where it stands out and is more visible. Light-Gray and Medium-Gray vehicles, in particular, tend to blend in with the asphalt color, and not be as visible except for the running-lights.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-27-23 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-27-23 | 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Silver is just as good as white in those regards, and is a little more interesting...

This doesn't affect today's vehicles, but just FYI, it used to be, back before the days of clearcoat paint, that silver and red were two colors that faded out and oxidized very quickly unless you religiously kept them waxed. That is because the red-pigment contained small microscopic particles of iron, which gave it its red color (same way that iron in your blood-cells colors them red), and when those iron particles come in contact with oxygen in the air, they oxidize and cause the paint to fade and get cloudy. The silver metallic faded, of course, because of the metallic particles that gave it that silvery-texture in the first place. Modern clearcoats, however, prevent that fading by insulating the pigments in the paint from oxygen in the air, and also thereby greatly reducing the need for waxing.

I did a Car Chat thread, some time ago, on what I thought were the ten most important auto-engineering advancements in history, and, IMO, clearcoat paint was one of them. EFI, electronic ignition systems, car-based AWD, disc brakes, rack-and-pinion steering, the three-point safety-belt system, heat/air-conditioning, unleaded gas/catalytic-converters, and keyless entry/fobs are also on the list.
Old 06-27-23 | 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like you said, doesn’t effect todays cars since they have been clearcoated for decades, so it’s a non issue.
Old 06-27-23 | 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like you said, doesn’t effect todays cars since they have been clearcoated for decades, so it’s a non issue.

It's nice to know what today's clearcoat saves us from, though. I spent many hours, in my youth, in the hot sun and humidity, sweating, doing work on finishes that clearcoat keeps us from having to doing today. GM's paint, back then, was especially hard to care for because they used acrylic-lacquer instead of the more durable baked-enamel Ford and Chrysler used. It gave a smoother finish than enamel, but faded out much more quickly without plenty of wax to protect it.

Of course, the clearcoat itself can also be harmed or damaged if you don't keep IT properly cleaned. Some forms of acid-containing bird-droppings and road-tar are notorious for that, and for making rough splotches in the finish. Sometimes SCRATCH-OUT can handle that....sometimes not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-27-23 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-27-23 | 07:02 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Does it make your heart throb or make your eyes hurt. lol

I think it's a Tesla but didn't see any badges so guessing it's a wrap?
PS- I'll save my ideas on resale until I hear some feedback on this first. haha

Mint color with pink highlights, saw this today.

Old 06-27-23 | 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Does it make your heart throb or make your eyes hurt. lol

I think it's a Tesla but didn't see any badges so guessing it's a wrap?

Mint color with pink highlights.

Yes, that's a Tesla. I've actually seen a baby-blue Tesla very close to that color.....but without the pink-accents.
Old 06-28-23 | 04:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

FIAT will no longer sell grey cars in the UK:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publ...ptimism/285901

mmarshall, have you joined FIAT’s marketing dept? 😀

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll