Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 11:57 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

When I got my Escalade appraised, I was told if it was black, it would be worth more due to high demand from the car service companies.
Old 06-13-23, 12:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i found from talking to a dealer salesmen that buying a black car is usually done from new, and he found that folks mostly stayed away from black when buying a used car. his conjecture was that the black car looked best when brand new, but showed it's age/imperfections more obviously when used, thus affecting their desirability = price!

case in point, i was in the market for a new used vehicle and i personally stayed away from the color black. i kept finding more black models than anything else! but perhaps it was all in my head...
A good friend of mine owns a used car lot and he generally only buys black or silver cars from auctions because he can move those off the lot the quickest and he is very good at what he does so not sure I agree black doesn’t sell in the secondary market. Hell, he has been daily driving a black Ferrari California the last few months that he bought to sell and owns a Maserati in black because he knows he can sell them quickly if he needs to.
Old 06-13-23, 02:05 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
A good friend of mine owns a used car lot and he generally only buys black or silver cars from auctions because he can move those off the lot the quickest and he is very good at what he does so not sure I agree black doesn’t sell in the secondary market. Hell, he has been daily driving a black Ferrari California the last few months that he bought to sell and owns a Maserati in black because he knows he can sell them quickly if he needs to.
Black is killer if you know how to make it look good for a sale, also very easy to hide body work from untrained eyes. It is also one of the most desired colors for people who are buying their first "real" car for some reason...
Old 06-13-23, 02:18 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Black is killer if you know how to make it look good for a sale, also very easy to hide body work from untrained eyes. It is also one of the most desired colors for people who are buying their first "real" car for some reason...
The first car I bought on my own was a 2006 black dodge charger. It was in the showroom so it looked great. I regretted it awhile later because it wasn't garaged and stayed dirty no matter what.
Old 06-13-23, 02:19 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Black [...] is also one of the most desired colors for people who are buying their first "real" car for some reason...
Good decisions come from wisdom and experience. Wisdom and experience come from bad decisions.
Old 06-13-23, 02:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
The first car I bought on my own was a 2006 black dodge charger. It was in the showroom so it looked great. I regretted it awhile later because it wasn't garaged and stayed dirty no matter what.
Originally Posted by geko29
Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.
Amen to black cars being hell to keep nice, I made that mistake with my 2015 A8

Haha! Yeah very true, I am still trying to financially recover from my first car.....to be fair it did allow me to learn an insane amount but I still spent far far far more than I will ever get back.

First car I bought totally on my own was the LS430, followed by the LS460 and now the W12. I had help with the 4.0TT, truck was given to me as my first car and the Jeep was so cheap I don't really count it? I also leased a few cars but those don't count since they are just leases.
Old 06-13-23, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Although it used to be red, particularly for sports cars, black is often seen today, somewhat stereotypically, as the rebel color of those who like to drive aggressively and thumb their noses at society. It used to the the color of hearses, limos, clergy-vehicles, and quiet elegance in luxury cars, but things have changed somewhat in recent years.
Old 06-13-23, 06:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

It makes it easier for sure, let's me pretend it's fine for like a week or so before I end up doing a three step correction lol!

I just really like the look, reminds me of bare metal in some light and mercury in others. I know it's boring and all but it just looks great to me. I also like black but honestly after owning one never again.....I can't even touch it without leaving a fingerprint you can see from 20ft away! Drives me absolutely insane and I have to detail spray/dust it off every time it is used or sits for a few days.

Silver still looks great IMO and you can ignore so much more....issues/dirt are still there but from 5 ft back you can't see them/have the compulsion trigger to clean it immediately. Interiors though I really like browns and hyper bright/aggressive reds. Grey/white is awesome as well if you don't have to deal with other people ever lol!
Yeah I never really knew how badly the Iridium IS 350 needed correction... I have to say, as pretty as Infrared is, it is a lot easier to see smaller imperfections in it. Like, I can see on the driver's side where I have been brushing against the front edge of the rear door trying to squeeze in due to being close to the wall in my garage. (I immediately polished those off and swore to be more careful after that!) Who knows how long I was doing that to my prior IS 350? I probably never would have known.

Our new X3 already has a bunch of micro scratches on the hood, from who knows what? They were there before I even washed it. Maybe the dealership put it through a tunnel wash? But either way, it seems like a crapshoot trying to keep paint in good shape on cars that are used a lot, especially sans PPF.
Old 06-13-23, 06:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

When it comes to the Toyota FJ Cruiser there is only one legit color available, and it must be Blue!

It should be the law!
Spoiler

I wanted one of these soooo bad and wife HATED it. haha
No problem except I decided to go down to one car since she almost never drives but she does all the grocery shopping and this truck scares her, have no idea why.

When I was looking for one of these I would not consider any other color.
Any other color was like it never existed, completely worthless and has no resale value $$$, Nah, I'll pass. haha

Yeah, I know that sounds crazy but for an FJ, it has to be BLUE or I don't want it. lol

Last edited by Margate330; 06-13-23 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-13-23, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
When it comes to the Toyota FJ Cruiser there is only one legit color available, and it must be Blue!

It should be the law!
Spoiler

I guess you didn't see one in the other bright colors....or the Army Green. Or were you just enamored with the blue? I'll admit it is a sharp color.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-23 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-23, 08:17 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 834 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't care. It's my car during my ownership, and I'm getting a color I want. I'm not getting a car for the next owner.
Yup, 100% . I could care less about the next guy. I've always bought the colour combo that I wanted since I'm the one who's going to be driving and enjoying that car.
I've had red 3 times (including my current IS500), black twice, teal (fantastic colour - switches from blue to green & fascinating sprectrum in between), and grey twice.
Didn't have any problems with re-sale or the like. Didn't even cross my mind as a consideration.
Old 06-14-23, 10:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Yup, 100% . I could care less about the next guy. I've always bought the colour combo that I wanted since I'm the one who's going to be driving and enjoying that car.
I've had red 3 times (including my current IS500), black twice, teal (fantastic colour - switches from blue to green & fascinating sprectrum in between), and grey twice.
Didn't have any problems with re-sale or the like. Didn't even cross my mind as a consideration.
Yep. I waited for an Infrared IS 500 at MSRP to show up in my area. I almost caved and went for Ultra White or Atomic Silver, but that Infrared got my butt out of my seat like no other color would.

I saw the color in person on multiple cars before I saw it on an IS, but man, something about the IS worked even better with the color. I had to have it. Resale was not even remotely considered.
Old 06-14-23, 11:46 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess you didn't see one in the other bright colors....or the Army Green. Or were you just enamored with the blue? I'll admit it is a sharp color.

I've always been afraid of resale and getting a color that was "undesirable".

Only reason I was willing to GO BOLD on a blue FJ Cruiser is because I saw online it was a popular color so I was less worried about resale.

But, from what most of ya'll are saying I shouldn't worry to much about is and get what I want.

That makes me feel better. 😀

Ps, I do like the red one too.
Old 06-14-23, 01:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't care much about the impact on resale, I pick a color I like.

If buyers have a problem with Ruby Red Metallic, that's their problem.
Old 06-14-23, 02:44 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Don't care much about the impact on resale, I pick a color I like.

If buyers have a problem with Ruby Red Metallic, that's their problem.
HonestlY, I'm really starting to wonder who it benefits the most on the neutral colors.

The car lots wanting to sell cars that move inventory faster or the end user who has to drive it.

I swear I've heard it preached all my life to stay away from anything but the neutrals.

White, silver, and black, rinse and repeat. Lol

Sounds like the car dealers like that idea more than the person who has to drive it.

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll