Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

My own experience has been over the years that color doesn't really affect resale that much. What matters most is condition, mileage, and freedom from accidents. In fact, one of the best trade-ins I ever got was on a bright-yellow IS300.
Old 06-14-23, 06:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My own experience has been over the years that color doesn't really affect resale that much. What matters most is condition, mileage, and freedom from accidents. In fact, one of the best trade-ins I ever got was on a bright-yellow IS300.
It’s not absolute but in general I agree with the research in the video vs anecdotal experience. It really depends on the car and how limited and desirable a color is but all other things equal, color does matter.
Old 06-14-23, 07:26 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 834 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
HonestlY, I'm really starting to wonder who it benefits the most on the neutral colors.

The car lots wanting to sell cars that move inventory faster or the end user who has to drive it.

I swear I've heard it preached all my life to stay away from anything but the neutrals.

White, silver, and black, rinse and repeat. Lol

Sounds like the car dealers like that idea more than the person who has to drive it.
Fully agreed . Just like the realtors. Don't make that renovation to your house because the next owner might not like it. Get lost. I LIKE IT. I'm living in this house. Who gives a flying f$@& about the next owner.
Old 06-14-23, 07:30 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 834 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yep. I waited for an Infrared IS 500 at MSRP to show up in my area. I almost caved and went for Ultra White or Atomic Silver, but that Infrared got my butt out of my seat like no other color would.

I saw the color in person on multiple cars before I saw it on an IS, but man, something about the IS worked even better with the color. I had to have it. Resale was not even remotely considered.
IMO, Infrared really only works on a select few types of cars, like the current gen IS , LC500, RCF, and I guess that's about it. That colour could never pass on an RX, NX, ES, LS , etc.
Old 06-14-23, 08:10 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Color, like everything on a used vehicle, effects the value. I sold cars for a long time, not only would an unusual color generate a deduction when the ACV was calculated, but also the new car managers would specifically order some vehicles with no options and in the worst color so they could use it as the low price example in the advertisement so we could get people to come in with the idea that they could actually get a $10,000 discount on a $25,000 Explorer, but when the customer found out the ad vehicle didn’t have air conditioning or power windows, but it was also brown, and they would be asking me questions that I loved to hear, like, how much more will it cost to get a white one?
Old 06-15-23, 04:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always been afraid of resale and getting a color that was "undesirable".
Your car looks like it's at least 15 years old. I can't imagine the color would change the value by more than $50 at this point.
Old 06-15-23, 06:03 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
Your car looks like it's at least 15 years old. I can't imagine the color would change the value by more than $50 at this point.
this should kinda crap should get left in your toilet in the morning instead of bringing it in here.
Old 06-15-23, 06:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods801
this should kinda crap should get left in your toilet in the morning instead of bringing it in here.
It's ok no harm was intended, just joking around, we are all friends here. 🙂

Probably a question many may be wondering too.

I didn' t always drive old cars and family comes first so I'll leave it at that as to why I haven't stroked a check and got something newer.

Before the market got over priced and ridiculous I was thinking about buying a newer RX350 I saw for private sale.

Price was right and they usually get scooped up super fast if condition and service history are excellent.

I was thinking about buying it because it was mint and serviced.

As I was watching the listing over 3 months, I was shocked it didnt sell fast.

It was a Cranberry color that I didn't like even tho it was a good car.

That got me thinking, If I bought that car would I be the next person waiting 3 months to sell it? Lol.

Then I wondered if he took a big loss because of the Cranberry color.

Ps-I don't buy new cars anymore after what I've been thru but if I drove a lot of miles I would consider it. I don't like car payments.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-15-23 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 07:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Why? There's nothing wrong with keeping cars a long time. But doing so is inconsistent with worrying about resale value. It's 100% relevant to the conversation of resale value. I'm sorry I didn't articulate this point, directed at someone else, to your liking--you have defended his honor most admirably, tho.
Old 06-15-23, 07:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Have Yall priced used cars lately?
Now write a check for one and see if resale value matters. Lol

Last edited by Margate330; 06-15-23 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 04:17 PM
GonzoSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to the Toyota FJ Cruiser there is only one legit color available, and it must be Blue!

It should be the law!
Spoiler

I wanted one of these soooo bad and wife HATED it. haha
No problem except I decided to go down to one car since she almost never drives but she does all the grocery shopping and this truck scares her, have no idea why.

When I was looking for one of these I would not consider any other color.
Any other color was like it never existed, completely worthless and has no resale value $$$, Nah, I'll pass. haha

Yeah, I know that sounds crazy but for an FJ, it has to be BLUE or I don't want it. lol
Facts. Although blue is the only color I'd choose for any car haha but an FJ Cruiser belongs in blue and should be enforced by law. I'm happy that Toyota has the best blues in the business. Although I saw a hideous looking BMW Xsomething yesterday in a gorgeous dark blue that looked like you could fall into it. Structural Blue is probably my number one right now. If anyone here hasn't seen the YouTube video on the development of it I highly recommend it.
Old 06-15-23, 04:37 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why? There's nothing wrong with keeping cars a long time. But doing so is inconsistent with worrying about resale value. It's 100% relevant to the conversation of resale value. I'm sorry I didn't articulate this point, directed at someone else, to your liking--you have defended his honor most admirably, tho.
i didn’t realize this conversation was among friends, The first time I read it, I thought it was mocking about their car not being new and just have a general dislike of mean or judgmental comments, my apologies, I see now it wasn’t meant that way
Old 06-16-23, 08:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

i didn’t realize this conversation was among friends, The first time I read it, I thought it was mocking about their car not being new and just have a general dislike of mean or judgmental comments, my apologies, I see now it wasn’t meant that way
"It's all good in the hood". Lol

Yeah, I'm same way and I think most people are on here.

We have rich people, poor people, and everything in between, it's all good and everyone's opinion matters, rite on!

Looks like the votes so far suggest not to worry about color too much, at least so far.

If ya'll haven't voted, get your votes in and make 'em count!

Have a CRAZY color car?

Don't be shy, tell us about it or post it up and I promise you will get a fair assessment on how bad it will hurt or help when it's time for resale. Haha Shazam, rite on!

Old 06-16-23, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

"It's all good in the hood". Lol

Yeah, I'm same way and I think most people are on here.

We have rich people, poor people, and everything in between, it's all good and everyone's opinion matters, rite on!

Looks like the votes so far suggest not to worry about color too much, at least so far.

If ya'll haven't voted, get your votes in and make 'em count!

Have a CRAZY color car?

Don't be shy, tell us about it or post it up and I promise you will get a fair assessment on how bad it will hurt or help when it's time for resale. Haha Shazam, rite on!
I'll 'fess up.... my car is orange.
Old 06-16-23, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would vote for a fourth option not currently on the poll...Yes, it does affect resale value, but it should not be doing so. Manufacturers should simply offer and produce more colors, so that some of them are not such in short supply or unavailable.
Why shouldn’t it? It impacts resale value because more people want some colors and less people want other colors. So cars in colors most people want are worth more, and cars in colors less people want are worth less. Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll