Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why shouldn’t it? It impacts resale value because more people want some colors and less people want other colors. So cars in colors most people want are worth more, and cars in colors less people want are worth less. Pretty simple.
Well, then, that itself begs the question, which we have discussed before in other Car Chat threads............are people buying these neutral colors because they actually WANT them, or simply because they are readily available on dealer-lots, and, being strapped for time as many people are today, they simply don't want to have to put in a special-order and wait several months, like I did for my Cinnamon/Bronze-colored Encore GX? I've said many times before....you cannot sell what you don't produce. My next-door neighbor, for instance, hunted and waited a long time for a reddish-orange Bronco Sport.
Old 06-16-23, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, then, that itself begs the question, which we have discussed before in other Car Chat threads............are people buying these neutral colors because they actually WANT them, or simply because they are readily available on dealer-lots, and, being strapped for time as many people are today, they simply don't want to have to put in a special-order and wait several months, like I did for my Cinnamon/Bronze-colored Encore GX? I've said many times before....you cannot sell what you don't produce. My next-door neighbor, for instance, hunted and waited a long time for a reddish-orange Bronco Sport.
The fact that some colors bring more money than other colors on the used market tells you that demand is higher for them. This is business 101. If there were all this demand for different colors, you would see the market show that and there would not be a difference in value or the unusual colors would actually be worth more.

Carmakers know their business, they know what colors people want. Its like when we sell homes...we paint them grey inside because thats the color that appeals to and is inoffensive to the largest group of people. I can tell you with total confidence a house full of colorful paint will take longer to sell and sell for less.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-16-23 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 08:33 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 994 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'll 'fess up.... my car is orange.
I think ur just messin' with us, for real you car is orange?

For anybody else I could believe with no pic but I had you pegged for ultra conservative for colors and was guessing white or silver.

Cool deal but if your car is an RX350 you may be sitting on it a little while if trying to sale privately. Probably have to trade it in to Carmax or car dealer to get out quick when its time for resale.

But if something sporty, I can see fast sale with good resale value.

Just guessing guys, I am not a pro at this. Lol
Old 06-16-23, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that some colors bring more money than other colors on the used market tells you that demand is higher for them. This is business 101. If there were all this demand for different colors, you would see the market show that and there would not be a difference in value or the unusual colors would actually be worth more.
The used-car market is not necessarily like the one for new vehicles. With a new vehicle, a prospective buyer can, in some cases, at least order a color not in stock. That cannot be done with used vehicles, especially those out of production....it's basically take it or leave it, unless you want to do a lot of hunting on the internet and and perhaps dealing with unknown people or strangers far away.

And, of course, common sense and simple math would dictate that if mostly neutral colors were sold on these vehicles when new, that's what you are also going to mostly find on the used-car market as people trade them in, sell them, or come off-lease. The days of Earl Sheib's $29.95 Eco-Special vehicle-repaints in any shade you want are LONG gone LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-23 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The used-car market is not necessarily like the one for new vehicles. With a new vehicle, a prospective buyer can, in some cases, at least order a color not in stock. That cannot be done with used vehicles, especially those out of production....it's basically take it or leave it, unless you want to do a lot of hunting on the internet and and perhaps dealing with unknown people or strangers far away.

And, of course, common sense and simple math would dictate that if mostly neutral colors were sold on these vehicles when new, that's what you are also going to mostly find on the used-car market as people trade them in, sell them, or come off-lease. The days of Earl Sheib's $29.95 Eco-Special vehicle-repaints in any shade you want are LONG gone LOL.
Markets are markets. Buyer preferences in used cars are not different than new cars. All you have to do is talk to people in the business, it takes longer to sell a car in an unusual color than it does to sell a silver, white, black, etc car, and you see that in pricing. if the unusual colors were in demand, they would sell quickly and they would sell for more money. Its business 101. These are not opinions they're facts.

I realize you like unusual colors but a majority of people like the "safe" colors, which is they they have higher resale value.

Example...Euro Motorcars has a great spec 2022 S580 that is on the showroom floor and is a managers special...leftover...why hasn't it sold when all the other identical ones have sold? Its green. All the white, silver, black, and grey ones are long sold. The GM of the dealership directly said to me the issue with it is that its green and people want silver, black, white, grey etc. The GM of one of the premier MB dealers in the country knows his business.
Old 06-17-23, 09:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Markets are markets. Buyer preferences in used cars are not different than new cars. All you have to do is talk to people in the business, it takes longer to sell a car in an unusual color than it does to sell a silver, white, black, etc car, and you see that in pricing. if the unusual colors were in demand, they would sell quickly and they would sell for more money. Its business 101. These are not opinions they're facts.

I realize you like unusual colors but a majority of people like the "safe" colors, which is they they have higher resale value.

Example...Euro Motorcars has a great spec 2022 S580 that is on the showroom floor and is a managers special...leftover...why hasn't it sold when all the other identical ones have sold? Its green. All the white, silver, black, and grey ones are long sold. The GM of the dealership directly said to me the issue with it is that its green and people want silver, black, white, grey etc. The GM of one of the premier MB dealers in the country knows his business.
Is it that really dark green/almost black color that MB has? If so I love that color but like other colors like that, my wife and I always say we like it for a little while but would get sick of it so we typically to stray from the standard colors because we know we won’t tire of them.

The exception to the rule of unusual colors are sports cars. Something like an orange viper in the last gen or certain color/stripe combo will go for a fair amount more than a standard red/black/silver one. My blue/white stripes 97 Viper sells for more easily over other colors of that year. Same goes for Lambos, NSXs, old Supras, etc.
Old 06-17-23, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, emerald green. It’s a beautiful color, but that would be my concern too, that I would get tired of it.

Agree that sports cars are different
Old 06-17-23, 10:34 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

I think the color of the vehicle does affect its resale value.
Old 06-17-23, 12:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I think ur just messin' with us, for real you car is orange?
Challenge accepted. Utah Orange

Old 06-17-23, 04:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 994 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Challenge accepted. Utah Orange

It's orange but not Tangerine orange.

I think it looks good and I don't see you getting hurt on resale

Plz I'm no car sale expert so just my opinion.
Old 06-17-23, 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That Utah Orange looks AWESOME! It will hurt on resale, but at the end of the day who really cares?
Old 06-17-23, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That Utah Orange looks AWESOME! It will hurt on resale, but at the end of the day who really cares?
Like I said earlier, might not even hurt on resale. One of the best trade-ins I ever got (KBB+) was on my bright solar yellow IS300.

I agree that the Utah Orange color is nice. That is very close (but not quite) to the color of my Encore GX in sunlight.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-23 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It will hurt on resale. But it looks great. You don’t know what you would have gotten for your IS300 if it were silver.
Old 06-18-23, 06:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Never care about resale value I would just get the colours I want, otherwise I would just buy Honda’s and other economy cars, many of them are nice enough…….
Old 06-18-23, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Never care about resale value I would just get the colours I want, otherwise I would just buy Honda’s and other economy cars, many of them are nice enough…….

On the subject of Honda economy cars, Civics and Fits used to come in some very interesting colors....purple, magenta, aqua/turquoise, lime green, yellow, etc.....Don't see that as much anymore.

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll