Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 08:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
It's orange but not Tangerine orange.

I think it looks good and I don't see you getting hurt on resale

Plz I'm no car sale expert so just my opinion.
Yeah but I don't care. I got the color for me, not the next guy.
Old 06-18-23, 08:39 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 994 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah but I don't care. I got the color for me, not the next guy.
Ok! Lol 😀

But other people like your color too so hopefully that lifts you up a little and feels good.

Even if it's just a little bit.
Old 06-18-23, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree black doesn’t sell in the secondary market.
Correct. Black and white both have a reputation for being difficult to clean and keep looking nice. Black shows every grain of dust, fingerprints, spring-pollen, scratch, salt-film, nick, and also heats up very rapidly in the sun. White says cooler in the sun, but is notorious for showing stains, smudges, brown/black tar-spots, grease, and oil marks.
Old 06-18-23, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Black and white are the most popular car colors, (some data sources say white is #1, some say black). 45-50% of cars sold are black and white, so again the argument that people don't want them doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-18-23, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Black and white are the most popular car colors, (some data sources say white is #1, some say black). 45-50% of cars sold are black and white, so again the argument that people don't want them doesn't make any sense.

Doesn't change the fact that both are relatively hard to clean. I will agree, though, that they sell in spite of that. White is especially popular with bulk-fleet/corporate sales in pickups/cargo-vans used in handyman-type of work.
Old 06-18-23, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't change the fact that both are relatively hard to clean. I will agree, though, that they sell in spite of that. White is especially popular with bulk-fleet/corporate sales in pickups/cargo-vans used in handyman-type of work.
White cars aren't hard to clean, I've had two of them. The key is you have to keep white cars from getting dingy and yellowing over time, where something like a silver car hides that. White is really forgiving about swirls and scratches, etc. Personally I would never own a black car, too much work.
Old 06-18-23, 01:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Black and white are not hard to clean; they just hide the dirt less, and need to be cleaned more often to look good. My son is now driving my black car which is now 9 years old. Not hard to clean at all, and still looks great when it is clean. But after a few days, you can see the dirt already.
Old 06-18-23, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Black and white are not hard to clean; they just hide the dirt less, and need to be cleaned more often to look good. My son is now driving my black car which is now 9 years old. Not hard to clean at all, and still looks great when it is clean. But after a few days, you can see the dirt already.

When I said hard to clean, I meant hard to KEEP clean...but I think the intent was obvious. I hear person after person, though, saying they will never have a black vehicle again. Others, though, don't care....they don't wash their vehicles very often anyway.
Old 06-18-23, 05:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

When I said hard to clean, I meant hard to KEEP clean...but I think the intent was obvious. I hear person after person, though, saying they will never have a black vehicle again. Others, though, don't care....they don't wash their vehicles very often anyway.
Well we can't read your mind and know what you meant. Saying "hard to clean" means something very different, and I don't think you want us assuming you mean something different.
Old 06-18-23, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, I thought you meant it was physically hard to clean...
Old 06-18-23, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, I thought you meant it was physically hard to clean...

For some people, ANY vehicle is physically hard to clean LOL. But, agreed.....I think we are all on the same page now.

And, speaking of that, how is the white paint job on your S, Steve? I know you try and take care of it....but is it showing any dark stains or discoloration?.....that often happens on white paint jobs if you aren't diligent with the care.

(That's also something, BTW, which SCRATCH-OUT excels in...getting out surface stains and discolorations)
Old 06-19-23, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, no stains or anything on mine but it gets washed at least once a week. I do find that stuff that builds up in the seams and around the trim and all is more noticeable than on a silver car.
Old 06-19-23, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, no stains or anything on mine but it gets washed at least once a week. I do find that stuff that builds up in the seams and around the trim and all is more noticeable than on a silver car.
It's difficult to avoid some of that, particularly during the spring pollen and tree-droppings season in April and May, when that stuff gets into cracks and nooks and mixes with rain water, forming a yellow or brown muck or paste. I spend time each year in June or so cleaning it all out....sometimes with an old toothbrush and water Your garage helps, of course, but it is still difficult to avoid some of it.
Old 06-19-23, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't use a toothbrush, they make specific detailing brushes for that task. Its just stuff that builds up when you don't get in really detailed every wash with a detailing brush. I use a carwash, and wipe down the car and do the wheels and windows afterwards so stuff in hard to reach places does get missed.
Old 06-19-23, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't use a toothbrush, they make specific detailing brushes for that task.
I also have (and use) a detail-brush. They are designed for delicate interior surfaces, not hard-plastic or sheet-metal-crannies outside, where those soft bristles would be al but useless.

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll