Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does a car's color affect the resale value?
Yes
73.08%
No
3.85%
Maybe a little but not much
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 08:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 994 Likes on 793 Posts
Default Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll

I've usually tend to play it safe and stick with Silver, Black, White, and Blue.

What yall think?

Does your car's color affect your resale value?

Old 06-12-23, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good video. I agree with much of it. I've never believed for a second that most people actually want vehicles in only neutral colors. The problem is that manufacturers often won't offer a wide array of rainbow-colors because it costs more to do so. And people often buy a neutral color because they often have little or no choice...dealers simply don't keep many rainbow colors in stock, and people often don't have time to wait for a special-order if the color IS available at all.

Also, perhaps in response to increasing public demand, some vehicles, particularly small subcompact crossovers, are now offering two-tones again.....bodies one color, and roofs another.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-23 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-12-23, 08:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Sure does in a lot of cases.
Old 06-12-23, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I would vote for a fourth option not currently on the poll...Yes, it does affect resale value, but it should not be doing so. Manufacturers should simply offer and produce more colors, so that some of them are not such in short supply or unavailable.
Old 06-12-23, 09:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

100% it does, most people don't want to keep a car all that long these days so resale and being as broadly inoffensive as possible is a high priority.
Old 06-13-23, 12:04 AM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

It probably does but I'm of the opinion that you should never compromise on the color or spec you want just because of resale value, that's the next person's problem. The mental anguish of seeing the exact car with the color and spec you wanted on the road isn't worth the depreciation . If your car has an enthusiast following, the unusual color could very much work in your favor. People will definitely go out of their way for that.

I saw a cornflower blue GTI on the freeway in California this weekend. Couldn't stop looking at it, what a color.

Old 06-13-23, 05:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't care. It's my car during my ownership, and I'm getting a color I want. I'm not getting a car for the next owner.
Old 06-13-23, 06:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I would say it does. I often hear people when they look at used cars tell me, "I would buy that car, but the colors is like ....."
Old 06-13-23, 07:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Try selling a yellow or beige car.

Most ppl want black, white, silver/grey.

Once you get to high end cars - then the exclusive rare colors make the car more valuable. For Example a yellow Carrera GT costs way more than a Silver one. But for regular cars, its best not to go with any wacky colors.
Old 06-13-23, 07:50 AM
GonzoSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Really depends on a lot of factors. If you have a factory common color it shouldn't matter. But if you have something aftermarket or stands out it could be good or bad depending on the buyer. Silver would be easy to attract most buyers because it's safe but if you have a powder blue LS430 there might be one person dying to have just that and would pay extra. It's a crap shoot.
Old 06-13-23, 09:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm boring and like silver the most, however the overall spec is very important to me and it took me over a year each to buy my cars since it was hard to find the exact spec and condition I wanted.
Old 06-13-23, 09:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't care. It's my car during my ownership, and I'm getting a color I want. I'm not getting a car for the next owner.
Same! I also don't want to deal with the hassle of selling private party so I usually trade it into a dealer anyway. Easy enough to get several quotes online
Old 06-13-23, 09:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm boring and like silver the most, however the overall spec is very important to me and it took me over a year each to buy my cars since it was hard to find the exact spec and condition I wanted.
Silver seems like a good color for resale value, since it seems to always look decent even when dirty or imperfect.
Old 06-13-23, 10:53 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i found from talking to a dealer salesmen that buying a black car is usually done from new, and he found that folks mostly stayed away from black when buying a used car. his conjecture was that the black car looked best when brand new, but showed it's age/imperfections more obviously when used, thus affecting their desirability = price!

case in point, i was in the market for a new used vehicle and i personally stayed away from the color black. i kept finding more black models than anything else! but perhaps it was all in my head...
Old 06-13-23, 10:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Silver seems like a good color for resale value, since it seems to always look decent even when dirty or imperfect.
It makes it easier for sure, let's me pretend it's fine for like a week or so before I end up doing a three step correction lol!

I just really like the look, reminds me of bare metal in some light and mercury in others. I know it's boring and all but it just looks great to me. I also like black but honestly after owning one never again.....I can't even touch it without leaving a fingerprint you can see from 20ft away! Drives me absolutely insane and I have to detail spray/dust it off every time it is used or sits for a few days.

Silver still looks great IMO and you can ignore so much more....issues/dirt are still there but from 5 ft back you can't see them/have the compulsion trigger to clean it immediately. Interiors though I really like browns and hyper bright/aggressive reds. Grey/white is awesome as well if you don't have to deal with other people ever lol!

Quick Reply: Does your car's color affect your resale value? Poll