Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM makes a ton of money on large trucks/SUVs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 10:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
To you. 9 seconds is fine for most folks driving. Most people aren't on car forums and couldn't care less about how fast their car speeds up. Lol

And how does it "put you firmly at the back of the pack in traffic"? You speed up in the acceleration lane then merge onto the interstate to drive with everyone else.. There is no issue in maintaining a speed of 65-70 in a car that does a 9 second 0-60.
You will get passed like crazy, you can't keep up with ebb and flow, interchanges are hell during rush hour, passing is impossible, and you fall behind on inclines unless you floor it. It sucks. I currently have a car in that range of performance and it is horrible to drive and once you try something better you can't really justify that level of suck for a new car anymore. Not a SINGLE person I have let drive of my cars or even come along during a normal drive can go back to their 9 sec range cars and view them the same, they all want something better once they experience it.

It may be exacerbated in my case since I know what my other cars can do and how effortless they feel so it makes my slow one feel like total trash though lol!
Old 06-21-23, 10:32 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I get it. I wouldn't be able to go back to my 05 Camry. Not after driving some of the cars I have, and they weren't anything special. Acura TL, Lexus ES350, LS430 (okay, that was special and I regret getting rid of it), 07 Avalon, and now my 08 RX350. Definitely faster than that Camry though.

I'm just saying that I really don't think that Camry would have trouble driving in day to day traffic. I had no issue. Believe me, I had a lead foot and I would regularly be in the 80-85 mph range in a 60 zone. I didn't have issues passing people that were going slow. Maybe traffic in Ohio is different than around here.
Old 06-21-23, 10:44 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

. .
Old 06-21-23, 10:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I get it. I wouldn't be able to go back to my 05 Camry. Not after driving some of the cars I have, and they weren't anything special. Acura TL, Lexus ES350, LS430 (okay, that was special and I regret getting rid of it), 07 Avalon, and now my 08 RX350. Definitely faster than that Camry though.

I'm just saying that I really don't think that Camry would have trouble driving in day to day traffic. I had no issue. Believe me, I had a lead foot and I would regularly be in the 80-85 mph range in a 60 zone. I didn't have issues passing people that were going slow. Maybe traffic in Ohio is different than around here.
Yes but how many years ago was that? Try an 05 4cyl Camry in modern traffic and you will see what I mean that it just doesn't cut it anymore in a lot of situations, all the other cars you listed are 6-7 second cars with WAY more average power/TQ output
Old 06-21-23, 11:02 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yes but how many years ago was that? Try an 05 4cyl Camry in modern traffic and you will see what I mean that it just doesn't cut it anymore in a lot of situations, all the other cars you listed are 6-7 second cars with WAY more average power/TQ output
I last had the car in March 2019, so not too terribly long ago. Sure I'd have trouble passing your car or some random V8 BMW but not all of those cars are about speed. It really depends. All I can do is go by how I drove that car and I didn't have many instances where I had trouble in day to day traffic on the highway/interstate. If I was behind some slow poke in the left lane and we were approaching a car in the right, I would have easily, not so with my Camry but with the Acura and Lexus, yeah not too hard again if it wasn't anything crazy like a 400 hp car and they were paying attention and didn't want me to pass, gone in the right lane to get in front of the car holding me up before he came neck to neck with the car in the right.

Part of it is knowing what kind of car I had. I knew the Camry wasn't a race car, so I didn't drive it like that. Unless I was just driving fast but again, I can't recall really any instances where I had trouble in daily driving to where I felt the car couldn't hold its own on the road.
Old 06-21-23, 11:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I last had the car in March 2019, so not too terribly long ago. Sure I'd have trouble passing your car or some random V8 BMW but not all of those cars are about speed. It really depends. All I can do is go by how I drove that car and I didn't have many instances where I had trouble in day to day traffic on the highway/interstate. If I was behind some slow poke in the left lane and we were approaching a car in the right, I would have easily, not so with my Camry but with the Acura and Lexus, yeah not too hard again if it wasn't anything crazy like a 400 hp car and they were paying attention and didn't want me to pass, gone in the right lane to get in front of the car holding me up before he came neck to neck with the car in the right.

Part of it is knowing what kind of car I had. I knew the Camry wasn't a race car, so I didn't drive it like that. Unless I was just driving fast but again, I can't recall really any instances where I had trouble in daily driving to where I felt the car couldn't hold its own on the road.
Fair, I guess I just prefer to be able to just "move" when and however I want to vs having to time anything or wait for openings.
Old 06-22-23, 05:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is completely different than just flat out saying "9 seconds is slow."
Not if you fully read all of the comments in context it isnt
Old 06-22-23, 07:56 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had some fast cars (BMW E92 M3 and Audi SQ5) and slow cars (Honda HR-V) ... Not once have I had issues driving in traffic. Those 0-60 times are flat out pedal to the floor metrics. In 20+ years of driving not once have I floored my cars driving in traffic. Only time 0-60 performance became an issue was passing on mountain passes, that was the only time I wish I had my more powerful vehicles.
Old 06-22-23, 08:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Malky
I've had some fast cars (BMW E92 M3 and Audi SQ5) and slow cars (Honda HR-V) ... Not once have I had issues driving in traffic. Those 0-60 times are flat out pedal to the floor metrics. In 20+ years of driving not once have I floored my cars driving in traffic. Only time 0-60 performance became an issue was passing on mountain passes, that was the only time I wish I had my more powerful vehicles.
Such a sad fate cars like that never got to live how they were designed.
Old 06-22-23, 09:18 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Such a sad fate cars like that never got to live how they were designed.
I did take my M3 out on a few early weekend trips, when no one was on the road. Get her to 150+, no use having a car like that and never exploring the performance. Also did some auto crossing.
Old 06-22-23, 09:35 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Malky
I did take my M3 out on a few early weekend trips, when no one was on the road. Get her to 150+, no use having a car like that and never exploring the performance. Also did some auto crossing.
Oh good good. It drives me insane to see cars like that never get to run!
Old 06-22-23, 10:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

My old Yukon was about 8.7 seconds 0-60 and it had more than enough pickup—around town, above 65 or so not so much. It did have a nice responsive torquey V8 so it felt good. Never felt slow around town. Never had a problem keeping up with traffic.

It’s just comical they are pushing for us to buy a $125k Escalade that’s slower than my old gen truck that just had the regular 5.3. Mags bought and paid for. What enthusiast would choose a slow diesel over an Escalade with the Corvette engine????
Old 06-22-23, 12:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Someone PLEEZ start a new thread on 0-60, if nobody wants to I can do it.
Old 06-22-23, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Someone PLEEZ start a new thread on 0-60, if nobody wants to I can do it.

Agreed. Please....back to big GM trucks/SUVs.
Old 06-22-23, 03:25 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not if you fully read all of the comments in context it isnt
Context is often lost by reading straight text. And yes, I did read all the comments...

You just like to argue with me since we disagree on virtually every single thing on this site.