Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My weekend (and then some) with the BMW X5 xDrive40i

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 09:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts
Default My weekend (and then some) with the BMW X5 xDrive40i

Another Rental Car Write-Up

To many car enthusiasts, it can be frustrating to see the crossover utility vehicle or SUV taking over the market of new car sales. Where Ford used to sell cars like the Fusion, they now only sell their crossover offerings like the Edge and Escape. The Lexus CT hatchback was recently replaced by the UX... in the North American market, at least. Even sporty cars like the Mitsubishi Eclipse live on as crossover vehicles, since the business case for a real Eclipse does not exist anymore. However, over at BMW, sedans and coupes are still going strong. There's still a 2-series sedan and coupe, 3- and 4-series sedans and coupes, a 5-series sedan, a 7-series sedan, and an 8-series coupe to top it all off. On top of that, we have the Z4 convertible. This low-slung lineup stands in defiance to BMW's stout lineup of SAVs, or Sports Activity Vehicles, as they like to call them - X1 through X7.

What I think makes the X5 and other BMW X vehicles different is that they are distinct from the traditional sedan counterparts in the lineup. Sure, a former BMW 5-series shopper might end up in an X5, but the X5 has been around for quite some time now. It's got its own identity, that being of a road-focused luxury SUV. The X5 started out as a byproduct of BMW's acquisition of Land Rover, but it has never seemed to be a clone of a Range Rover Sport. Today, it's probably just as well known as any Range Rover, as it's been the best-selling new BMW for some time. As someone who's only owned sedans and hatchbacks up until the very recent delivery of a new X3, I very much looked forward to renting an X5.

Family Matters

My sister was getting married this weekend, so it was off to Baltimore, Maryland where she is currently based to attend the ceremony and catch up. As such, we needed transportation. Since the airport was a nearly 30-minute drive from Baltimore proper, a rental car seemed justified. We booked "BMW X3 or similar", and, as it often happens, we ended up with a car one class up from the category we chose. In BMW terms, we went up from an X3 to an X5. Ours was an xDrive 40i with, apparently, minimal options. The panoramic sunroof was present, at least, along with some very comfortable seats, with softer leather than what I've found in "lesser" BMWs.

As we set off, I noticed right away that the X5 is a luxury vehicle through and through. Everything in the car I touched felt secure, and there was nary a creak or rattle even over rougher roads - of which we found plenty in downtown Baltimore. The steering is on the light side, though not as light as in our X3, and weights up just enough in turns that it doesn't feel disconnected from the front wheels.

Power from the single-turbo straight-six "B58" is more than adequate, should anyone try any funny business in town. It responds willingly if not outright immediately, and I must say, it purrs. Even in this relatively unsporting X5, the sound produced by the engine is pleasant, deep, and smooth. In Sport mode, the sound is much more present inside, probably due to an adaptive exhaust system with a flap that opens under certain conditions.

Handling is probably about what you'd expect from a car like this; it's a far cry from a 3-series but no more ponderous than an X3. The size of this car really isn't so noticeable other than the way it floats over bumps, as the turn-in response and control over body lean are good for its size. It actually is entertaining to drive in town, as the linearly-tuned brakes, light but precise steering, and progressive throttle all come together to make a car that always feels buttery smooth to drive. It goes without saying by now that the ZF 8-speed auto is just as good here as it is in our X3 back home, and it mostly stays out of the way when the car is driven in a civil manner.

Worth it over an X3?

Perhaps my biggest concern about having an X5 instead of an X3 or equivalent would be the buyer's remorse of going for the smaller car. In some ways, yes, I can see where the extra money went on this X5. However, it is indeed a lot more money than an X3, especially when you include desirable options. Is it really worth it to have the cool split-folding tailgate, stitching in places the X3 doesn't have it, and an inline-six-cylinder?

Tonight, I got a chance to drive our X3 around, and I have to say, a lot of the things I like about the X5 are still here in the X3. It's quiet, rides well, and generally feels more agile than it looks. While I think the X5 has a more stable, controlled feel on the road, it could just be due to the weight of the steering, which I think is too light in the X3. It's a slight difference, but enough to cross the line into slightly-over-boosted territory. Even with the larger differences, such as the engine and general attention to detail, the cars are clearly siblings. I think the superior size-to-interior-space ratio on the X3 makes it a more practical choice for most people. Indeed, the X5 does not feel a whole lot bigger inside than an X3, even if it initially feels bigger outside. A lot of that is down to headroom and width - where legroom is concerned, the two cars are close.

All in all, I love the X5. If I could convince my wife that she could handle something a little bigger - which, let's be honest, it's only a little bigger - and that it's worth the money, it would be cool to have. However, I don't know if "cool" is enough on its own. The engine is wonderful, though, and the X5 generally just feels one step more refined to drive than the X3. It's a better car, if not a better car for the money. This may sound crazy, but it may be among the best BMW cars I've driven. I just really enjoy it when BMW settles down and makes a car that is still entertaining to drive but is a comfortable cruiser first and foremost. They do it well!

Last edited by arentz07; 06-22-23 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 06:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I haven't sat in an X5 in at least 10 years. I've never been in an X3 or X7. The X3 wouldn't be a fit for our family needs, but an X7 certainly could be. I should probably at least take a look at the 5 and 7.

Out of curiosity, which car rental company did you use to rent this?
Old 06-23-23, 06:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I haven't sat in an X5 in at least 10 years. I've never been in an X3 or X7. The X3 wouldn't be a fit for our family needs, but an X7 certainly could be. I should probably at least take a look at the 5 and 7.

Out of curiosity, which car rental company did you use to rent this?
Enterprise. We pretty much always use them because we have an account with them. And this upgrade situation almost always happens, and we end up with a bigger car.
Old 06-23-23, 06:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Good review - The X5 is more luxurious than X3 and the ride is much more comfortable. The standard sport seats are worlds better than ones in X3.

X5 negatives are its much bigger without much more space in the back seats, I don’t like the split tailgate, even Msport brakes are very soft, doesn’t handle nearly as well as X3 M40i. The new one also has idrive 8 and lack of shifter which were big minuses for me.

Probably will get X5 next time.
Old 06-23-23, 08:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Good review - The X5 is more luxurious than X3 and the ride is much more comfortable. The standard sport seats are worlds better than ones in X3.

X5 negatives are its much bigger without much more space in the back seats, I don’t like the split tailgate, even Msport brakes are very soft, doesn’t handle nearly as well as X3 M40i. The new one also has idrive 8 and lack of shifter which were big minuses for me.

Probably will get X5 next time.
Agreed, it's a slightly nicer experience overall, but the space tradeoff hardly seems worth it. I think what you're really paying for is the comfort and some of the interior materials, especially on the seats. It's a sweet place to spend time.
Old 06-23-23, 09:13 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Great review. I enjoy reading. It's like you describe how I feel. You're good at writing stuff! You pretty much summed up well. I had a spanking new X3 Individual loaner once and I agree with you. I'm not a true car enthusiast so this "handling" is plenty for me. The most noticeable differences as you said are the materials/design used which can be felt right away when you look at the dash, the panels and even the display. Legrooms are ridiculously tight for its size but not that noticeable when compared to X3:39.8 inches / 37.4 vs. 40.3 in. / 36.4 in. The back is actually more spacious. But yes, when compared to GLE, it's ridiculous. I also feel more stable/"safer" in the X5. I really like how the engine sounds when in S+. It reminds me my GS F Sports. It also drives similar the GS F Sports IMO. They also have Iconic Sound feature for $100 if you want to pay. It makes it sound louder but a few think it's too fake. Most like it. It also lets you display tachometer on HUD if you want. M Suspension can also be purchased for $500. I'm more for comfort so I chose not to. All suspension are adaptive. It looks like the one you rented comes with either 19 or20". Mine is 21" and it's a bit more harsh because of RFs and less sidewall but I wanted the look. I swapped them with non RFs and they ride much better. The LCI has a few more HP. IMO, not having the shifter is not too bad because you have paddle shifters. But other stuff, iDrive 8, esps the new frontal design... I'm not used to them yet. So I think I will keep this one for awhile.
Old 06-24-23, 04:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Hi arentz,

I always like your rental car reviews.
Thank you for taking the time to post it up.

More posts equals more fun. Lol 😎
Old 06-25-23, 06:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi arentz,

I always like your rental car reviews.
Thank you for taking the time to post it up.

More posts equals more fun. Lol 😎
Haha thanks. I just really enjoy experiencing a new car now and then.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Great review. I enjoy reading. It's like you describe how I feel. You're good at writing stuff! You pretty much summed up well. I had a spanking new X3 Individual loaner once and I agree with you. I'm not a true car enthusiast so this "handling" is plenty for me. The most noticeable differences as you said are the materials/design used which can be felt right away when you look at the dash, the panels and even the display. Legrooms are ridiculously tight for its size but not that noticeable when compared to X3:39.8 inches / 37.4 vs. 40.3 in. / 36.4 in. The back is actually more spacious. But yes, when compared to GLE, it's ridiculous. I also feel more stable/"safer" in the X5. I really like how the engine sounds when in S+. It reminds me my GS F Sports. It also drives similar the GS F Sports IMO. They also have Iconic Sound feature for $100 if you want to pay. It makes it sound louder but a few think it's too fake. Most like it. It also lets you display tachometer on HUD if you want. M Suspension can also be purchased for $500. I'm more for comfort so I chose not to. All suspension are adaptive. It looks like the one you rented comes with either 19 or20". Mine is 21" and it's a bit more harsh because of RFs and less sidewall but I wanted the look. I swapped them with non RFs and they ride much better. The LCI has a few more HP. IMO, not having the shifter is not too bad because you have paddle shifters. But other stuff, iDrive 8, esps the new frontal design... I'm not used to them yet. So I think I will keep this one for awhile.
I think I'd do the same if I were you. The pre-LCI car feels just as up-to-date as it needs to. I question whether iDrive 8 provides any real functionality, and the vehicle itself doesn't seem to have gained any notable features, either. There's also the looks, which are a subjective thing.

I've seen a few LCI X5 examples in the wild, and they do look cool. However, more beautiful than the outgoing car? ... No.
Old 06-25-23, 09:27 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I've seen a few LCI X5 examples in the wild, and they do look cool. However, more beautiful than the outgoing car? ... No.
The noticeable cosmetic changes are the bumper, headlight and taillight. The bumper is beyond ugly IMO. The headlight is OK but not as nice as the upgraded pre LCI light IMO. I think the LCI X3's front looks better. The taillight looks cool. It looks like smoked light. The one feature that I think nice is the yellow thin signal light in the tail but if I remember correctly, it's not available in the US.