Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 05:36 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,116 Likes on 723 Posts
Default Initial Quality Study

There has been a lot of post here and the new RX forum from owners and potential owners about these new models and are there any problems. J D Power just came out with their 2023 Initial Quality Survey which looks at vehicles at the 90 day. So it is all those nagging issues when you first buy the vehicle. Their dependabiltiy study looks at three year old vehicles. Here Lexus is #1 and has been 23 of the last 28 years. On initial quality Lexus was tenth and sixth last year. Actually good report considering their two most popular selling vehicles the NX and RX had complete redesigns and especially new with infotainment systems. The hilarious thing is Tesla next to last place only beating a upstart Polestar.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-23-23 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 05:39 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Default Initial Quality Study

There have been lots of post here and the new NX forum about if any problems with these new models. Our 2023 NX 350h just had a six month anniversary and not one problem and a friend same vehicle four months old not one problem.

J D Power just came out with their 2023 Initial Quality Study which looks at vehicles at the 90 day mark. So it is all those nagging issues when you first buy the vehicle. Their dependabiltiy study looks at three year old vehicles. Here Lexus is #1 and has been 23 of the last 28 years. On initial quality Lexus was tenth and sixth last year. Actually good report considering their two most popular selling vehicles the NX and RX had complete redesigns and especially new with infotainment systems. The hilarious thing is Tesla next to last place only beating a upstart Polestar.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-23-23 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 05:42 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Until Lexus fixes the pin pop up nightmare in the interface I rank them last.
Old 06-23-23, 05:49 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 406 Posts

Initial quality survey is the first 90 days. It really just measures how well it is assembled at the factory (engineering can come into play on the success at assembly). Lexus will take a hit over the dash garnish on the RX on the next survey release. It has nothing to do with later reliability though.
Old 06-23-23, 05:50 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I certainly recognize JDPOWER as a respectable company that has long done great surveys that can be trusted. But ANY automobile study that has Dodge, Ram (essentially Dodge) and Alfa-Romeo as better than the rest, by a significant margin, has to be questioned. This survey cannot be serious. I am not buying this.
Old 06-23-23, 05:53 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daryll40
I certainly recognize JDPOWER as a respectable company that has long done great surveys that can be trusted. But ANY automobile study that has Dodge, Ram (essentially Dodge) and Alfa-Romeo as better than the rest, by a significant margin, has to be questioned. This survey cannot be serious. I am not buying this.
All they do is report what the owners responses are to the questions.
Old 06-23-23, 05:56 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
All they do is report what the owners responses are to the questions.
Maybe Dodge buyers just expect less. 🤣

I stand by my cynicism that something is wrong here.
Old 06-23-23, 06:12 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Until Lexus fixes the pin pop up nightmare in the interface I rank them last.
please describe… or will I understand that on the way home from the dealer
Old 06-23-23, 06:33 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Dodge, Ram, and Alfa have had the same vehicles in production for years, unlike other brands that have introduced new models in the past year or so. When it comes to the 3 year survey I'm sure these brands will be lower on the list.
Old 06-23-23, 06:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

My neighbor has a new Alfa Romeo and I have had to follow him to the dealer on two occasions so he could drop it off. Three days ago he found the battery dead when he tried to go to work! It is to be towed to the dealer today.
Old 06-23-23, 07:48 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

The Aflas indeed do have a lot of battery issues. I thought they had worked them all out by now, I guess not. I know from their forums that a batch of bad batteries made it into production, and they also had software issues with the "eco" algorithm that runs the AGM charging profile - it especially eats you up if you make alot of short trips.
Old 06-23-23, 08:08 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
please describe… or will I understand that on the way home from the dealer
He's talking about being continually asked to enter PIN code for the user's Lexus profile on the infotainment system. There is another thread about this, seems to affect a few owners.
Old 06-23-23, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I'm only responding to this continuous need for mostly one member to mention upstarts and how poor they are. I can back up every claim made here but will only post details on one.

Said upstart is also #1 in safety, by far... i mean by far. Objectively. especially compared with all those legacy brands.

Also #1 in sales and #1 in brand loyalty. Also separately from all those categories, #1 in EVs... by far. in every category. While Toyota was somewhere near the bottom in a recent 2023 study on EV progress of ALL of the world's brands.

also said upstart is the most valuable car brand. period.

Not bad for an upstart compared to 100+ year old companies.

According to a recent report by Brand Finance, Tesla has taken the lead in the automotive industry by becoming the world’s most valuable brand, with a staggering brand value of USD66.2 billion, which marks a 44% increase. For the first time, a brand that does not manufacture internal combustion engines has reached the top of the global rankings. Brand Finance conducts an annual evaluation of the biggest brands globally, and this year’s report, the Automotive Industry 2023 ranking, lists the most valuable and robust automobile brands.

Tesla’s brand is now worth over five times more than its pre-pandemic valuation, surpassing Toyota, last year’s leader, whose brand value has declined by 18% to USD52.5 billion, and Mercedes-Benz, the runner-up from last year, whose brand value has fallen by 3% to USD58.8 billion.
Old 06-23-23, 08:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

^also all that sales and popularity despite the low initial quality -- btw that's all QC/assembly problems at their austin and fremont plants which admittedly do have poor QC. the engineering and actual parts are out of this world excellent. it's the assembly and final QC that sucks.

FWIW, mine has been excellent. no misaligned anything, crooked anything, unlike both my 2021 ESes! I've never been so happy with any other of my 19 other cars. the Y is out of this world good. and i am super super picky.
Old 06-23-23, 09:16 AM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

We've had zero problems with our 2023.

There are a few software design issues that are annoying but not deal breakers yet.
  1. The pin popup every few months.
  2. The phone app with two drivers each with their own accounts and two Lexus vehicles one assigned to each person.
  3. The inability to turn off the Navigation subscription upsell as the first screen
  4. General radio tuning issues like no obvious way to do presets
  5. The inability to figure out mpg per tank. It resets the counter every time you press the record button in the head unit.

Last edited by Skedadle; 06-23-23 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Initial Quality Study