Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Premium" SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 10:04 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Premium" SUVs

Okay, about a month ago I posted a poll asking for inputs on some top-notch sports cars. Now I'm shifting my focus to SUVs, because I realize that having my high-power, high-torque RWD GS along with a totally impractical 2-seater will not work in this climate. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be that many choices in the upscale SUV market.

First, my constraints. I have no interest in any of the American products--no Escalade or Navigator or Tahoe for me. I don't really care about off-road performance, as this will be a purely urban machine. I can't stand the thought of driving a mini-van, but need something big enough to transport my DJ gear when I take it on the road. Here are the choices I've found along with my first impressions of each.

Lexus LX470: The early front-runner, because of the Lexus build quality and reliability. I'm a little concerned that the bodystyle is so old, and wondering when they might come out with a much-improved version.

Lexus GX470: Doesn't do much for me, styling-wise, so if I go Lexus it will be the LX.

Acura MDX: A solid performer in all categories, but just a little bland. I like to own vehicles that valet parkers leave sitting right in front (call me vain), and the MDX more than the LX, for example, would not qualify. Still, it offers a lot of luxury and quality at a great price.

Land Rover Range Rover HSE: I don't know much about Rovers, but for the price they want for one of these it better be incredible.

BMW X5: If they still offered the 4.6is I might be interested, but my previous bad experience with Bimmer will keep me away from the ho-hum 3.0i and 4.4i models.

Mercedes ML: Again, the AMG version is gone so there is no draw to get the ordinary, base models.

Porsche Cayenne: Butt-ugly; end of story.

Am I forgetting any other possibilities? Can anyone provide first-hand knowledge of any of these models? All inputs will be appreciated!
Old 11-02-03, 10:10 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, it might not match exactly what you're looking for but I would throw in the FX45.
Old 11-02-03, 11:27 AM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

is the RX330 out of the running?
Old 11-02-03, 12:09 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Yeah, I was gonna say the RX too, the GX and LX are both truck-based and the RX would be the best for handling, and doesn't the new RX330 have suspension that lowers the car at high speed? That's cool - also, I like the looks of the VW Touareg, which I guess shares a platform with the Cayenne - and I'm not offended by the Volvo XC70 either, a neighbor has one and loves it -

I have a cousin who has a Landrover, actually it's the wife's car, she loves it, I think it's crap - rough ride, high hard seats, noisy, ugly - my cousin drives an '86 Deville - does that qualify as an SUV?

Last edited by strongsail; 11-02-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-02-03, 09:38 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I know you said no to an escalade, but you should seriously consider the SRX. Its Caddilac's new SUV and I have heard nothing bad about it except for maybe some slight interior styling cue suggestions. Its powerful, can function as an SUV, and has the cool magnetic ride stability control. Just a thought.

Has anyone heard word of the V10 diesel Touarag (however the HELL you spell it) coming over to the states. Has something like 500 lbft of torque and over 300 hp...

James
Old 11-03-03, 08:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Audi Allroad??

The VW diesel is scheduled to make the trip according to the car mags. Faster 0-60 than the gasoline V8!!

LX and GX not supposed to be updated till 2006 with the LX possibly being Sequoia-based. And of course the RX hybrid is due next year (MY 05).

If the Infiniti QX56 has the same greenhouse as the Nissan, it's gonna be ugly.......but appears to be functionally a contender.

The Rover is incredible in many ways, including how rapidly things fall off of it and how residual values head straight down.................
Old 11-03-03, 09:13 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I love the outside of the FX. Used they are CHEAP to boot.
Old 11-03-03, 05:26 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the input, everyone. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Let me address some of the other suggestions that have been made:

Cadillac SRX: After a ridiculously bad experience with a Saturn, I vowed never again to buy a GM product. I haven't seen the SRX yet, but Cadillac's recent offerings have been hidiously angular to my eye.

Volvo XC90: I actually looked at these before they came out, but now that I see them on the road they are too station wagon-ish for me.

Audi Allroad: Another station wagon in disguise, not to mention the fact that I really don't like VW products and consider Audis to be simply overpriced VW's.

VW Touareg: I'd go for the Cayenne Turbo before getting a 'wagen.

Lexus RX330: A possibility, especially if the MDX becomes a serious contender. We had an RX300 as a service loaner and my wife liked it quite a bit, although compared to the GS I was underwhelmed by the total package. Still, the new RX has some really nice features and may bubble up when overall value is considered.

Infiniti QX56: I also have a dislike of Nissan products, but at least their recent offerings have been less offensive than in the past. I don't think the pictures posted here make it look any more ugly than an Escalade or Navigator, so although it's a longshot, this could be a possibility.

Infiniti FX45: God help me, I kind of like the looks of this car (and it's Murano counterpart). My wife finds it to be as hideous as the Aztek, though, so it won't even make the first cut.

Hummer: I'm surprised no one brought these up (to be honest I forgot and left them out of my original post). Basically, I think they're ridiculously overpriced and impractical. Great for cruising a war zone but not for my more mundane uses.
Old 11-03-03, 05:46 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Sequoia!!
Old 11-04-03, 06:46 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Porsche Cayenne: Butt-ugly; end of story.
that "butt ugly" porsche will take a GS down in the twisties and run him like a dog on the straits. I'll put one in my driveway anyday.

As far as what i can see, you may want to consider that an suv just isnt for you.
Old 11-04-03, 07:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Iceman,

I was in the same situation but decided to get my LS400 beater instead... I might sell it next year though just because I have my eye on another car the meets my needs better (and maybe yours from what I read)... It's a wagon so it hauls stuff, it's AWD and it (looks at least) fun to drive.

This is a little departure from your list above, but I hope the AWD will help in weather conditions as they occur, plus the power and speed is a nice bonus (similar to Subaru WRX STi). Won't come out until next model year (2005) from what I read.

Subaru Legacy Spec - B

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...306scc_legacy/

Old 11-04-03, 07:06 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Dave, that is "all you" man.
Old 11-04-03, 02:47 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No choice here, gotta go with the RX-330 over the Spec-B from those pics.
Old 11-04-03, 02:55 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Originally posted by O. L. T.
that "butt ugly" porsche will take a GS down in the twisties and run him like a dog on the straits. I'll put one in my driveway anyday.

As far as what i can see, you may want to consider that an suv just isnt for you.
Thats only the turbo version, the non-turbo is pretty slow, 0-60 in 7.4. The turbo costs like 80-90 LARGE!

How bout a 03 Navigator?
Old 11-04-03, 04:28 PM
phluid
Lead Lap

I would definently mark the range rover off the list, that is the biggest overprice piece of $h1t for a car that I have ever seen.. I have a friend who has a 99 and has already replaced the air shocks 3 times at 2500 a pop and has tranny problems.. everyone I know with a rover has constant problems and they pay out the a$$ to get them fixed.. I would go with the LX but that is just me, I will probably be getting one within the next 2 - 3 months

Quick Reply: "Premium" SUVs