Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This Yukon is up to my chest area just like you said, lol.

What engine did that Suburban have? The 5.3 is fine, gets job done but really really underpowered considered what else is out there. I did have a say in it ABSOLUTELY having to be a Denali, absolute dealbreaker just for that 6.2 alone. They're going out with a bang, one of the best V8s out there. I can't describe how fast that thing gets out of the hole, it's ridiculous. My LX is quick, satisfyingly quick, but lord, this Yukon would leave it in the dust fast.
I'm sure it was the 5.3 being a rental, it was a Premier trim though
Old 06-28-23, 06:50 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

If I was to switch to GM, I'd buy the 6.2. No way could I go to a 5.3 after having my 5.0 for 6 years now. The 5.3 is just too anemic now.
Old 06-28-23, 07:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If I was to switch to GM, I'd buy the 6.2. No way could I go to a 5.3 after having my 5.0 for 6 years now. The 5.3 is just too anemic now.
Yep. Just no way. The 5.3s do provide decent performance which is the thing, but hell no....you always want the biggest, best engine. 6.2L is huge, you feel it instantly when you nail the gas. This could be the last great mainstream GM V8, quite possibly. The new one coming out I'm hopeful for but I hope it's not neutered with emissions crap because this one really isn't. For example, Honda brought back their V6 but there's no VTEC because of.....CAFE! Thanks again Uncle Sam.

Can anyone imagine how sweet a modern V6 VTEC Honda motor would be???????????

Last edited by AJT123; 06-28-23 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 07:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I look at the 6.2l as a lifetime engine.

Over powered and never breaks a sweat. Lol
Old 06-28-23, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would get the 6.2 also, because why not?
Old 06-28-23, 10:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would get the 6.2 also, because why not?

I can just imagine what the MPG will be like on a gas-powered 6.2L in a vehicle this size and weight, particularly in stop/go driving, although those who typically buy one probably don't care....they know they will be spending a lot of $$$$ at the pumps, and simply accept it.
Old 06-28-23, 11:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can just imagine what the MPG will be like on a gas-powered 6.2L in a vehicle this size and weight, particularly in stop/go driving, although those who typically buy one probably don't care....they know they will be spending a lot of $$$$ at the pumps, and simply accept it.
It's worth it, none of my cars are good on gas by modern standards but I never really think of it that way since I came from 9.3 mpg on my first car. Anything 20+ is magical to me
Old 06-29-23, 06:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was VERY close to pulling trigger on one (Yukon) this week... excellent vehicle... however, as of Tues, went with Traverse Redline... I can live with 3.6L... checks EVERY box for me/family/travel...

GO DAWGS!!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 06-29-23 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-29-23, 07:09 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the new digital dash on 22, mines is 21 XL 6.2 and this big "female dog" drinks lol. Definitely not my daily, but she does the job on road trips, or hanging out with friends that shortest is 6ft tall, Only issue I will ever have is, parking sucks and its a better version of this truck called ultimate, which i want badly beside Escalade V. Few pic
1. When I 1st got her; I will never use a shovel again lol

Old 06-29-23, 07:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm surprised that the Denali requires premium. I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here, but if the LX is just a Land Crusier with a Lexus badge and the Land Cruiser is fine with regular (so people argue that LX doesn't need premium)... what makes the Denali any different than a regular Yukon, Tahoe, or Suburban? When I rented the Suburban and went to fill it up the inside of the gas tank didn't say anything about Premium. So what gives?
Old 06-29-23, 08:12 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm surprised that the Denali requires premium. I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here, but if the LX is just a Land Crusier with a Lexus badge and the Land Cruiser is fine with regular (so people argue that LX doesn't need premium)... what makes the Denali any different than a regular Yukon, Tahoe, or Suburban? When I rented the Suburban and went to fill it up the inside of the gas tank didn't say anything about Premium. So what gives?
I put premium in mines off rip, didnt need GMC to tell me so, just like if i own an LX, RR or X7 premium all the way
Old 06-29-23, 10:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Photo dump will follow this, I'll try not to ramble too much. Also let me say that I am slightly biased toward GM trucks because I had one.. Though I won't let it affect this review except I'm going to gush about the V8. This is not my vehicle, unfortunately, but I helped with the process etc.
Ok, serious question.

Imagine a scene in a movie and while the villian gets away you have to choose between saving one person or another.

I know how much you love your LX and you really like this Yukon too.

Soooo.

If the villian was getting away and you can only save one car and have to sacrifice the other, which would you pick?

I think I would save the Yukon if it was me. Lol 😃

PS but I would be very sad for the LX and it would be a tough call.
Old 06-29-23, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not so much worse than the 5.3...

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Was VERY close to pulling trigger on one (Yukon) this week... excellent vehicle... however, as of Tues, went with Traverse Redline... I can live with 3.6L... checks EVERY box for me/family/travel...

GO DAWGS!!!
Congrats! The Traverse is often overlooked but is a nice vehicle, tons of space.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
All the 6.2s require premium, Chevy, GMC whatever.
Old 06-29-23, 11:50 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

All the 6.2s require premium, Chevy, GMC whatever.
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.
Old 06-29-23, 12:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

GM full sizers are impressive! They've come a long way. I do think they've bastardized Denali a bit, Denali used to mean the whole shebang, but now there's Denali and Denali Ultimate that you'd have to step up to for the full kit.

Also think it's silly that the 3rd rows in both the Yukon and Yukon XL's don't recline at all. Just one fixed upright position and then obviously the folded position.

Very well behaved and great all around packages for sure for those with the budget and gas budget.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...