Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 01:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can just imagine what the MPG will be like on a gas-powered 6.2L in a vehicle this size and weight, particularly in stop/go driving, although those who typically buy one probably don't care....they know they will be spending a lot of $$$$ at the pumps, and simply accept it.
Bad, I basically burned a half a tank of gas in 90 minutes or so but I was flogging it, test driving it hard. But owners who buy $80k trucks generally don't care. In this case it is absolutely not an issue, premium required and all.

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's worth it, none of my cars are good on gas by modern standards but I never really think of it that way since I came from 9.3 mpg on my first car. Anything 20+ is magical to me
Agree. Striker, I think even you would be impressed at the pull of this V8, not necessarily the numbers it lays down but just the engine in general. It's A+ stuff. It's a more refined drivetrain than in my LX (my LX isn't NOT refined....this GMC motor is just that good) and it just FLIES out of the hole but in general too.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Was VERY close to pulling trigger on one (Yukon) this week... excellent vehicle... however, as of Tues, went with Traverse Redline... I can live with 3.6L... checks EVERY box for me/family/travel...

GO DAWGS!!!
Congrats, those are great vehicles....we have an Enclave. And I love the all black. The GM 3.6 engine is a GEM. About as good as you're going to get with a NA V6. It's a lovely engine in the Buick.

Originally Posted by Diemellz
I love the new digital dash on 22, mines is 21 XL 6.2 and this big "female dog" drinks lol. Definitely not my daily, but she does the job on road trips, or hanging out with friends that shortest is 6ft tall, Only issue I will ever have is, parking sucks and its a better version of this truck called ultimate, which i want badly beside Escalade V. Few pic
1. When I 1st got her; I will never use a shovel again lol
That's bad ***. This has 11 cameras so parking should be much easier than in the last car and yes, the digital cluster is much better I agree.

I feel you on the Denali Ultimate, but then you're into 6 figures. Might as well go 15k more for an Escalade at that point.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm surprised that the Denali requires premium. I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here, but if the LX is just a Land Crusier with a Lexus badge and the Land Cruiser is fine with regular (so people argue that LX doesn't need premium)... what makes the Denali any different than a regular Yukon, Tahoe, or Suburban? When I rented the Suburban and went to fill it up the inside of the gas tank didn't say anything about Premium. So what gives?
High compression, basically. The 6.2 is a "premium" engine. The Toyota 5.7 was very basic and ran fine on 87, including the LX equipped ones. Exact same engine built right along Land Cruiser that took 87. I have never even heard the slightest knock with my LX and I've tried like HELL to get it to. I've never seen evidence of regular fuel in any Lexus LX causing any issues, ever. But people can do what they want.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok, serious question.
Imagine a scene in a movie and while the villian gets away you have to choose between saving one person or another.

I know how much you love your LX and you really like this Yukon too.

Soooo.

If the villian was getting away and you can only save one car and have to sacrifice the other, which would you pick?

I think I would save the Yukon if it was me. Lol 😃

PS but I would be very sad for the LX and it would be a tough call.
I'd instinctively the $80,000 GMC for financial reasons lol but the LX is more special, so probably I'd save LX honestly. Insurance could get me a new one year old demo Denali again.

In other news, this does have an air suspension and fancy dampers. Air, versus hydraulic in my LX. Now this is what will be fin to compare and contrast. Like the LX, you can raise or lower it for ingress and for off roading. It's basically the same thing as AHC but GM version with air. I'll continue to analyze the ride, etc. It rides very well, as well as the LX does on the interstate.

Magnetic Ride Control (standard on Denali and AT4) uses sensors to continually read the road and alter the damping rate of the shocks. The AirRide Adaptive Suspension, paired with Magnetic Ride Control, helps provide a premium feel while maintaining confidence-inspiring handling. The air suspension also offers ride-height adjustment of up to 4 inches total and automatic self-leveling.

“The self-leveling feature helps with comfort and control, particularly when the vehicle is loaded with cargo and when trailering,” Kirbitz points out.

Drivers can raise the body up to 2 inches for additional ground clearance when driving off-road. For Yukon AT4 models equipped with the available air suspension, the additional ground clearance combines with a unique front fascia to further support off-road capability.

In higher-speed highway driving, the system automatically lowers Yukon’s ride height a ľ inch to improve aerodynamics. A driver-selectable setting enables a 2-inch drop to aid entry and exit when the vehicle is parked.

The system gives drivers the flexibility to program the vehicle to lower every time they get in or out. Or, they can choose to lower it temporarily when they need to load up the Yukon for a trip..

It's gonna be fun, that is basically the exact same thing as the suspension in my LX570 but air. It's going to be fun to compare and contrast. GM can make good fancy dampers, Ferrari uses them or used them among others.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-02-23 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 06:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I don't see many around but saw this one on Friday.

Old 07-02-23, 07:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
I don't see many around but saw this one on Friday.

That looks 95% as bad *** as an Escalade for $40,000 less. Same excellent drivetrain.
Old 07-02-23, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That looks 95% as bad *** as an Escalade for $40,000 less. Same excellent drivetrain.
Looks like something that the Secret Service would drive.

Old 07-02-23, 09:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Hah, thanks. It absolutely does. They drive Tahoes and Suburbans.

I wasn’t THAT crazy about the black wheels but I’ve come around. Bad ***, love them. The original owner paid over 3 grand for the rim upgrade.

Old 07-03-23, 06:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

i was thinking Men in Black too but couldn't find a pic to support my idea. Lol
Old 07-05-23, 11:15 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

is that really what it gets or is it bc you were flogging it?

i get angry at my measly 13mpg on my seguoia (1st gen)...
Old 07-05-23, 01:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
is that really what it gets or is it bc you were flogging it?

i get angry at my measly 13mpg on my seguoia (1st gen)...
No it should get 14-15MPG city if you drive gently. I’m really going to have fun with the start stop. It did it once on my drive, it was pretty seamless but I’d still never leave it on.

That 9mpg was after me driving it around for a while lol.

The engine is too quiet! The V8 ROARED in every gen until now. Monster 6.2 is there so it’s fine and you can still hear it but it needs to be louuuder. It does have a nice throaty exhaust, quad pipes and looks great.

Still haven’t taken delivery yet.
Old 07-05-23, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No it should get 14-15MPG city if you drive gently. I’m really going to have fun with the start stop. It did it once on my drive, it was pretty seamless but I’d still never leave it on.

The engine is too quiet! The V8 ROARED in every gen until now. Monster 6.2 is there so it’s fine and you can still hear it but it needs to be louuuder. It does have a nice throaty exhaust, quad pipes and looks great.

Why should the 6.2L roar? This is a large, family-friendly vehicle designed mostly for quiet cruising, hauling, towing, and family-vacations....not a Hemi-Challenger you are going to take to the drag strip.
Old 07-05-23, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Yeah, I don't want it to roar lol
Old 07-05-23, 04:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Why should the 6.2L roar? This is a large, family-friendly vehicle designed mostly for quiet cruising, hauling, towing, and family-vacations....not a Hemi-Challenger you are going to take to the drag strip.
Oh you should see how my local soccer moms drive them....they 100% act like they are!
Old 07-05-23, 04:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I was always shocked at how loud the engine was in previous gens. I was the only one who liked it usually lol.
Old 07-05-23, 05:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Because the V8s did in the previous gens. It's loud enough in the new one to know you have a massive V8 over an Ecoboost but it's not loud enough. About drag racing t's fast enough to take to the drag strip for fun, and would surprise the hell out of a few people. Like I said, the whole truck shakes like in a beast of a car when you fire it up. That was engineered in on purpose.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah, I don't want it to roar lol
You would want it to be as loud as it was in the ones you were used to, especially if you were a multi-year buyer. Like I said it was never unbecoming. I guess I understand making it quieter, bc this new Denali or almost new is basically a luxury car. The powertrain is refined and quiet like it is in a luxury car.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh you should see how my local soccer moms drive them....they 100% act like they are!
It's because they're so quick. I know you're used to Veyrons lmao and 150MPH 1/4 trap speed but I really truly think you'd be impressed at the rate and feel of the acceleration in this GMC even if to you it would be slow.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I was always shocked at how loud the engine was in previous gens. I was the only one who liked it usually lol.
They were only loud when the V8s were really pushed was the thing. This '22 it's just a bunch of quietness and you're at 80MPH 3 seconds later. Not complaining. Just observing.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-06-23 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-05-23, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

You would want it to be as loud as it was in the ones you were used to, especially if you were a multi-year buyer.
Personally, I wouldn't...I like a V8 rumble too but subtle.
Old 07-05-23, 06:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Personally, I wouldn't...I like a V8 rumble too but subtle.
You’d like this, then.

Imagine that Suburban but significantly faster.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...