Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Personally, I wouldn't...I like a V8 rumble too but subtle.
Your Mercedes S-Class has so much sound-insulation that I would be surprised if you could hear any significant rumble at all.
Old 07-05-23, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your Mercedes S-Class has so much sound-insulation that I would be surprised if you could hear any significant rumble at all.
It rumbles a little at idle, you hear it mostly outside. At high RPMs it sounds really great.
Old 07-05-23, 07:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I wouldn't call it a rumble in a V8 S-Class, more of a V8 purr (just as glorious) . But that's what an S-Class should be doing.
Old 07-05-23, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It reminds me a lot of the UZ engines
Old 07-05-23, 07:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It reminds me a lot of the UZ engines
I thought so too. Just faster. Very impressive.
Old 07-05-23, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The note and feel at high RPM is very similar
Old 07-05-23, 09:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
They were only loud when the V8s were really pushed was the thing. This '22 it's just a bunch of quietness and you're at 80MPH 3 seconds later. Not complaining. Just observing. I hope I'll get to drive this every now and then haha.
Things were getting a little uncouth for a luxury product by 3000rpm in my opinion, at least in the GMT900 models.
Old 07-11-23, 06:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Delivered today!!

Just a few notes so far.... They finally got the interiors right. Window switches are current Lexus level or better, shocked to see that. Feel top, top notch. Most everything does. However, nobody can do buttery ***** like Lexus and GM is no exception. The volume ****, temp *****, it's decent quality the detents but nothing like our LX for example. But the switches and controls overall are excellent.

-Leather is everywhere and it looks and feels and smells great, it's expensive feeling.....very much so.

-So many redundant buttons for almost EVERYTHING, I mean LOTS....also a 4k swipeable screen where you can do most of it.

-MASSIVE inside. Second row is amazing with captain's chairs, so much room and such comfy rear seats too.

-Fast as hell, nobody could say this thing doesn't have ammmmple muscle. Who the hell would pick the 5.3 that gets identical gas mileage and is much slower than this?

-Panoramic sunroof is as nice and feels and looks as high quality as the Cayenne I rode in recently

-The wood is gorgeous and all over. the place

-Not sure how I feel about the 10speed automatic, we'll see over time Performance isn't an issue (lol) and it does the job flawlessly and is refined, but I have no idea what gear it's in. 10 gears is just silly, and for gas mileage. 6 speed automatic would be fine with me.

-Engine is quiet like I said but louder than I initially thought bc the air conditioning was blaring when I drove it last. No worries there. Sounds great.

-Our 13 LX has a better steering wheel, but it's one of the best I've ever experienced for that matter.

-HUD is neat but I don't know if it's something I'd pay for if I ordered it new. Right below is the amazing digital gauge cluster with the speed at eye level almost anyway.

-Rides very well and is very quiet, even on massive 22"s.

I have to say looks wise this thing is absolutely ridiculous, stunning in person. The paint is great. The rims are just sick. Hardly any local Yukons have the reallllly fancy rims like this, the original owner paid $3k for them as an option. More later. We'll see when I drive it again lol. This has shyytonnnnns oof road presence and is massive, and like I said looks 95% as bossy as an Escalade for $45 grand less.

Massive photo dump coming soon.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-11-23 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations. I'm glad you're so pleased with it. My initial advice is take it easy on the engine and brakes for the first several hundred miles, and get an oil and filter change within the first couple of thousand miles, although formal break-ins are not as critical now as in the past, due to closer engine production-tolerances today.

If anything happens to the Buick Division (and, despite several or redesigned products debuting this next year, its future in the U.S. is unclear), I would likely end up in a GMC product myself. I like their styling, although most of them don't have as good a reliabilty record as Buicks, and GMC doesn't have anything as perfectly-sized for me as the Encore GX....the Terrain would be the closest.
Old 07-12-23, 10:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Looks great!
Old 07-12-23, 04:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I have sat in an LX600. Never driven one, but the V8 is gone. If Toyota didn’t kill V8s I might be saying different but I would buy this truck and save 40 grand and never think twice about it.

The last gen Yukon versus LX570, no, but they GM REALLY stepped it up with these newest ones. This thing is astoundingly nice.

My friend who HATES GM and is just a ridiculous hater and Euro Car snob even likes it, and was impressed at the pull onto the interstate how fast it got us up to 115, it shocked me too.

I think I may like the 10 speed transmission more after more driving, there’s just never not a situation where it instantly doesn’t get into the right gear and the meat of the powerband.

Look at all these glorious physical buttons, then there’s at least a 1080p screen that you swipe with like in nice cars. That’s another thing American cars get right, is redundancy. All the buttons are just glorious these days where you have to dig into menus with lots of vehicles, but you still can do everything with the screen if you want. It also has climate concierge like Lexus, gotta hand it to Lexus for bringing that to the market first.

All of the buttons, switches and stalks feel every bit as good as Lexus, but no, they can’t get the buttery ***** right. But they’re still good quality.

Right below the screen is soft touch material that would easily pass muster in a Lexus.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-12-23 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 09:18 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

I like the pattern of the wood trim. Looks great.
Old 07-13-23, 03:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Was VERY close to pulling trigger on one (Yukon) this week... excellent vehicle... however, as of Tues, went with Traverse Redline... I can live with 3.6L... checks EVERY box for me/family/travel...

IMO, I agree with the Traverse ---- its plenty big for 99% of families...unless you're all HUGE people or something.

Newer gen Yukon/Tahoes are just TOO BIG.... not to mention the serious fuel pump module issue that will render these big fat vehicles unable to start....and will have to be DRAGGED onto a flat bed tow truck because the thing will NOT go into neutral unless the engine is running, LOL!!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 07-13-23 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-13-23, 03:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

nice! and more importantly, seems you figured out how to attach photos right! great job.

can you grab a pic of a wider view of the interior?
Old 07-13-23, 05:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
IMO, I agree with the Traverse ---- its plenty big for 99% of families...unless you're all HUGE people or something.
Traverse is a great size, but it lacks the style and quality feel of the big SUVs.

Newer gen Yukon/Tahoes are just TOO BIG....
They are big but they don't feel terribly big on the road, even the Suburban I had was easy to drive. Now, parking it every day is another matter.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...