Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 07:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Newer gen Yukon/Tahoes are just TOO BIG.... not to mention the serious fuel pump module issue that will render these big fat vehicles unable to start....and will have to be DRAGGED onto a flat bed tow truck because the thing will NOT go into neutral unless the engine is running, LOL!!!!
Nah, there HAS to be a way to get it into neutral. But yes I agree I'd kill for the column shifter back.

And these are just MASSIVE (LX looks and feels small) but they do drive smaller than they are, as mentioned.

The start/stop I thought wasn't terrible until it lurched at a light when I had to hit the gas quickly, and this is with a huge V8. It was very unbecoming. I can't even IMAGINE having that mess with some 2.0t and turbo lag. Thank GOD the button is right there to disable it.
Old 07-13-23, 08:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Newer gen Yukon/Tahoes are just TOO BIG.... not to mention the serious fuel pump module issue that will render these big fat vehicles unable to start....and will have to be DRAGGED onto a flat bed tow truck because the thing will NOT go into neutral unless the engine is running, LOL!!!!
That was taken care of ages ago and only effected 2021s.
Old 07-13-23, 09:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That was taken care of ages ago and only effected 2021s.
Plenty of 22s have the issue too, I work with them (Tahoes) daily. We can't even back them in to parking spaces.... so they can be dragged out easier 😏😏😏
Old 07-13-23, 09:11 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Fair enough. We have two 2022 T1xx vehicles in my extended family and one 2023 and they've been good to go. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 07-13-23, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

And yes they can be put into neutral if the engines are off, its done underneath the vehicle.
Old 07-13-23, 10:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

What a joke. 50 years ago what would someone say if they were told they couldn't get future cars into neutral without going underneath? The HD Denali trucks have interiors that are sumptuous like this and still have the column shifters, GM really needs to bring it back as a no cost option or something, many more people want it than they think. Now that they do window switches and buttons like Lexus, I can't imagine how satisfying the column shifter is. I loved it in the old Yukon..
Old 07-13-23, 12:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And yes they can be put into neutral if the engines are off, its done underneath the vehicle.
Sure it can, but it requires a special tool.

$240 for DT-52910 Manual Park Release Tool....UNDERNEATH. Hopefully these tow guys start forking over the $240 for the tool!!!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 07-13-23 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-13-23, 12:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
What a joke. 50 years ago what would someone say if they were told they couldn't get future cars into neutral without going underneath? The HD Denali trucks have interiors that are sumptuous like this and still have the column shifters, GM really needs to bring it back as a no cost option or something, many more people want it than they think. Now that they do window switches and buttons like Lexus, I can't imagine how satisfying the column shifter is. I loved it in the old Yukon..
Funny, the old-school style of column shifter that GM used was frequently criticized in the Escalade and to a lesser extent the Yukon Denali.
Old 07-13-23, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$240 for DT-52910 Manual Park Release Tool....UNDERNEATH. Hopefully these tow guys start forking over the $240 for the tool!!!!!
Sounds like you should invest in this tool since you have trouble all the time. It’s extremely unusual anyone would need to put it in reverse with no power. Only reason would be a tow driver and they have the tools…

All cars nowadays have this issue.
Old 07-13-23, 01:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sounds like you should invest in this tool since you have trouble all the time. It’s extremely unusual anyone would need to put it in reverse with no power. Only reason would be a tow driver and they have the tools…
We bought a spare fuel pump module which is easier to swap, it's on the driver's side by the rear door underneath but do-able, the stupid tool they sell you have to slip all the way underneath to unlock.
Old 07-13-23, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Column-shifters were once in vogue with the old bench seats, but, with the conversion of the industry to individual (bucket) front-seats, they gradually went the way of the dinosaur, not only for seating reasons, but also because automakers started putting the wiper-controls on the right side of the steering-columns...where it was considered quicker and easier to use than the former ***** and slide-levers on the dash.

Some entry-level cars, though (among others, the 1970s Valiant/Dart from Plymouth and Dodge come to mind) bucked the trend and used floor-shifts with bench seats....so you had to be careful of how you adjusted the seat to get enough room to move the lever.

Old 07-13-23, 03:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Insanity. 🤓
Old 07-13-23, 03:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Funny, the old-school style of column shifter that GM used was frequently criticized in the Escalade and to a lesser extent the Yukon Denali.
By reviewers....not owners. Escalade owners wanted the column shifter in the last gen at least and were very very clear about it. Funny we are talking about this---my spouse's coworker actually just bought a new Escalade and he hates the shifter which is a electronic thing on the console or whatever. I have no idea who the guy is but I talked in with him on the Zoom call lol. He loves it but hates the shifter.

The column shifter looks FINE at least IMO. Absolutely ideal, and I bet it feels great to use. It did on my old GMT800 which had a trash interior, but they got the shifter right.

The take rate would be big on GM biggies if they offered it still, perhaps as a no cost option.

Old 07-13-23, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't think the decision of gearshift impacts sales of the vehicle at all.
Old 07-13-23, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One good compromise between the need to free up console-space and still having a nice, easy-to-use, fore/aft lever was seen on some minivans and small SUVs.....the lever protruding from the lower-dash. Here is one example......from a 2011 Honda Odyssey.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...