Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had 3 LSs with air suspension and one without, I can’t agree. The air suspension makes the car. It’s not about ride softness it’s about ride control. Once you get used to the air suspension it’s really hard to go back to a coil suspension. It’s not a difference that you immediately notice in a test drive, but you notice it over time when you go back to a coil sprung car.

If there is an available air suspension I will always choose it. The failure rates are also greatly exaggerated, most cars never have issues with air suspension.
Just out of curiosity, which one of the four LS models you had did not have the air-suspension? Was it the last LS460 you had?....I don't remember you talking much about an air suspension in that car.
Old 07-19-23, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

And those cars you are talking about are over 25 years old.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just out of curiosity, which one of the four LS models you had did not have the air-suspension? Was it the last LS460 you had?....I don't remember you talking much about an air suspension in that car.
My 2015 LS460 did not have air, my 400, 430 and 460L all had air. I always felt something was missing in the 15, it just didn’t quite feel how I remembered and when I got the 17 I realized it was the air suspension.

Bottom line is nothing lasts forever. Modern air suspension systems can go 150k miles without a problem, do you buy your new car for how it performs now or how it will be 10+ years from now? Sock $50 a month away for 10 years and you will have more than enough money to take care of an air suspension issue.
Old 07-20-23, 12:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Had a little time with the beast today. We all decided to name him Shadow just because the truck is so ridiculously black, black 22" rims, black paint, black leather, black wood, etc. Even the headliner is black (and looks so bad ***) My first suggestion was Stormy like Stormy Daniels haha. I actually dreamed up the name Shadow, I couldn't remember if it was something I dreamt or not.

-Auto wipers are okay but don't work as well as in LX. LX auto wipers are just about perfect.

-Disappointed that there is no active cruise control, at least I don't think it does. That should all be standard on a the Denali. Adaptive standard and Supercruise optional would be ideal.

-Sounds like a beast when you fire it up in the garage. That alone right there would steer me away from any ttV6. The quad exhaust (which is bad ***) has a nice subdued burble. Engine isn't as quiet as I thought it was when the A/c fan was blowing full blast.

-This thing has serious high quality. It's up there with the LX570. Will it last as long and never break? We'll see. The last Yukon lasted for 20 years with no services or maintenance, ever. It got donated and the money used for charity, but it still had PLENTY of life left in it. I almost wish the truck itself just went to someone needy.

-Has an AMAZING "Denali" graphic that comes on the IP screen and cluster screen, it draws a map to the actual Denali mountain and then fades into "Denali" letters. Tech is pretty cool, lol. I'll try to snap a shot of it and upload it sometime soon.

-I still don't care for the shifter but it works well and you get used to it. Very high quality buttons, as good as Lexus.

-It has a good traction control system so no need for Auto 4WD.

-I don't use the HUD when I drive it, don't really care for it. But I do like that the red flashes if it senses someone stopping quickly and you're going too fast regardless if you have the system turned on or off. It has emergency braking but I don't want to test it.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-20-23 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 07:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice.

TN must not get as hot as Vegas.....I could not do a murdered out black vehicle here. It was up to 119 on saturday according to my truck.

Old 07-20-23, 07:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Very nice.

TN must not get as hot as Vegas.....I could not do a murdered out black vehicle here. It was up to 119 on saturday according to my truck.
It doesn’t get hot like that temp wise but with the humidity it feels arguably worse than Vegas believe it or not, at least to me. It can get close to 100 here with 90% humidity and it’s just miserable. Doors and windows in your house get fogged up, moisture all over the outside, it’s disgusting.

The A/C is very strong, typical GM.

Visibility is outstanding, the mirror design almost eliminates the blind spot, I noticed that today. Pic may not do justice:

GM just absolutely knocked it out of the park with this gen. Like I said I would buy this over an LX600 and save 40 grand and not even think twice. Now if LX had a V8 it might be different.
Old 07-21-23, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s one thing that is a shame about 48V systems, there is no startup. The engine just comes on with so starter engagement or growl. I was beside an S580 the other day at the carwash and he started his up and it just came on, mine has a nice startup sound and little V8 grunt.
Old 07-21-23, 07:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's cool that they just turn on but I miss the starter growl at first. At least with the AMGs you can use "Emotion Start" to get your start up theater back even on the 48V equipped vehicles.
Old 08-03-23, 06:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Had a Yukon park next to me today.

My RX330 looks like a toy sitting next to it. Lol
Old 08-03-23, 06:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Had a Yukon park next to me today.

My RX330 looks like a toy sitting next to it. Lol
They're massive, but believe it or not they are cake to drive. Visibility is excellent, great power and brakes. They drive smaller than they are. GM really knows how to make a big BOF SUV, they always have. I'm still just shocked at how far they've come.

I'm sure in a few years it's possible some sort of hybrid assist or something I don't like will be added, so glad we got this taken care of when it's just pure 6.2L V8 muscle with only start/stop as the eco bull**** that is easily defeat-able each drive.

Old 08-06-23, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's cool that they just turn on but I miss the starter growl at first. At least with the AMGs you can use "Emotion Start" to get your start up theater back even on the 48V equipped vehicles.
i am sometimes a bit embarrassed starting my lc500 in a parking lot (even more if a multi-level one for the echo win). it is not subtle.
Old 08-06-23, 09:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i am sometimes a bit embarrassed starting my lc500 in a parking lot (even more if a multi-level one for the echo win). it is not subtle.
Don't be embarrassed one bit. OT but do LC500s have start/stop?

Denali start/stop is getting OVERWHELMINGLY awful feedback by those who drive it regularly, keep in mind this is a very smooth V8 (imagine in a 2.0t....eeek) so I'd say it's one of the least awful systems out there, but still terrible. First I got a call "Is this car out of oil?" because the pressure gauge goes to zero. Then next it was "why the **** is my car turning off and when I hit the gas there's a delay?" lol. I had to explain, like I said THANK YOU GM for just putting a button right there to disable it, no shuffling through screens.

It's just stupid. It's hot here, this ain't North Pole. So the truck will shut off for literally 10 seconds and then restart to keep the A/C going when you're stopped, it's just silly.

To it's credit you feel nothing when the engine shuts off, nothing at all. IDK how common that is.
Old 08-06-23, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, no engine start stop in the LC.
Old 08-06-23, 03:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, no engine start stop in the LC.
Good news keeps coming! I worked out a garage situation to where I'll have LS430 garaged close by once we buy an LC, and LC and SL will be in our garage. No need to build onto the house at this time at least. LX can sit outside, it's fine and made for the rough.
Old 08-06-23, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Good news keeps coming! I worked out a garage situation to where I'll have LS430 garaged close by once we buy an LC, and LC and SL will be in our garage. No need to build onto the house at this time at least. LX can sit outside, it's fine and made for the rough.
sounds like a great plan.
Old 09-27-23, 08:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

In the last week, I've seen 2 AWESOME looking trucks - one was a Tahoe, the other was a Yukon. Both of them were white, and both of them were "two tone" in the sense that from the windows up it was a black glossy finish. I absolutely love the look. This one (Yukon) was lifted several inches and had some monster tires on it, much bigger than it looks in the pic. If I go Tahoe, I'm gonna have to figure out how to accomplish this glossy black look up top. I love the gray color Tahoe and they have another color that looks like a greyish green - both would look sick with this accent up top.

Anyone else seen this? I did some research and looks like it's custom.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...