Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 12:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...

Photo dump will follow this, I'll try not to ramble too much. Also let me say that I am slightly biased toward GM trucks because I had one.. Though I won't let it affect this review except I'm going to gush about the V8.

Sitting in it at first I was shocked at the comfort and quietness and idle. Digital gauges look good (I didn't care for the analogs in the older ones), camera images are 1080p and there's nine cameras. Verrrrry nice interior, great seats and leather. The wood looks great. The trim is all very nice. Switches all feel good, climate and radio, all of them including buttons off to the side, steering wheel, etc. But GM is gonna be GM and the lower door panels are cheap, and the door sills are absolutely nothing like my ollllllld LX build quality wise, not even illuminated. However there are power running boards which are quite nice.

Driving it through the dealer lot to the gas pump I was very impressed with the refinement and just overall feel. My guy let me loose with it with a half of a tank of gas which I burned through lmaoooo. I thoroughly checked it out and drove it. I floored it out of the lot and was shocked how fast it is. My GOD, I can promise anybody that at least with this truck, there is NO TURBO needed. I can't believe how fast it flies off the line. I also can't believe that the engine is muffled, it sounds great but my LX engine is noticeably louder which I like. This V8 does NOT have cylinder deactivation crap. It DOES have start/stop, but THANK YOU GOD it's a dedicated physical button off to the side that is easy. No digging through menus to turn that crap off. Apple CarPlay but I have no idea how to use it. AWESOME panoramic sunroof. Like I said it has some cheap bits but most of it is very, very high quality stuff.

On the highway it rides really well, and drives really well too just in general. It rides roughly the same as my LX does, but it doesn't take bumps at slower speeds better most likely because of the 22s. That said this is a quite lovely SUV to drive, drives smaller than it is. Fast as anyone could possibly need. The engine is stronger than my LX and even though it's for gas mileage, the 10 speed auto was flawless. Flooring it from a dig will make you wonder why anyone needs turbos, NA is jusssssttttt fine as far as that truck is concerned. It is also a proper 4x4 with a locking rear diff believe it or not. I hattttte the push button selector, however that said the buttons and the chrome surround are very high quality, like verrry nice. So that helps.. If only it had a column shifter ugh.

Photo dump to come. Bottom line, if you like GM trucks you'd go crazy over this.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-13-23 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 12:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Check out that GMC Easter egg in the gauge cluster corner.
Old 06-28-23, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Only flaw is no full time 4WD

great review!
Old 06-28-23, 01:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

great review!
Thanks, I'll keep it going with updates. This might be better served to be left in auto 4WD because it's so powerful the traction will break. Not the same thing as FT4WD but the 4WD kicks in instantly in AUTO, so not that big of a deal. But as you know I'm beyond the moon with my LX but this Yukon has literally DOUBLE the space if not more with the 3rd row folded down, it's massive. It's humongous inside. WAYYYYYYYYY more space than a 200 that's for sure. When you look at it with 3rd row down you think it's an XL.

I also meant to note that it is obvious GM engineered these to shake side to side (I mean that in the best possible way) when they start from the huge V8. It's stuff like that that make me overlook some of the negatives like a cheap bit here or there, there is a MASSIVE GM strength (literally and figuratively) V8 engine under the hood. It shakes like it's a beast when you start it, my Mercedes is the same way.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-02-23 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

They are super nice. I loved the Suburban rental I had. Surprisingly nice inside too, and that Denali dash is even better.
Old 06-28-23, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Far superior to the Toyota Sequoia
Old 06-28-23, 01:58 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

great review!
Only flaw is I can't afford it! Lol

Awesome review AJ, enjoyed it.
Old 06-28-23, 02:27 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

Can you share the mileage and what they paid?
Old 06-28-23, 03:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are super nice. I loved the Suburban rental I had. Surprisingly nice inside too, and that Denali dash is even better.
This Yukon is up to my chest area just like you said, lol.

What engine did that Suburban have? The 5.3 is fine, gets job done but really really underpowered considered what else is out there. I did have in it ABSOLUTELY having to be a Denali, absolute dealbreaker just for that 6.2 alone. They're going out with a bang, one of the best V8s out there. I can't describe how fast that thing gets out of the hole, it's ridiculous. My LX is quick, satisfyingly quick, but lord, this Yukon would leave it in the dust fast.

Ohhh I might add, it REALLY does require premium. It knocked briefly on the 87 my salesman gave me, not bad but yep. Can't wait to see real world economy this vs my LX570. It will get better mpg but I can always use regular in my 570 so it may be cheaper to fuel MY truck than that. We'll see.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-02-23 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 03:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

So glad they kept the V8 for this truck. None of that downsized turbo 4 or 6 garbage. This puts the Sequoia to absolute shame it's not even funny. Great review and as I said, it's so refreshing to hear that these big trucks still have a proper V8 available.
Old 06-28-23, 03:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
So glad they kept the V8 for this truck. None of that downsized turbo 4 or 6 garbage. This puts the Sequoia to absolute shame it's not even funny. Great review and as I said, it's so refreshing to hear that these big trucks still have a proper V8 available.
It won't let you rev it past 4k or so in park, unfortunately. Hahaha.

I'm not here to trash talk Ecoboost or Turbos vs V8s we all know my position and reasoning. I'm sure people LOVVVE their Ecoboosts, and good. But I can tell you, the way this thing gets out of the hole is just ridiculous. Displacement and torque work jusssst fine here. Can't beat the sound. It's under stressed to the bone.

HILARIOUS that all the magazines push for the DIESEL!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! I'm sure it's torquey and just kisses heaven with its green wonderfulness but I like 5.8 seconds to 60 versus 8.9, personally if it were my Denali.
Old 06-28-23, 03:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Sequoia wasn’t even considered with that mess of a powertrain nor would I allow it. And check out the room of this (compare to Sequoia), that’s only the third row down keep in mind! HUGGGGE!

No speakers piping in sound, no downsizing, no bull****. No fancy tricks except a button to push to disable start stop. Proven V8 stoutness. It’s a Corvette engine minus a little ignition tinkering.
Old 06-28-23, 05:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful truck!
It has very clean exterior styling that will age very well and interior is huge improvement over last few generations.

The Suburban and new Defender are the most common SUVs at my kids school i think.
Old 06-28-23, 05:26 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

I do love these things and I was extremely pleased with a 2023 Suburban rental I had in March. I observed a lot of the same things you've pointed out here about your driving impressions. I love the 2nd row captains chairs and the insane amount of usable space in the rear cargo area compared to my LX. I've been thinking more and more about pulling the trigger but the price tag always hinders that decision.
Old 06-28-23, 05:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I do love these things and I was extremely pleased with a 2023 Suburban rental I had in March. I observed a lot of the same things you've pointed out here about your driving impressions. I love the 2nd row captains chairs and the insane amount of usable space in the rear cargo area compared to my LX. I've been thinking more and more about pulling the trigger but the price tag always hinders that decision.
LX is PERFECT for a married couple with no kids, like us. Plenty of room. Add kids it gets a little cramped. There is at least double the room behind the second row, maybe more like I said in this new Yukon. When we take family vacations with all 3 dogs and all our bs luggage it will be great, it’s huge.

I wouldn’t get rid of LX. LX is a very special vehicle, any 200 is. I wouldn’t take this Yukon to Moab like we are going with our LX as soon as gas drops.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-13-23 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 GMC Yukon Denali review...