Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM 30-Month Owner’s Update….2021 Buick Encore GX.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...well-stated.
You realize he disagrees with you right...
Old 07-06-23, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK...back to thread-topic.

Originally Posted by SW17LS​
I think you also need to accept you have very unusual taste in vehicle colors, which is why manufacturers always drop colors you like...because they don't sell.
Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of black, appliance-white, or many of the more dull-looking gray/silver colors.....there are some exceptions to the gray/silvers like the Lexus Atomic Silver and GM Pepperdust, which are both excellent. But, oddly, I think the new 2024 Encore GX (not so much the old one) does look good in black...with a white pinstripe on the side. It would look even better with the off-white/Ivory interior option. See if you agree.

Here is a You Tube video of a 2024 base-trim version with black paint and and the white pinstripe....but without the white interior. It is not a particularly good review, but I was struck by how good the package looks in black...and with the amber turn-signals in back. It is the base-trim model, with silver-finished wheels.

(the 360-camera I like, BTW, is available in the base-trim version with an optional tech-package)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-23 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-06-23, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You realize he disagrees with you right...

No, he does not totally disagree. And what he said about option-packages/trims and larger wheels is mostly correct. I'm willing to compromise some if the argument makes sense. The only time I stick to my guns is if and when I actually experience something for myself, and know from experience that it its correct. And, with colors, I know that much of that is subjective. I am (usually, but not always) adamant about low-profiles, because I know from experience and test-drives that they (usually, but not always) stiffen up the ride. But there are some exceptions. And some arguments that people have about my comments (and your comments) have made sense....I give them credit when they do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-23 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-07-23, 04:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, he does not totally disagree. And what he said about option-packages/trims and larger wheels is mostly correct. I'm willing to compromise some if the argument makes sense. The only time I stick to my guns is if and when I actually experience something for myself, and know from experience that it its correct. And, with colors, I know that much of that is subjective. I am (usually, but not always) adamant about low-profiles, because I know from experience and test-drives that they (usually, but not always) stiffen up the ride. But there are some exceptions. And some arguments that people have about my comments (and your comments) have made sense....I give them credit when they do.
Wrong. I totally disagree with your premise that larger wheels are inherently bad. You are free to not like them; that is a personal preference. But your personal taste doesn't make that option bad. The only thing you are "correct" about is that YOU don't like larger wheels. Period - full stop.

I would never fault you for not liking the harsher ride of larger wheels. But your opinion is just that - yours. It is not gospel.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-07-23 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-07-23, 05:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wrong. I totally disagree with your premise that larger wheels are inherently bad. You are free to not like them; that is a personal preference. Your personal taste doesn't make that option bad. The only thing you are "correct" about is that YOU don't like larger wheels. Period - full stop.
That wasn't only what I was refering to. I was talking about the wheels plus the other features you mentioned.
Old 07-07-23, 05:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

That wasn't only what I was refering to. I was talking about the wheels plus the other features you mentioned.
But that's not what Mike was referring to.
Old 07-07-23, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer a nice ride, but I also like larger wheels from a looks standpoint. I would much rather have the 20s on my S560 but they make the ride too hard so I compromised with the 19s. But any car I will buy the largest wheels I like the ride of the car on. Pacifica is on 20s and they make the van look dramatically better and it rides largely the same.

They don’t ride that differently either, it’s a subtle difference.
Old 07-07-23, 05:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I prefer a nice ride, but I also like larger wheels from a looks standpoint. I would much rather have the 20s on my S560 but they make the ride too hard so I compromised with the 19s. But any car I will buy the largest wheels I like the ride of the car on. Pacifica is on 20s and they make the van look dramatically better and it rides largely the same.

They don’t ride that differently either, it’s a subtle difference.
Most manufacturers these days clearly design their cars around the look of the largest wheels. Lots of cars just look awkward with the smaller wheel options because the design team has used the larger size in its designs.
Old 07-07-23, 06:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not trashing the whole Cadillac division. But, despite your admittedly good experience with an XT4, their average reliability ratings across the board have, for years, been lower than Buick's. To state otherwise would be to deny reality.
Yes, Buick has been rated highly but Cadillac is also above average in any ranking. The XT4 is rated the best premium compact SUV on the market according to JDPower.

Enjoy your baby Buick, some would say it shouldn't even be called a Buick.
Old 07-07-23, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Most manufacturers these days clearly design their cars around the look of the largest wheels. Lots of cars just look awkward with the smaller wheel options because the design team has used the larger size in its designs.
Totally, and the smaller wheels really look weird...
Old 07-07-23, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Yes, Buick has been rated highly but Cadillac is also above average in any ranking. The XT4 is rated the best premium compact SUV on the market according to JDPower.

Consumer Reports rates the Encore GX higher overall than the XT4......the GX gets an overall score 65 out of 100, and the XT4, 58.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...2023/overview/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...2023/overview/

Despite its few faults, you better believe I enjoy it....every day. It is a pleasure to drive.

It's also (now) the best-selling American-market Buick.....although 80% of Buick's worldwide sales are in China, where the brand is a status-symbol. They don't look upon Buicks like a lot of Americans do....as a stodgy brand for old people.
Old 07-07-23, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it is ignorant to call people uneducated for their liking of larger wheels.

Buick Encore and Chevy TrailBlazer are the same.
Totally, and the smaller wheels really look weird...
New cars would look really weird with smaller tires.

I was actually enjoying your report until you decided to trash the whole Cadillac Division. I think you are living in the past. When was the last time you owned a Cadillac? There may be some models that don't meet your expectations but that is true of Buicks also. I leased a Cadillac XT4 for 3 1/2 years and it was delightful with NO issues at all. I don't think it was necessary to bring your biased opinions into your Buick report.
I like the Cadillac XT4. A nice size and nice interior. I think the XT4 was a better package compared to the NX at the time. Looked better that's for sure.
Old 07-07-23, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think it is ignorant to call people uneducated for their liking of larger wheels.
Personally liking or disliking wheels is not necessarily a matter of education, but where the issue of uneducation comes in is when people think that the kind of sidewall a tire has doesn't make much difference in ride and handling. Although there are a few exceptions, in most cases, it does....significantly.

Buick Encore and Chevy TrailBlazer are the same.
Actually, the Encore GX......the Encore is gone from the American market.

They share the same basic platform and drivetrain (the platform is respected by a number of reviewers), but otherwise have a lot of differences. The Chevy is more utilitarian, has a longer wheelbase, a greater choice of colors/trim-packages, and, IMO, a slightly better instrument panel. The Buick is more refined, has better sound insulation, a softer suspension, a better-trimmed interior, and, IMO, is more pleasant to drive.

New cars would look really weird with smaller tires.
Depends on one's definition of weird. It is often an optical effect on the eyes and brain, caused by the comparison of the tire-size and the wheel-size with the size of the wheel-cutouts themselves in the body. Huge wheels and rubber-band tires themselves can look weird to some people (I'm one of them). So sam small wheels and small tires to some people. So can small wheels and overly large tires. Al depends on one's reaction to it, which can be subjective.

Also, keep in mind that when you have large wheels/tires and little space in the fender cutouts (a look which a lot of people here seem to like) it can be difficult, either with a hose or at a car wash, to clean inside the cutouts where mud, dirt, ice/snow in the winter, and other debris accumulates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-23 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-07-23, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The overall size of wheels and tires doesn’t change when you get smaller wheels on the same vehicle. You just have smaller diameter wheels and thicker tires, so there is no additional room in the wheel wells.

The bottom line is, there’s just really not much difference, yes they can sharpen the ride some, but it’s not dramatic and they also sharpen handling. You say people are uneducated because they don’t understand that the wheels hurt the ride, I think what you fail to understand is people just don’t care. They like the way the car they chose rides and they really don’t care if the same car on slightly smaller wheels would ride slightly softer.

You give this way more thought than most buyers do. And before you say they should give it thought because I know you will, they are happy with their car so why should they?

I drive one of the best riding cars money can buy, and you say some cars ride poorly on 45 series tires and having driven the same cars I just absolutely do not understand where you are coming from. I have 45 series tires…anybody who would say my car rides poorly would be insane.
Old 07-07-23, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You give this way more thought than most buyers do. And before you say they should give it thought because I know you will, they are happy with their car so why should they?

I drive one of the best riding cars money can buy, and you say some cars ride poorly on 45 series tires and having driven the same cars I just absolutely do not understand where you are coming from. I have 45 series tires…anybody who would say my car rides poorly would be insane.

The long wheelbase and advanced suspension-design of the S-class helps counter some of the stiffness of the 45s. What works on full-size sedans doesn't necessarily do so on compacts.

You're putting the cart before the horse....I don't necessarily think that. If someone is happy with their purchase or lease, then fine......no problem with that. But I've seen cases of where people made buying decisions they should have (and could have) more carefully considered, and then had clear Buyers' Remorse.

One of those cases was a neighbor who bought a new Altima SE (with the sport-oriented tires and firmer suspension). He told me that after he had it a few days, it seemed to ride stiffer than he wanted, and he wasn't totally satisfied with it. (I had not shopped with him). I asked him why he bought the SE version instead of one with more-compliaint tires and suspension, when he could have saved both money and ride-comfort by getting a base version instead. He said well, he didn't really know...the dealer offered him what he thought was a good deal on the SE, and he took it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-23 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: MM 30-Month Owner’s Update….2021 Buick Encore GX.