Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM 30-Month Owner’s Update….2021 Buick Encore GX.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

They’re taking good care of you, that’s why they covered it…which is great.
Old 06-06-24, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The fuel-purge pump for the gas tank that failed was replaced today, under warranty....the part finally came in after some two weeks. (the old one shorted out). Now, at least, I don't have to keep looking at that constant yellow check-engine light on the dash any more LOL...I was afraid that the bulb was going to burn out from being constantly on.

I was surprised at there being no charge. Buick now only has a basic 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (it used to the 4/50), and my vehicle is now 41 months old...almost three and a half years. The pump is technically an emission-device, but the only emission devices covered for 8 years, under Federal law, are the catalytic converter, its components, and the engine computer itself. Yet, the Service Advisor (a guy I have liked for years) said it was fully covered under the Bumper-to-Bumper Basic warranty, even though that warranty expired. Well, I wasn't going to argue with him LOL...no-charge is fine with me. Frankly, I think they are just giving me a break since I've been a good customer and bought three new Buicks there....or GM may (?) have a hidden warranty-extension on that specific part. Some automakers do that on parts that have shown a consistent pattern of early failure....like Subaru did in the past with head gaskets and wheel bearings.

While I was waiting, I took out a new 2024 Encore GX with basic 1.2L engine, FWD, and the CVT for a test-drive, but the main thing I wanted to sample was the new dash-screen system. In a pinch, I can live with the new dash-screen, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as on the 2020-2023 models, for a number of detailed and technical reasons which I don't have time to describe here in great detail. There is less flexibility with the new system in terms of all the info you can show at once without scrolling or icon-pushing, and it is much more complex to operate. There have been major advances in the drivetrain refinement over the last version, although the CVT is a little jumpy at low speeds starting out...I'd go with the 1.3L/9-speed/AWD, like I have now. But the start-up is now much smoother, without the noticeable bump you got with the old system...I suspect the motor-mounts have been redone on the latest version for less vibration from those three-banger engines.

Even though I don't like the new dash screen, this is still arguably the best vehicle on the market for my own specific driving needs and preferences. Buick really hit a home run with this design. I can't think of anything I'd rather hop around daily in, particularly in this price-range.

Old 06-06-24, 08:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
CR nails it again....
Old 06-06-24, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
CR nails it again....

One thing is interesting. I would have expected the small and rather highly-stressed turbo threes to have had some durability problems, but, according to that chart, both the 1.2L and 1.3L seem to be holding up pretty well. What flaws we see in the reliability are in other areas not directly related to the drivetrain....even in the more complex AWD versions.