Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I like wagons too, they just aren't practical enough for my needs. American needs and european needs are different.
Can't you just imagine a big Mercedes S-Class wagon with woodie-sides like what we had here in the U.S. decades ago?

Old 06-29-23, 11:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't you just imagine a big Mercedes S-Class wagon with woodie-sides like what we had here in the U.S. decades ago?
<barf>
Old 06-29-23, 11:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Ok ya'll don't laugh but this was ALMOST my first car, except in faded red. Lol

A gift from my grand parents for my 16th birthday but my dad said no.

I was mad at first because that meant riding the bus a few more months but daaaaaang it was ugly and in beater condition too.

PS- my first car wasn't so big but still an ugly beater, story for another day. Lol 😂
Old 06-29-23, 11:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a big wagon fan. It'll be tough to decide whether I should get a used W213 E63 wagon when I start my family or go for an SUV.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Club Lexus friends!

Inspired by post in General Car Chat, I thought it would be cool to make a thread about wagons since I just learned they still do exist.

Almost never see them anymore and when I do, they're very old.
No love for Wagons anymore?
It's all about the SUV now?
Which is better?

<Spoiler alert> I like wagons. lol

Here's the new Mercedes E-Class wagon and probably deserving of it's own thread but yes, they still make them.

Full specs, source
That's actually a pre-facelift (so 2017-2020) W213 E-class in that picture. The brand new W214 E-class wagon that will be coming to our shores within the next year looks like this:

Old 06-29-23, 12:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru is probably the most successful marketer of wagons still in the American market. More-so than most crossovers, the Forester and Outback are basically AWD wagons on a raised-suspension. They also have what is arguably the best car-based AWD system on the market.

That's just because Subaru has tricked all their customers by raising the suspension so they don't think of these cars as wagons. That's why there's no Legacy wagon version anymore.
Old 06-29-23, 12:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

There's a reason why MB never did that.....
Old 06-29-23, 12:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok ya'll don't laugh but this was ALMOST my first car, except in faded red. Lol

A gift from my grand parents for my 16th birthday but my dad said no.

I was mad at first because that meant riding the bus a few more months but daaaaaang it was ugly and in beater condition too.

PS- my first car wasn't so big but still an ugly beater, story for another day. Lol 😂
hahaha - mine was a 78 Malibu Classic Estate Wagon with the fake wood, wire wheel covers and white walls. Definitely better than taking the big yellow limo.... but I do not miss that.
Old 06-29-23, 12:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I would pick a wagon over SUV anytime, unless I move to a place with deep snow accumulations on the roads, which I won’t ….
Old 06-29-23, 01:17 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

the wagon is popular in europe but i feel that's largely out of necessity... unfortunately though over here the wagon just isn't sexy, especially considering we generally think of something like this when we hear wagon:

i've even heard it said that the wagon is "too liberal" lol

wagon styling is generally ungainly, the only cars i think that look "right" as wagons are the subaru outback and some of the volvos

michael schumacher once owned an E55 AMG wagon and if that's not an endorsement idk what is haha
Old 06-29-23, 01:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the Panamera wagons, look better than the sedans
Old 06-29-23, 01:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
hahaha - mine was a 78 Malibu Classic Estate Wagon with the fake wood, wire wheel covers and white walls. Definitely better than taking the big yellow limo.... but I do not miss that.
Hey, ya know what?
I would've been happy to drive anything vs riding that bus.

Riding the bus= not cool
Have any kind of car = cool, because now all your friends want a ride too! haha

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the wagon is popular in europe but i feel that's largely out of necessity... unfortunately though over here the wagon just isn't sexy, especially considering we generally think of something like this when we hear wagon:

Yowsers!
Good golly that's hard to look at.

Guessing nobody is missing that one but somebody loved it. lol

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I would pick a wagon over SUV anytime, unless I move to a place with deep snow accumulations on the roads, which I won’t ….
So deep snow is not cool with you...
Yeah, I don't do snow and cold either, thus the reason I really don't need AWD or an SUV for that matter.

I do like the room on my RX330 on trips tho but it's really just a jacked up wagon with the back chopped off on a slant. lol
Wish they extended the rear and squared it up tho like a proper wagon so I can get more stuff in it for holiday travel.
Old 06-29-23, 01:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Most SUVs aren't so much lifted wagons as they are lifted hatchbacks. Case in point, the midsize Audi SQ5 makes a pretty badass hot hatch if you slam it:

Old 06-29-23, 02:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Most SUVs aren't so much lifted wagons as they are lifted hatchbacks. Case in point, the midsize Audi SQ5 makes a pretty badass hot hatch if you slam it:
I've seen a few lowered SQ5s around here and I like the look when its done tastefully. I always thought the GLC63, as low as it is stock, really looked like a tall wagon.

But then I look at the actual C63 wagon and see the real difference:
Old 06-29-23, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

That would be hard to imagine lol

My issue with wagons for me is that we need the volume of a large vehicle. For stuff and being able to move around the cabin . If you're just comparing say something like a GLE or X5 to a wagon, then yeah the cargo space is about the same, theres no access to the back from the middle, the GLE or X5 has more height, but other than that....but when you compare it to what we would buy, a 3 row with captains chairs where accessing the back is very easy its a different story.

The height is also easier for loading kids and pets...
Old 06-29-23, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That would be hard to imagine lol

My issue with wagons for me is that we need the volume of a large vehicle. For stuff and being able to move around the cabin . If you're just comparing say something like a GLE or X5 to a wagon, then yeah the cargo space is about the same, theres no access to the back from the middle, the GLE or X5 has more height, but other than that....but when you compare it to what we would buy, a 3 row with captains chairs where accessing the back is very easy its a different story.

The height is also easier for loading kids and pets...

Well, your wife, and her love of the Pacifica, is probably a typical example of why we don't see much in the way of traditional wagons in the U.S. any more. The demise of American wagons probably started in 1984 with the introduction of the first FWD Chrysler minivans (Voyager and Caravan), accelerated with the introduction of the top-selling truck-based Ford Explorer/Chevy Trailblazer and Jeep Grand Cherokee in the early 1990s, and continues today with medium-to-large car-based crossovers like the Chevrolet Traverse/Enclave, Dodge Durango, Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade, etc....

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-23 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?