Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I like that.
Yeah, I test-drove one and did a write-up. Nice car, but did not ring a bell with many Americans who were so attached to the Outbacks, which, years before, had already become an American institution. I confess I once owned an Outback myself, from 2006-2012.

Ok, I'll probably get shot for this but I didn't think these refreshed ones didn't look so bad.
The mid-cycle update modified the front ends a little and made them look a little less extreme with the "Dust-Buster" front-wedge.

No one here on Car Chat is going to shoot you.....we all are entitled to our automotive opinions, particularly with styling, which is subjective.
Old 06-30-23, 09:00 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats actually the old E Class wagon, that generation was refreshed a few years ago and here is the new one coming out:

I like wagons too, they just aren't practical enough for my needs. American needs and european needs are different.
How do they differ?
Old 06-30-23, 11:27 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
How do they differ?
I'll take a stab at this as a naturalized American who spent roughly half my life in Europe and half in the US.

Europeans tend to want something as big as they need, Americans tend to want something bigger than they need. The added practicality of the wagon fits the "big as I need" goal, the added scope and scale of the big SUV or truck fits the big as I want goal. Not to say one is necessarily better or worse than the other, but most times I see a truck (including mine) it's a solo driver with no passengers, so it's often more than I might need but absolutely what I might want.

Perspective is everything. And as the old saying goes, Europeans think 100 miles is a long way whereas Americans think 100 years is a long time. Our roads do tend to be bigger and easier to navigate, I would not want to drive a big SUV or truck in a European town or village with narrow roads and on street parking taking up what little space there is in towns with a road plan that hasn't changed in hundreds of years.
Old 06-30-23, 11:56 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I love wagon but understand the American market does not, which means there a very few options and those aren’t practical for me right now. I am not a fan of SUVs or CUVs. Not my think. Hatchback is a compromise, but it works.
Old 06-30-23, 12:21 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an avid wagon enthusiast, this is my 2013 Audi Allroad... Drive it everywhere, roadtripping, canyon runs, track days, light-offroading, and plenty of space to haul as well, and looks good IMO. Wagons are so much better than crossovers imo, I much prefer lower ride height and horizontal storage space, instead of crossover's vertical space.

It is a used car so I know I'm not contributing to the sales of new wagons. However, I'm ready once Audi brings the B10 generation to the US.

The next generation, Audi is bringing the entire A5 Avant, S5 Avant, and RS 5 Avant lineup, due to the RS 6 Avant's and A4/A6 Allroad's successes in the US. (For those confused on A5, ICE Audis are going to be renamed to Odd numbers only in all markets besides China)

Wagons are making somewhat of a comeback in the US, but only in the high-end performance sector.

From Road & Track's recent article on the RS 7:
> Like you, I’ll always choose the wagon first. The rest of America agrees. While it declined to share exact figures, Audi USA told Road & Track the RS6 has outsold the RS7 in the three years since both body styles became available.
​​​​​​​So besides having the entire A5 Avant lineup in the next generation, BMW will also be bringing the new M5 Touring to the US as well (unfortunately not the M3 Touring)
Old 06-30-23, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^Where was that shot taken? I'd assume high in the California Sierras.
Old 06-30-23, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
How do they differ?
You don't tend to take big long road trips with your whole family and all of your stuff, you don't have a ton of big wide roads etc.

Originally Posted by swajames
I'll take a stab at this as a naturalized American who spent roughly half my life in Europe and half in the US.

Europeans tend to want something as big as they need, Americans tend to want something bigger than they need. The added practicality of the wagon fits the "big as I need" goal, the added scope and scale of the big SUV or truck fits the big as I want goal. Not to say one is necessarily better or worse than the other, but most times I see a truck (including mine) it's a solo driver with no passengers, so it's often more than I might need but absolutely what I might want.

Perspective is everything. And as the old saying goes, Europeans think 100 miles is a long way whereas Americans think 100 years is a long time. Our roads do tend to be bigger and easier to navigate, I would not want to drive a big SUV or truck in a European town or village with narrow roads and on street parking taking up what little space there is in towns with a road plan that hasn't changed in hundreds of years.
I think thats pretty accurate
Old 06-30-23, 02:08 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Look at how boxy that thing is. Can see for days out of it too and can stuff a bunch of things in the back. To me it's nicer than any crossover on the road.
it's the vehicle that discovered the source of the nile!

agreed i'd much rather have this over some bland CVT crossover
Old 06-30-23, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it's the vehicle that discovered the source of the nile!

agreed i'd much rather have this over some bland CVT crossover
Until you need to haul something in it...
Old 06-30-23, 03:41 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^Where was that shot taken? I'd assume high in the California Sierras.
Mount Evans, Colorado, such an amazing place. I live in Los Angeles, I just got back from a ~3000 mile roadtrip exploring Colorado!

Wagon fits my needs better than, say, an Audi Q5, which prioritizes vertical cargo space as opposed to horizontal of the Allroad, and of course rides higher
Old 06-30-23, 04:15 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m loving my wagon. Pics from the delivery day. Car has multiple personalities, in Pure mode all electric rear wheel drive but in Polestar mode car is a beast.

The road goes on forever
Old 06-30-23, 04:21 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Beautiful wagon! The current-generation V60 and V90s are gorgeous! Love it and looks great with the R-Line/Polestar package and wheels.
Old 06-30-23, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gor134

I'm an avid wagon enthusiast, this is my 2013 Audi Allroad...
I'll take your word for it that it's an All-Road, but the low-stance actually makes it look more like a regular Avant wagon with Quattro AWD. Most of the All-Roads I remember sit a little higher than that, on a raised-suspension, somewhat like the Subaru Outback, Honda Crosstour, and Volvo XC-70 Cross-Country.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-23 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 04:40 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Yeah, I lowered it on springs currently, will get coilovers later down the line. Allroad's wide flares is just ASKING to be lowered, and the B8.5 have a slightly more reliable motor than the B8 A4 Avants, so it was an easy pick for me. Paint matched wide flares and lowered ride height with larger wheels truly make it look like near-RS wagon imo....
Old 06-30-23, 04:54 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gor134
Beautiful wagon! The current-generation V60 and V90s are gorgeous! Love it and looks great with the R-Line/Polestar package and wheels.
thanks, it’s really a fun car in many ways and it has just enough hauling room for my needs. Enjoy having some pure electric option without the range anxiety. With 455 hp and the Ohlin adjustable suspension it’s not your dads station wagon, that’s for sure.

Quick Reply: Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?