Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 03:40 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Prices have gone up incredibly for the V Wagons. Gotta be quick with it if you are intending on owning one, otherwise they may just as well reach the RS 6's 140k mark in a few years (at least for manual equipped low mileage examples).
Sad, but very true.
Old 07-19-23, 07:46 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

The worst thing there are no wagons with decent fuel economy and reasonable price. Bring back Camry and Accord wagons and maybe people would start buying them?

We used to have at least one wagon in the family for about 20 years now (mostly Saabs) - but had to switch to Rav4 hybrid eventually as no wagons come even close to matching its fuel economy. Build ES300h in a wagon form and I will buy it new.

The best thing in wagons (vs SUVs) is loading stuff on the roof (kayaks, cargo boxes) in so much easier. To load stuff on SUV I usually need ladder.
Old 07-19-23, 08:29 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My last wagon

Old 07-20-23, 03:58 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
owned (and was made fun of) an accord wagon in my early car days, and i miss it so much...i am always looking for an older e-class w211 but they are getting more and more rare every year!

That Accord wagon is sick.
Old 07-20-23, 05:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
My last wagon

That's nice. Is it a '56?
Old 07-20-23, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
The worst thing there are no wagons with decent fuel economy and reasonable price. Bring back Camry and Accord wagons and maybe people would start buying them?
People aren’t going to buy them. They have tons of experience that they won’t.
The best thing in wagons (vs SUVs) is loading stuff on the roof (kayaks, cargo boxes) in so much easier. To load stuff on SUV I usually need ladder.
Problem is that you need to haul stuff on the top way more than an SUV or minivan with more interior volume
Old 07-20-23, 07:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Bring back Camry and Accord wagons and maybe people would start buying them?
Toyota and Honda have substantial market research departments. If this would happen, they would bring them back.
Old 07-20-23, 10:00 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People aren’t going to buy them. They have tons of experience that they won’t.

Problem is that you need to haul stuff on the top way more than an SUV or minivan with more interior volume
I agree with the first point, it will take a long time. The resurgence of the entry-luxe wagon will determine if it trickles down to lower segments in the next 20 years I'd say, especially if Lexus is planning a BEV entry as well.

Regarding the other point.. disagree with that. I find the horizontal volume offered in wagons to be a lot more usable and functional, than the "shorter but more vertical" volume in SUVs (ie, my Audi Allroad vs a Q5) For multiple inter-state road-tripping, able to layout bags without worrying about them toppling over etc. Of course this is a "to each their own" situation, everyone has different ways they prefer to travel/transport.

Of course.. the supreme solution is minivans or XL 3-row SUVs like the Suburban and Traverse, all of which offer both ample vertical and horizontal space with the 3rd rows folded down
Old 07-20-23, 10:22 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While this is not the exact car, a friend and I spent a winter restoring one just like it. 1941 Ford “Woodie”, flat head 8 with a non synchro 3 speed on the column. Drove it cross country from Cape Cod to Huntington Beach CA. Two surfboards on the roof. This was way back in the summer of 1970, still have some fond memories of that adventure. My pal went off to‘Nam and I off to college. Thankfully we both survived. Sold the car there for a nice profit, bought 2 tickets to Boston right away and spent the rest of the money and the summer at the beach.

Old 07-20-23, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That's nice. Is it a '56?

Yep.....that's a '56. In those days, Chevy called their wagons "Nomad".

Also a nice two-tone paint-job. The automakers really blew it, IMO, when they tossed out the rainbow and focused mostly on monotones and neutral shades. It was done, of course, for cost-cutting and less-complexity in painting, although to be fair, in those days, of course, you also did not have the extra clearcoat layers, and paint usually faded quickly.
Old 07-20-23, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
I agree with the first point, it will take a long time. The resurgence of the entry-luxe wagon will determine if it trickles down to lower segments in the next 20 years I'd say, especially if Lexus is planning a BEV entry as well.

Regarding the other point.. disagree with that. I find the horizontal volume offered in wagons to be a lot more usable and functional, than the "shorter but more vertical" volume in SUVs (ie, my Audi Allroad vs a Q5) For multiple inter-state road-tripping, able to layout bags without worrying about them toppling over etc. Of course this is a "to each their own" situation, everyone has different ways they prefer to travel/transport.

Of course.. the supreme solution is minivans or XL 3-row SUVs like the Suburban and Traverse, all of which offer both ample vertical and horizontal space with the 3rd rows folded down
There is no resurgence of luxury wagons that I can see. The same suspects make some and sell them here at very low volumes.

There is just no way we can get all our stuff in a wagon, and we need a third row and want captains chairs, just doesn’t work for us.
Old 07-20-23, 11:09 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yep.....that's a '56. In those days, Chevy called their wagons "Nomad".

Also a nice two-tone paint-job. The automakers really blew it, IMO, when they tossed out the rainbow and focused mostly on monotones and neutral shades. It was done, of course, for cost-cutting and less-complexity in painting, although to be fair, in those days, of course, you also did not have the extra clearcoat layers, and paint usually faded quickly.
Well, they only called their Nomads, Nomads. Quite the difference.

Old 07-20-23, 11:28 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall only the two door wagons called Nomads.
Old 07-20-23, 12:27 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There is no resurgence of luxury wagons that I can see. The same suspects make some and sell them here at very low volumes.
BMW is bringing the next-gen M5 Wagon to the states and mentioned "rising demand" for an M Touring (granted, this is a niche market). Audi's A6 Allroad and RS 6 Avant have exceeded expectations per the recent driving reviews, and are bringing the next-gen entire A5/S5/RS 5 Avant lineup to the US, as opposed to solely A4 Allroad like currently. I definitely think the performance segment has influenced the more "normal" luxury wagons a lot. And of course, the E-Class "All-Terrain" continues with the next-generation too.

The Taycan Cross Turismo is seemingly (at least from what I see) quite successful with affluent dads, I see a lot of them here in LA.

And of course, Lexus has been toying with the idea of a BEV IS Wagon, per the concept reveals they did.. of course whether they actually make one or not is still TBD.
Old 07-20-23, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
I recall only the two door wagons called Nomads.
Fair point. You are partly correct....'55-'57 models were two-doors; later years were four-doors.

The four-door versions of course, were more flexible and versatile than the two-doors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-23 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?