Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 02:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Well, they only called their Nomads, Nomads. Quite the difference.

Nomads still look good today. The styling ages VERY well. Every now and then you'll see one that's been restored and some that have been customized. It's nice to see their lives being extended.
Old 07-20-23, 08:19 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People aren’t going to buy them. They have tons of experience that they won’t.
Toyota was caught suprised for a sudden demand in hybrids (for many of them there are year-long waitlists). What makes you think they can predict demand for a sensible wagon?

For a long time Saab 9-5 was one a very few sensible wagons on the market - and they sold about 1 wagon for every 2 sedans.

Problem is that you need to haul stuff on the top way more in a wagon than in SUV or minivan with more interior volume
The above mentioned Saab 9-5 had way more interior room than more than half of today's SUVs - with much flatter floor too.

Last edited by NdYAG; 07-20-23 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-21-23, 04:00 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Toyota was caught suprised for a sudden demand in hybrids (for many of them there are year-long waitlists). What makes you think they can predict demand for a sensible wagon?

For a long time Saab 9-5 was one a very few sensible wagons on the market - and they sold about 1 wagon for every 2 sedans.

The above mentioned Saab 9-5 had way more interior room than more than half of today's SUVs - with much flatter floor too.
Having owned 7 Saabs over the years I think it was always a forward thinking company. Fortunately for owners the engineers had control of the company, unfortunately for shareholders the engineers had control of the company. As far as performance wagons I’ll throw my V60 Polestar engineered into the mix, stealthy wagon.
Old 07-21-23, 04:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
'While this is not the exact car, a friend and I spent a winter restoring one just like it. 1941 Ford “Woodie”, flat head 8 with a non synchro 3 speed on the column. Drove it cross country from Cape Cod to Huntington Beach CA. Two surfboards on the roof."
Bet you got some funny looks somewhere around Kansas . . . .
Old 07-21-23, 04:35 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You’re not kidding, we drew a lot of attention all through the Midwest. Driving over the Rockies was pretty challenging with the 3 speed on the column and, of course, the brakes. I grew up in the city and my friend from the Cape, he wouldn’t drive the car in the cities so I drew the short straw there. It was quite a summer.
Old 07-21-23, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
BMW is bringing the next-gen M5 Wagon to the states and mentioned "rising demand" for an M Touring (granted, this is a niche market). Audi's A6 Allroad and RS 6 Avant have exceeded expectations per the recent driving reviews, and are bringing the next-gen entire A5/S5/RS 5 Avant lineup to the US, as opposed to solely A4 Allroad like currently. I definitely think the performance segment has influenced the more "normal" luxury wagons a lot. And of course, the E-Class "All-Terrain" continues with the next-generation too.

The Taycan Cross Turismo is seemingly (at least from what I see) quite successful with affluent dads, I see a lot of them here in LA.

And of course, Lexus has been toying with the idea of a BEV IS Wagon, per the concept reveals they did.. of course whether they actually make one or not is still TBD.
Nobody is questioning if these wagons are excellent, but the question is will anybody buy one. My guess is they will remain extremely niche. Wagons in the us just aren’t going to happen.

In reality there is no reason for them. A crossover is basically just a tall wagon on a car platform. Only people like us who are enthusiasts get the appeal of a wagon.

Originally Posted by NdYAG

I don’t think Toyota was surprised by demand for hybrids. They created the modern hybrid and anticipated the niche. People in the US are not all of a sudden going to do an about face and want wagons again en masse. It’s one thing for a manufacturer who makes wagons in other markets to bring them here, Toyota has to design wagons just for here because they don’t sell larger family wagons in Europe and that makes no sense.

Year long waitlists are not the case in the US, and Toyota has shown they want to limit demand to create waitlists and buzz. Look at the new Sequoia and the LX. those are vehicles they can easily build enough of to meet the tepid demand and they choose not to.
Old 07-22-23, 07:50 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

At the end of the TourX production run, ~$40k vehicles were selling for -26k (massive discounts and manufacturer rebates). Sure, that was before the craziness of the past couple years and arguably the MSRP on them was pretty inflated, but I also can’t see the wagons ever making the comeback. It’s nice that some of the European manufacturers are keeping them alive, but they’re (IMHO) permanently relegated to the niche market.
Old 07-22-23, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with the concept of low-slung wagons not coming back again in any significant number, simply because most buyers, today, want more ground clearance and a higher-stance. But the appeal of higher-stance, raised-suspension wagons has been proved for many years, particularly with the Subaru Outback and Forester.
Old 07-22-23, 10:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
owned (and was made fun of) an accord wagon in my early car days, and i miss it so much...i am always looking for an older e-class w211 but they are getting more and more rare every year!

The more I look at it, the more I like it!
Old 07-22-23, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with the concept of low-slung wagons not coming back again in any significant number, simply because most buyers, today, want more ground clearance and a higher-stance. But the appeal of higher-stance, raised-suspension wagons has been proved for many years, particularly with the Subaru Outback and Forester.
Forester is a crossover, not a wagon. Outback is a wagon but is really a niche product that has really high customer return rate.
Old 07-22-23, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Forester is a crossover, not a wagon. Outback is a wagon but is really a niche product that has really high customer return rate.

I had a 2006 Outback for over 5 years.....I can understand its popularity, particularly in the winter, Best snow vehicle I ever owned, even with all-season tires. Unbelievable traction. I wouldn't call it a niche product.....its popularity is enormous, particularly in this D.C. area and in New England, West Virginia, the Rockies, and the Northwest.

As far as crossovers vs. AWD wagons, it can be sometimes be hard to differentiate between some of them....you yourself alluded to that in an earlier post. Other good examples besides the Forester are the Honda Crosstour, 1st-Generation Toyota Venza, Audi Avant/All-Road, and Volvo XC70.
Old 07-22-23, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as crossovers vs. AWD wagons, it can be sometimes be hard to differentiate between some of them....you yourself alluded to that in an earlier post. Other good examples besides the Forester are the Honda Crosstour, 1st-Generation Toyota Venza, Audi Avant/All-Road, and Volvo XC70.
Not really lol. Forester has always clearly been a crossover.
Old 07-25-23, 04:59 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I worked for an industrial production company which in a paroxysm of social responsibility, decided to equip all of us new hires with Pinto wagons . . . instead of the then-standard full-size Fords. I was the first of this group, but there would be several others in the following year as we expanded (it was in `94, I believe). We needed the wagon because we hauled a lot of video gear to locations all over the state (If you had to fly, considering interstate trips, you could plead that you NEEDED to rent a full size wagon to haul the gear because there weren't too many mini-wagons available in rental fleets at the time.)

Driving that Pinto with a couple hundred pounds of electronics, tripods, lights, cables, etc. in the "wayback" resulted in some pretty nasty handling and we wrecked our rides on a regular basis (Significantly, all one-car accidents) After a year's worth of social responsibility, the boss gave up - and as a regional manager by then, I ended up with a new full-size Chevy Impala wagon. That was really NICE, and at about $10K (in those days) only about $2700 more than the pint-sized Pinto.

My experience with the big wagon included a carwash attendant smashing mine into another car (causing about $1500 worth of damage on it's second day in my hands), but that front-end impact would have TOTALED a Pinto. The boss did the math and we stuck with full-size company cars after that - those small wagons burned a bit less fuel, but required replacement after even minor accidents. Not a good trade-off, especially when employees were also getting hurt in simple fender-benders in our mini-rides (yeah, I was just the first one). As they say, there's no substitute for sheer avoirdupois.

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-25-23 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-25-23, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Driving that Pinto with a couple hundred pounds of electronics, tripods, lights, cables, etc. in the "wayback" resulted in some pretty nasty handling and we wrecked our rides on a regular basis (Significantly, all one-car accidents) After a year's worth of social responsibility, the boss gave up - and as a regional manager by then, I ended up with a new full-size Chevy Impala wagon. That was really NICE, and at about $10K (in those days) only about $2700 more than the pint-sized Pinto.

My experience with the big wagon included a carwash attendant smashing mine into another car (causing about $1500 worth of damage on it's second day in my hands), but that front-end impact would have TOTALED a Pinto. The boss did the math and we stuck with full-size company cars after that - those small wagons burned a bit less fuel, but required replacement after even minor accidents. Not a good trade-off, especially when employees were also getting hurt in simple fender-benders in our mini-rides (yeah, I was just the first one). As they say, there's no substitute for sheer avoirdupois.
Trust me, Bob....what you went through with those impacts with Pinto wagons is NOTHING compared to what would have happened had you gotten significantly rear-ended by one.
Old 09-19-23, 07:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

I saw my first ever Audi RS6 Avant wagon on the road the other day... wow what a great looking car. Perfectly executed, beautiful design.

Quick Reply: Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?