Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 09:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts
Default Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?

Hi Club Lexus friends!

Inspired by post in General Car Chat, I thought it would be cool to make a thread about wagons since I just learned they still do exist.

Almost never see them anymore and when I do, they're very old.
No love for Wagons anymore?
It's all about the SUV now?
Which is better?

<Spoiler alert> I like wagons. lol

Here's the new Mercedes E-Class wagon and probably deserving of it's own thread but yes, they still make them.

Full specs, source
Old 06-29-23, 09:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Unfortunately wagons (Estates as they're called in Europe) just aren't popular in the US. Audi sells a couple here based on the A4 and A6 but they sell in tiny numbers vs. the CUV's and SUV's as you can imagine. I really like the Mercedes in the picture. Another favorite is the BMW 5 Series. I think they call it Touring, but not sure.

Old 06-29-23, 09:39 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The reality is that most SUVs are really just lifted wagons. They are car-based, unibody vehicles which bear little resemblance to the original definition of an SUV (truck-based, body-on-frame).
Wagons are sport-ish SUVs.
Old 06-29-23, 09:45 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved my BMW Tourings. I can’t think of one saloon that looks better than it’s wagon counterpart.
Old 06-29-23, 09:50 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think most people like Wagons, I personally think they look goofy and I can't stand them. BMW is making an M5 Touring and bringing it to the US but I would NOT get that over the regular M5 Sedan.
Old 06-29-23, 10:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

I see the appeal - I really like the new Audi wagons when I see them around (which is rare). I'd own one - but it would be only when I was shopping for a new car/sedan. I wouldn't consider one to replace our SUV as one of the requirements would be ride height.
Old 06-29-23, 10:24 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 664 Likes on 415 Posts

The first car I ever bought new from a Mercedes wagon. Why wagons are viewed as they are viewed escapes me. More space and practicality than their sedan equivalent, and better riding/handling and generally more efficient than any CUV/SUV equivalent. The line between a traditional wagon and some crossovers is pretty blurry, probably to avoid something being labeled a wagon...

Old 06-29-23, 10:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Whenever I see an RS6 Avant, I am quickly reminded that wagons are cool. Well, some of them. I think it would be hard to choose between an RS6 Avant and an RS7 if I was in the market. I think the RS7 looks better, but I know underneath they are pretty much the same, with the RS6 being more practical.
Old 06-29-23, 10:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I loved my BMW Tourings. I can’t think of one saloon that looks better than it’s wagon counterpart.
How much of a price difference is there between a saloon and a touring?
Old 06-29-23, 10:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I do like wagons, but they wouldn't work for my family as well as our CUV (Highlander) does. I like a bit of additional ground clearance for the snow, though it's not a showstopper. The extra interior height was always easier when loading the kids into car seats (a phase we're finally out of), and the taller doors assist in that as well.

The biggest benefit for us is the higher seating level, which is much easier for our parents, who are getting older. For example, I can't take my MIL with me in the GS, because the seating position is low enough that she must pull herself up to exit the car, which is a struggle. It's easier for her to go in the Highlander (or her Durango), to just turn, step down, and exit. Not unlike a minivan.
Old 06-29-23, 10:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Whenever I see an RS6 Avant, I am quickly reminded that wagons are cool. Well, some of them. I think it would be hard to choose between an RS6 Avant and an RS7 if I was in the market. I think the RS7 looks better, but I know underneath they are pretty much the same, with the RS6 being more practical.
Sure the RS6 Avant is cool; but would bringing back the Camry wagon be "cool"? It's unfair to pick one of the best wagons ever produced to make the argument for wagons in general....
Old 06-29-23, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Club Lexus friends!

Inspired by post in General Car Chat, I thought it would be cool to make a thread about wagons since I just learned they still do exist.

Subaru is probably the most successful marketer of wagons still in the American market. More-so than most crossovers, the Forester and Outback are basically AWD wagons on a raised-suspension. They also have what is arguably the best car-based AWD system on the market.

Old 06-29-23, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Club Lexus friends!

No love for Wagons anymore?
It's all about the SUV now?
Which is better?

<Spoiler alert> I like wagons. lol

Here's the new Mercedes E-Class wagon and probably deserving of it's own thread but yes, they still make them.

Full specs, source
Thats actually the old E Class wagon, that generation was refreshed a few years ago and here is the new one coming out:

I like wagons too, they just aren't practical enough for my needs. American needs and european needs are different.
Old 06-29-23, 11:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

I really like the V60/V80 from Volvo too.
Old 06-29-23, 11:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How much of a price difference is there between a saloon and a touring?
About the same.

The M3 Touring (not offered in the US) is 1,000 Euros more than the Sedan. The RS7 "4-door coupe" is $2,000 more than the basically similar RS6 Avant wagon.

Quick Reply: Where Did They All Go, No Love for Wagons?