Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Waymo taxi ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
think of all the horse poop shovelers, blacksmiths and others that lost their jobs when cars became a thing.
LOL. Not quite. They just use vehicles today to scoop poop. In fact, our condo board contracts with this company:

Old 07-02-23, 06:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
LOL. Not quite. They just use vehicles today to scoop poop. In fact, our condo board contracts with this company:

Wait you’ve got horse poop in the streets around your condo? Ritzy!
Old 07-02-23, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Wait you’ve got horse poop in the streets around your condo? Ritzy!
No, Dave. This company comes periodically and scoops up what pet-owners are SUPPOSED to clean up behind their pets.....some of them do, some don't. Lots of people walk their dogs in my development, and the dogs poop. So do squirrels, raccoons, cats, geese, and even some deer. But I don't want to get too far off-topic with this. I only replied because bitkahuna mentioned that the rise of the automobile put this line of work out of buisness...it didn't.
Old 07-02-23, 07:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

No, Dave. This company comes periodically and scoops up what pet-owners are SUPPOSED to clean up behind their pets.....some of them do, some don't. Lots of people walk their dogs in my development, and the dogs poop. So do squirrels, raccoons, cats, geese, and even some deer. But I don't want to get too far off-topic with this. I only replied because bitkahuna mentioned that the rise of the automobile put this line of work out of buisness...it didn't.
But he said horse poop like when horses and horse drawn carriages were used for transit I think what you posted is a very different job. Different crap, different day.
Old 07-02-23, 07:45 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
I am rooting for this tech. An fully autonomous car would be amazing. I absolutely love radar cruise + lane keep assist in my cars. If that can be made smarter so i don't have to focus as much, i would be all over it.
Some brands already offer free hand driving.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Living in SF, I see the Waymo and Cruise vehicles everywhere. It is quite interesting to see. There will be a huge learning curve to operate around them and for users in them. There was a Cruise vehicle that was signaling to change lanes, I presume it was trying to make a turn soon, but cars just kept zipping by it (including myself), and it kept being cautious and turned off it's blinker, turned it back on, and off again. lol. Im sure it missed its turn. If I was inside, I would be mad haha
I personally would not want to be in one or drive near one. But it's definitely cool for sure. When I watched Fifth Element, I was wondering... wow one day the world will be like this but for sure not our time.
Originally Posted by Margate330
I am rooting for the tech too, maybe I should've mentioned that.
Just don't want to see it used to take jobs.
Not much we can do. Just like when they moved manufacturing sites oversea in early 2000s. We thought we would be dead here but look how they are now. Tech's are taking over where owners can make more money. I don't blame them though. If I could replace my staff with robots, I would too. Wages are just crazy after COVID. Some of these jobs don't need much education or can learn on job, but the minimal wage requirement is just crazy and keeps pushing everything up. This must be on their mind too when they wanted to implement this. It makes perfect sense in California. Same with self order/pay at McDonald and Kroger. Same idea just a bit crazier.
Old 07-02-23, 08:42 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
think of all the horse poop shovelers, blacksmiths and others that lost their jobs when cars became a thing.
Cars gave us a booming business!
What does a driver-less taxi give us?

A big fat nothing. Lol

I just noticed the business name on the side of the truck. 🤣

Originally Posted by RXSF
I presume it was trying to make a turn soon, but cars just kept zipping by it (including myself), and it kept being cautious and turned off it's blinker, turned it back on, and off again. lol. Im sure it missed its turn. If I was inside, I would be mad haha
Mad at who?
The car or the people not letting you in. Haha
Old 07-02-23, 11:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep.....that's why I don't trust self-driving cars. And leave it to San Francisco to come up with a system like that.
No - there's an article in today's WaPo - SF City Council is opposed to this.

EDIT.... I see now that you already read that article.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-02-23 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-02-23, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
No - there's an article in today's WaPo - SF City Council is opposed to this.
I posted the article the Post ran yesterday on the matter......see Post #7. They are arguing the merits/demerit of it.
Old 07-02-23, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
User stupidity and editorial hit piece- she will have had to accept the walk (and in fact the confusion at the start of the booking was her glossing over that). Plus she's so annoying I'd have dropped her off a walk away too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfDriving..._inside_waymo/
Why is it a hit piece that the car can't make it to a precise known destination? Even after customer support intervention. "Accepting a walk" may or may not be a viable solution for everyone in every situation.
Old 07-02-23, 12:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

Why is it a hit piece that the car can't make it to a precise known destination? Even after customer support intervention. "Accepting a walk" may or may not be a viable solution for everyone in every situation.
Because it's clearly user error dressed up as a shortcoming in functionality. I've posted videos showing Waymo getting to that specific destination, and a reddit thread discussing the same. The green light delay was down to waymo, the destination failure was down to her. There's obviously an agenda here. "Self driving car getting to destination" drives fewer hits and views than "self driving car fails to get to destination". The point is the lady in the video ensured the outcome, and the video was selectively edited to support the desired narrative.
Old 07-02-23, 01:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Because it's clearly user error dressed up as a shortcoming in functionality. I've posted videos showing Waymo getting to that specific destination, and a reddit thread discussing the same. The green light delay was down to waymo, the destination failure was down to her. There's obviously an agenda here. "Self driving car getting to destination" drives fewer hits and views than "self driving car fails to get to destination". The point is the lady in the video ensured the outcome, and the video was selectively edited to support the desired narrative.
the fallacy in your argument is that just because you have accurately entered that destination successfully doesn’t mean that it will happen 100% of the time. It’s like saying “I was at that intersection with a green light and Waymo proceeded just fine. So the hesitation *must* have been her fault.” None of us can say for sure if she entered the destination wrong or not. Anyone who has used Google Maps has inevitably seen a marker for a business in the wrong place. Glitches happen. With a human driver, you just say “ No, this isn’t right. I’ll show you.”
Old 07-02-23, 01:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

the fallacy in your argument is that just because you have accurately entered that destination successfully doesn’t mean that it will happen 100% of the time. It’s like saying “I was at that intersection with a green light and Waymo proceeded just fine. So the hesitation *must* have been her fault.” None of us can say for sure if she entered the destination wrong or not. Anyone who has used Google Maps has inevitably seen a marker for a business in the wrong place. Glitches happen. With a human driver, you just say “ No, this isn’t right. I’ll show you.”
There's no fallacy. No one disputes the green light delay was a problem, and as it relates to the destination it was the first time she'd ever used the service and there was clear user issue in what was shown never mind what was selectively edited out.

With that said. the over dramatization and ham acting probably did the most to reveal that there was an agenda.
Old 07-02-23, 02:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

There's no fallacy. No one disputes the green light delay was a problem, and as it relates to the destination it was the first time she'd ever used the service and there was clear user issue in what was shown never mind what was selectively edited out.

With that said. the over dramatization and ham acting probably did the most to reveal that there was an agenda.
you keep saying it's a clear user issue. I watched the video and I don't see anything that establishes that for a fact. She called customer service and was instructed to adjust the destination pin to the museum. So your argument is that she moved the destination pin to exactly where she was parked at the time? That makes no sense.

You don't have to believe the report. But that's your belief system, not a fact.
Old 07-02-23, 02:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Looking at the video cover art, I'm guessing Karen is a drama queen. Lol

Like an infomercial but opposite.
Old 07-02-23, 02:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have to believe the report. But that's your belief system, not a fact.
Yes sir, you are correct.
I don't believe her tho.

That green light stop looked shady.

I don't know and I wasn't there but something smells off to me.

Quick Reply: Waymo taxi ride