Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 focus SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-23, 11:39 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean a Mazda3.....or a Tesla?
Seeing as how a Model 3 doesn't require oil changes, it would be the Mazda3... lol
Old 07-09-23, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Not all, and not on the same level as Toyota. On the other hand, they're one of the few (if not only) manufacturers thinking outside the box when it comes to engine development. Plus they're still making the Miata, and it hasn't been ruined. Plus soul red
I havent heard any negative stories about reliability from any of the people I know with Mazdas...

Yes, I obviously meant Mazda 3 lol
Old 07-09-23, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Seeing as how a Model 3 doesn't require oil changes, it would be the Mazda3... lol

OK, good point. That one briefly got past me.
Old 07-09-23, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I havent heard any negative stories about reliability from any of the people I know with Mazdas...
Piston engine Mazdas have generally been average or better in reliability. Rotary RX-8s have had several issues in the engine, primarily with oil-use and the rotary-tip seals, which have a tendency to wear rapidly....they are comparable to piston rings in a conventional engine. They naturally use a lot of oil because that is part of the rotary-combustion process.
Old 07-09-23, 12:51 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Yes, I obviously meant Mazda 3 lol
I know a guy I went to school with and he has a 2011 Mazda3 with nearly 350k miles. The transmission is on its last legs and the engine burns all kinds of oil but they has gone this long, which is an achievement for a Mazda. Hell, any car really, Toyota included.
Old 07-09-23, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know a guy I went to school with and he has a 2011 Mazda3 with nearly 350k miles. The transmission is on its last legs and the engine burns all kinds of oil but they has gone this long, which is an achievement for a Mazda. Hell, any car really, Toyota included.
Yeah his Mazda 3 had a hard life too...
Old 07-10-23, 04:28 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

I wasn't talking about rotary Mazdas, they get a free pass for very obvious reasons

Anyways, I guess I'll have to look up whether their -G engines are as finicky as others have led me to believe - or if it's just a general reaction of "oh high comp + DI = must be trash".

"All kinds of oil"... have you tried bunker oil? :P
Old 07-10-23, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I don't get the hate for this thing. I drove a SE Wagon (I think it was actually a 2004 also) for a number of years in a previous job. It was a great little car. Reasonably peppy engine, very good handling, comfortable ride, very roomy for its size.
Old 07-10-23, 05:40 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I don't get the hate for this thing. I drove a SE Wagon (I think it was actually a 2004 also) for a number of years in a previous job. It was a great little car. Reasonably peppy engine, very good handling, comfortable ride, very roomy for its size.
It's not bad, I just drove it post repair and it's okay. Large inside for the exterior size as you mentioned but my god the handling is BAD, thing has insane body roll and no resistance to road irregularities or undulations. You just get tossed around like crazy at only 60-70 over moderately difficult surfaces lol! Turn in is vague, mid corner is not easily adjusted at all and steering has no feedback or weighting change.....you can 4 wheel slide the car though but the breakaway is choppy.

Engine is pleasant, I was expecting a far more annoying tone but it was nice and didn't have much vibration for what it was. The road vibrations and noise are so loud the engine is not an issue in that respect.

It did fight me in every way possible, inner bushing sleeves where rusted solid to the bolts so the power of the sun was used to get everything apart. Literally everything required torch and extra steps as shown above. Arms had to be cut off entirely to allow access

Last edited by Striker223; 07-10-23 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No hate for it here...its just a crummy old little car
Old 07-10-23, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While we're all entitled to our views, geko has a point. While obviously not the equal of a Corolla or Civic in build-quality, it was a reasonably good subcompact, and sold in good numbers. It had a generally good reputation until Ford put in that junk dual-clutch transmission that was nothing but trouble from Day One.
Old 07-10-23, 03:46 PM
xjokerz
Racer

LOL

Says the guy that drove the LS400 as a teenager and continued driving high quality Lexus sedans until he switched things up to an S-Class.

Old 07-10-23, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL

Says the guy that drove the LS400 as a teenager and continued driving high quality Lexus sedans until he switched things up to an S-Class.

Well the LS400 wasn't mine lol.

Theres nothing wrong with cheap, old cars they're just not anything to get excited about...
Old 07-10-23, 06:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While we're all entitled to our views, geko has a point. While obviously not the equal of a Corolla or Civic in build-quality, it was a reasonably good subcompact, and sold in good numbers. It had a generally good reputation until Ford put in that junk dual-clutch transmission that was nothing but trouble from Day One.
I would say that this is better than a civic from the same year, civics sound and feel cheaper IMO. Less substantial and honestly have more issues with engine/trans than these with more difficult packaging to work on, I have no reason to defend either but that's just coming from working on 7th gen civic and these.

Wife picked up this oil for me ultra cheap, $.85 each quart so I have the oil change covered for under $10 now. Once I have all fluids changed the ford will be ready to go to sale.

Last edited by Striker223; 07-10-23 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I would say that this is better than a civic from the same year, civics sound and feel cheaper IMO.
Civics at one time were virtually bulletproof and assembled like Swiss Watches. You're correct that there has been some recent deterioration in them, but I also think that some of what you call "sounding" cheaper might just be the fact that sound-insulation has never been a strong Civic asset, even decades ago.

Wife picked up this oil for me ultra cheap, $.85 each quart so I have the oil change covered for under $10 now. Once I have all fluids changed the ford will be ready to go to sale.
Hard to find oil at that price nowadays. I couldn't use oil like that, though....GM now requires full-synthetic for turbos.

Quick Reply: 2004 focus SE