Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 focus SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 08:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts
Default 2004 focus SE

Bought this cheap/cheerful little car, it had failed in a a dramatic manner for the last owners so it was practically free.

Overall it is very simple, light, and cute. I've never owned anything so basic other than my Saturn but that one was a manual and old enough to be quirky etc.....this thing is just a really cheap simple car.

Sorry for the bad lighting, I just threw it in the bay as I was leaving today

Not a bad looking car actually, really embraces the New Edge look

Super roomy engine bay, it has never had the timing belt changed and I'll be replacing it due to that. It's a non-interference engine though so it doesn't matter much

Interior is like new

Ultra simplistic....

Doesn't even have fog lights but it DOES have auto down drivers window

No tach, low miles

Very simple design

Practically nothing here

This is the side that is still intact.....

The problem

Old 07-08-23, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Cool pics. Interesting to see the simplicity
Old 07-08-23, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I have a lender I work with who makes great money but is incredibly cheap, be had one of these. He called it the “fun sized Focus”.

My mother in law also had one of these for years and it gave her lots of years of faithful service. I would rather be lobotomized
Old 07-08-23, 10:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice, maybe you can throw a few turbos on it and get it up to speed.
Old 07-08-23, 10:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have a lender I work with who makes great money but is incredibly cheap, be had one of these. He called it the “fun sized Focus”.

My mother in law also had one of these for years and it gave her lots of years of faithful service. I would rather be lobotomized
It's fun to just drive once, mostly to remind myself how good my other cars are lol! It's not something I can comprehend driving every day as my actual car.....I should be getting rid of it shortly once it is fixed since I know it will sell very easily/well.

Last edited by Striker223; 07-08-23 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-08-23, 10:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Nice, maybe you can throw a few turbos on it and get it up to speed.
I mean you joke but they totally have done that....it's very funny though since most guys just throw turbos on without building the engines and they fry rings/pistons. Then again they are SO cheap to work with and pull engines etc I can understand why people don't care, one of these days I'll buy a honda and throw a K20 into it and see how stupid it can get.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/04...-focus-part-3/

https://www.focaljet.com/threads/pow...-block.629980/
Old 07-09-23, 04:34 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Needs to be a hatch and a manual.

Paint also looks way too good for a beater.

The focus is not too simple in the back - most cars of that class have simple beams, except when specced with "AWD". On the other hand, why were drum brakes still being used at the time...

I don't think I've seen a control arm failure like that just yet. The spring also looks relatively spotless...?!

Re: K20 (& K-series in general) - one you know about the camshafts pitting... you always look at them in a "what the f" way. Good engines no doubt, just... how the h*** does this happen.
Old 07-09-23, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's fun to just drive once, mostly to remind myself how good my other cars are lol! It's not something I can comprehend driving every day as my actual car.....I should be getting rid of it shortly once it is fixed since I know it will sell very easily/well.
I am always amazed by what people choose to drive when they don't have to.
Old 07-09-23, 08:09 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

For extra horse power fast and cheap.

Nitro OBD Tune!

Spoiler

Old 07-09-23, 08:55 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Consumer reports rated these cars pretty high in the small car category. And with the Mazda engine they were pretty reliable too.
Old 07-09-23, 10:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tdes395
Consumer reports rated these cars pretty high in the small car category. And with the Mazda engine they were pretty reliable too.
Yeah I've found it ironic that the most reliable fords are really Mazdas underneath, this and the fusion are the best examples of that.

The rear suspension is somewhat complex I guess, for the class absolutely and it definitely lends it some serious handling ability but compared to anything like an ES even it's not that outstanding. This same system was originally developed for "world car" small cars and the Mondeo/Jag cars. It was intended to be able to be packaged as a torsion beam size wise but still have good control and most interestingly have "active passive" rear steering via bump steering under load to liven the car up.

In that respect I would say it works but it's not like a multi-link and the system relies on the long trailing type arms flexing under load to provide the turn in. The feel is good on the X-type and I imagine it will be great for the class on this car.

The drum brakes are super typical of the price range and age of this car.....they work and are in good shape so I'm not messing with them.
Old 07-09-23, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mazdas are very reliable, my cousin had a Model 3 that he put 215,000 miles on it and it never had one repair, not one. Just oil changes, brakes and tires.
Old 07-09-23, 11:26 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Not all, and not on the same level as Toyota. On the other hand, they're one of the few (if not only) manufacturers thinking outside the box when it comes to engine development. Plus they're still making the Miata, and it hasn't been ruined. Plus soul red
Old 07-09-23, 11:31 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Not all, and not on the same level as Toyota. On the other hand, they're one of the few (if not only) manufacturers thinking outside the box when it comes to engine development. Plus they're still making the Miata, and it hasn't been ruined. Plus soul red
I have yet to have a Mazda come through with actual issues and I have three 200-300k cars. The only time I have ever really worked on one was a trans solenoid issue and all have had valve cover leaks but that's not really true issue in a 4 cyl car lol!

I am suitably impressed by them in terms of reliability, rust however is what kills them.
Old 07-09-23, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mazdas are very reliable, my cousin had a Model 3 that he put 215,000 miles on it and it never had one repair, not one. Just oil changes, brakes and tires.
Did you mean a Mazda3.....or a Tesla?

Quick Reply: 2004 focus SE