Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23 | 02:42 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota sells spartan Land Cruisers in other countries also. You're only considering what they sold here for a brief period of time.

I think we are to the point where we have heard your specific concerns and its time for you to let the conversation about the new Land Cruiser progress with those that are interested in the new model...

If it sold in the numbers Toyota wanted to sell, they wouldn't have discontinued it in the US. Its simply redundant. At the end they sold about 3,500 of them a year here, just not worth it.

Here are the sales in the US from 2005, as you can see very slow seller and they were still selling 2021s in 2022 and 2023, so hardly a quick seller.

Here are the LX sales figures (the 26,000 year is a data error, if you look at the monthlies they are saying it sold 22,000 units in one month, likely should have been 220). As you can see neither sell very well, makes no sense for them to have two separate slow selling vehicles that are the same vehicle

As a comparison, the Ford Bronco is on track to sell ~ 100,000 units. This new Land Cruiser is going to be a runaway sales success that will dwarf the annual sales of the 200 Series LC in a month or less.

Here is the sales breakdown, Ford had already sold over 85,000 Broncos in 2023 through July:

If Toyota does HALF the sales of the Bronco with this it will be a runaway success
It’s not time for me to do anything. This conversation is free to progress in what ever trajectory it sees fit. And I will make whatever point that I feel needs to be made in sharing my thoughts on the matter. I don’t need a referee signal especially from you to indicate that. You seem to have a problem with being dictatorial, and a persistent contrarian to a fault on these forums. You behave with a brute force of assumed authority that even the moderators don’t display. It is my suggestion that you remember that we are all adults on this form and don’t require any direction from you to participate in them. You want the last word? You’re free to have it as far as I’m concerned since you seem to place more value on achieving that than it’s actually worth.

Last edited by Tdes395; 08-09-23 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-09-23 | 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota sells spartan Land Cruisers in other countries also. You're only considering what they sold here for a brief period of time.

I think we are to the point where we have heard your specific concerns and its time for you to let the conversation about the new Land Cruiser progress with those that are interested in the new model...

If it sold in the numbers Toyota wanted to sell, they wouldn't have discontinued it in the US. Its simply redundant. At the end they sold about 3,500 of them a year here, just not worth it.

Here are the sales in the US from 2005, as you can see very slow seller and they were still selling 2021s in 2022 and 2023, so hardly a quick seller.

Here are the LX sales figures (the 26,000 year is a data error, if you look at the monthlies they are saying it sold 22,000 units in one month, likely should have been 220). As you can see neither sell very well, makes no sense for them to have two separate slow selling vehicles that are the same vehicle

As a comparison, the Ford Bronco is on track to sell ~ 100,000 units. This new Land Cruiser is going to be a runaway sales success that will dwarf the annual sales of the 200 Series LC in a month or less.

Here is the sales breakdown, Ford had already sold over 85,000 Broncos in 2023 through July:

If Toyota does HALF the sales of the Bronco with this it will be a runaway success
haha, i somehow missed you posted the same info a couple of posts above mine... great minds.
Old 08-09-23 | 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's abundantly clear if Toyota was happy with the sales figures of the J200 Land Cruiser in the US, they'd have brought the J300 here. Clearly it wasn't worth the certification and complicating the LX600's production line to do so. Or they would have done it. They did the calculation and figured that people who can't buy a new J300 but want something that size will buy the LX, or downsize to a different Toyota like the Sequoia or the J250 LC.
Exactly. The proof that they weren’t happy with those sales figures and didn’t deem them worthwhile is that they didn’t bring the J300 here.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, i somehow missed you posted the same info a couple of posts above mine... great minds.
Yup, for sure!

Its just annoying how most conversations about new vehicles here always degrade into an argument about how the new vehicle is not as good as the old vehicle…the old vehicle is gone and this is a really exciting enthusiast oriented offering from Toyota…we should be excited about it. It seems they truly are damned if they do and damned if they don’t here. They make boring crossovers and FWD stuff and we complain. They make cool enthusiast grade stuff and we still complain…
Old 08-09-23 | 07:55 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Exactly. The proof that they weren’t happy with those sales figures and didn’t deem them worthwhile is that they didn’t bring the J300 here.
Disagree. They didn’t bring 300LC here, but it’s because of this new (smart) strategy with this 250. LX600 does have a nice off road package with fat tires.

I guarantee Toyota was satisfied with all 200 sales numbers here. We are just a cash cow market. They sell well into 6 figures of these worldwide.

Just 90% of American consumers take/took the shortcomings of the 200 along with the massive strengths it had over competition off road wise, engineering etc. Some people just have to have that, myself included.

I bet lots of childless couples like us have them. Or small families. Because they are vastly outclassed in size.

No need anymore because this 250 will sell like hotcakes, and a smart marketing move.

Old 08-09-23 | 08:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
Disagree. They didn’t bring 300LC here, but it’s because of this new (smart) strategy with this 250. LX600 does have a nice off road package with fat tires.

I guarantee Toyota was satisfied with all 200 sales numbers here. We are just a cash cow market. They sell well into 6 figures of these worldwide.

Just 90% of American consumers take/took the shortcomings of the 200 along with the massive strengths it had over competition off road wise, engineering etc. Some people just have to have that, myself included.

I bet lots of childless couples like us have them. Or small families. Because they are vastly outclassed in size.

No need anymore because this 250 will sell like hotcakes, and a smart marketing move.
I hope consumers like $80k hotcakes once the dealer marks them up. The dealers around NYC wants $10k extra for the GH and $15k extra for the Sienna.
Old 08-09-23 | 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not going to keep going back and forth but thus just doesn't make any sense. Toyota implemented this strategy with the 250 also because they were not satisfied with the LC's performance in this market and saw an opportunity to market a much more compelling high selling vehicle here with the Land Cruiser name. Its all connected. Bottom line is Toyota wants to sell more Land Cruisers in the US, this strategy is in pursuit of that goal. When you want to sell more, you aren't satisfied with selling less...
Old 08-09-23 | 12:59 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

I saw one up close today in a roundabout (Gloss black TLC300, not an LX), and.... I really don't dig the super boxy front overhang. The amount of chrome bricks on the front didn't help much either. Back was... ehh... let's say that overall, nooooo dig.
Old 08-09-23 | 01:35 PM
jer
Instructor

No third row, so will the new 4Runner still have that option? Personally, I prefer only 2 rows as to whatever my next vehicle is, I need the extra storage vs extra passengers.
Old 08-09-23 | 02:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Road test ASAP.
Old 08-09-23 | 02:51 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

The old Landcruiser sat on lots here in Massachusetts for months on end. They didn’t sell well at all. Wasn’t until Toyota announced they would no longer be sold here, when all of a sudden buyers woke up.

They were never competitive to other manufacturer offerings. Seemed out of place to me. Makes sense to just sell the LX 600 if buyers want it.

The new “Landcruiser” will sell well due to the lower price point and be competitive to the Bronco and the various Jeep offerings.

Just my observations and thoughts.👍

Last edited by mbarron37; 08-09-23 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-09-23 | 03:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

There's literally no evidence to suggest that Toyota is happy with the sales numbers of the J200 in the US. If they were happy with it, they'd keep doing it. Period.

Certainly no more than 41,923 couples. The entire J200 sales total in the US during its lifetime. Most of those sales going forward will be absorbed into the LX or another Toyota product. Toyota saves money by not having to develop the J300 for US regulatory standards which are no doubt much more burdensome than when the J200 was brought here. I would assume it was cheaper to take the GX and turn it into a Land Cruiser Prado and certify it due to the smaller size and presumably better efficiency from the 4 cylinder engine.

I'm sure if you asked a Toyota executive at a press event if they were happy with LC sales, they'd say yes. If you were that executive's buddy having drinks at the bar, probably get a different story.
Old 08-10-23 | 09:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
There's literally no evidence to suggest that Toyota is happy with the sales numbers of the J200 in the US. If they were happy with it, they'd keep doing it. Period.
Not happy, but satisfied. They sold it for 15 years, why not quit earlier? Like I said there are people, some I know personally, who won't drive ANYTHING else. My one LC buddy thinks the new Denali is literally junk. It's people like these that bought Land Cruisers, mostly, I would wager. Like I said he has two or three 300s, a LC to destroy (and he has, waterlogged it and bought a new engine) and his wife drives a pavement princess LX570. His several daughters all drive first gen GXs.

It's all good, the new one will sell so many it'll make our heads spin. I'm not going to change my mind and others aren't either about the old one. I don't really want to keep debating either.

BTW I got a reallllllly sweet F150 King Ranch for a loaner and I thought of you(I'm in bmfk California), I'll update later in another thread, great truck. However, short version: you made the right choice getting the V8 IMO.

Old 08-10-23 | 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

They make boring crossovers and FWD stuff and we complain. They make cool enthusiast grade stuff and we still complain…
yup. change is hard.

Like I said there are people, some I know personally, who won't drive ANYTHING else.
there were some people who bought pontiac azteks, what's your point?
Old 08-11-23 | 11:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Land Cruiser pick-up render is super cool!

Old 08-11-23 | 12:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there were some people who bought pontiac azteks, what's your point?
Lmao those were cult vehicles too, but for very less legitimate reasons. Walter White didn't care about his but Breaking Bad put him in that repainted ugly colored Aztec for a reason.

I knew several people who had them and loved them. Maybe we all have different interpretations of "cult" vehicles. Lots of Aztek owners loved them. Nothing like Land Cruiser cult, but still.

Keep in mind that (slightly modified minivan) Aztec platform spawned the Buick Rendezvous which was very successful so GM did make some bank, Aztec wasn't really a mistake financially. I didn't care for them at all, that said.

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions