Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23 | 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah that's not true at all....there are more parts and a 2nd coolant system and a turbo plus extra oil lines etc etc...only the CVT is lower maintenance but vs modern transmissions that gap is not very large.
It absolutely is true. Hybrids don’t have any of the components I mentioned and in that type of situation failure of those components is way more common than a turbo failure. No starter, no alternator, no accessory belts or pulleys, no belt driven water pump…if you ever do any off-roading these things are where you have failures.

BTW, the new LC does not have a CVT.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-23 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-13-23 | 09:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It absolutely is true. Hybrids don’t have any of the components I mentioned and in that type of situation failure of those components is way more common than a turbo failure. No starter, no alternator, no accessory belts or pulleys, no belt driven water pump…if you ever do any off-roading these things are where you have failures.

‘The new Toyota iForce Max engines have some of the components. For example, there is a traditional starter, but it is not always used. Different hybrid compared to a CVT hybrid from Toyota. The traditional starter is used if the hybrid battery is depleted. If the exterior temp is below 5F the system bypasses the hybrid system and uses the traditional starter.

Other things added. Two radiators for the inter coolers including the main radiator, four rads altogether. Three fans up front, one mechanical and two electric. Inverter has its own cooling system, separate water pump, coolant reservoir.

I would just rather have a naturally aspirated engine IMO. Much simpler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-13-23 | 03:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

They do still have water pump belts and the 12v system, I also just had 3 Prius in for hybrid loop coolant leaks and one battery rebuild/rebalance at only 97k miles but it was an older car. The car in question also does have a starter and many more radiators and coolant loops

You are not one to talk on what fails when off roading since you have never done it, you are far more prone to lose a tire, suspension link, or slam a pan.
Old 08-13-23 | 04:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Oh come on.

"I'm not gonna venture off road because my accessory drive pulley might fail..." Said no 200LC owner ever....

People pop tires and get stranded, stuff like that is usually the problem. Not water pumps failing lol. A LC is about the last truck to worry about having a problem with while off roading.

And I'd still trust said mechanicals of the old one over batteries and electric motors.

We would have something amazing under the hood of this 250 if not for CAFE. Whatever GX motor there would be (probably a fire breathing V8) probably would end up in this with less power. But whatever, it is what it is.
Old 08-13-23 | 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
They do still have water pump belts and the 12v system, I also just had 3 Prius in for hybrid loop coolant leaks and one battery rebuild/rebalance at only 97k miles but it was an older car. The car in question also does have a starter and many more radiators and coolant loops

You are not one to talk on what fails when off roading since you have never done it, you are far more prone to lose a tire, suspension link, or slam a pan.
What makes you think I have never off-roaded? I have actually done some serious off-roading in my life. Not in my own vehicles…

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh come on.

"I'm not gonna venture off road because my accessory drive pulley might fail..." Said no 200LC owner ever....

People pop tires and get stranded, stuff like that is usually the problem. Not water pumps failing lol. A LC is about the last truck to worry about having a problem with while off roading.

And I'd still trust said mechanicals of the old one over batteries and electric motors.

We would have something amazing under the hood of this 250 if not for CAFE. Whatever GX motor there would be (probably a fire breathing V8) probably would end up in this with less power. But whatever, it is what it is.
When on the trail with older vehicles you absolutely have belts snap and pumps fail causing overheating, it happens all the time. Those are spare parts that you carry with you.

Not to mention LCs in the parts of the world where they do the jungle trekking that you talk about don’t have that V8 engine, they’re petrol and diesel I6s mostly, several with turbos.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-14-23 | 04:20 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Now THIS is a Land Cruiser
Old 08-14-23 | 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^ i'm so confused.

so is that the new LC that's NOT coming to the u.s.?
Old 08-14-23 | 08:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Not to mention LCs in the parts of the world where they do the jungle trekking that you talk about don’t have that V8 engine, they’re petrol and diesel I6s mostly, several with turbos.
No, the old diesel was a V8. They also put the less powerful 4.6 gas V8 in them. And in some cases, the 4 Runner truck engine which has proven to be bulletproof too. That one was the six cylinder. Some overseas had the 5.7 but gas is so expensive in some areas... They're also not as power hungry as Americans.

If someone doesn't due their due diligence before going off roading (with any vehicle), they are putting themselves at risk for problems. I still wouldn't trust a 10 year old battery and electric motors to go really far off road, at least not like the ICE. Like I said, no way in hell would I have bought an LX with such a complicated powertrain with 100k miles. OTOH, a well maintained ICE truck especially a LC wouldn't concern me.

That said, I would trust a neglected LC over anything else in the same shape to take off road. Plenty of videos out there where people have beaten to death 200s that still get them everywhere just fine. Like this 200,000+ mile neglected V8 100.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-14-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-14-23 | 08:48 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ i'm so confused.

so is that the new LC that's NOT coming to the u.s.?
correct. Sadly, this ( minus the armor extras) is the one US customers DONT get. And in some ways it actually looks better than the lx600.
Old 08-14-23 | 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, the old diesel was a V8. They also put the less powerful 4.6 gas V8 in them. And in some cases, the 4 Runner truck engine which has proven to be bulletproof too. That one was the six cylinder. Some overseas had the 5.7 but gas is so expensive in some areas... They're also not as power hungry as Americans.
They had a V8 diesel but the LC was also sold with petrol and diesel 6 cyls in most world markets. Not all V8 for sure.

If someone doesn't due their due diligence before going off roading (with any vehicle), they are putting themselves at risk for problems. I still wouldn't trust a 10 year old battery and electric motors to go really far off road, at least not like the ICE. Like I said, no way in hell would I have bought an LX with such a complicated powertrain with 100k miles. OTOH, a well maintained ICE truck especially a LC wouldn't concern me.
There are many many Toyota hybrids running around with multiple 100K miles on them that are bulletproof. There is no reason to be worried about the reliability or longevity of a Toyota hybrid. ANYTHING old can break, including a Land Cruiser. The hydraulic suspension in your LX is a huge liability offroad for instance.

And in that Hoovie video, he spent many thousands of dollars on that old LC before he attempted any of that, replaced the hydraulic suspension etc.
Old 08-15-23 | 08:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

That said, I would trust a neglected LC over anything else in the same shape to take off road. Plenty of videos out there where people have beaten to death 200s that still get them everywhere just fine. Like this 200,000+ mile neglected V8 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9znNqqOmQQ
Reading things on internet is awesome, making assumptions based on that, not so good.

V8tt diesel was crap in L200. It is crappy 4cly from Toyota passenger lineup glued together, and since that diesel had huge issues, so did LC.
It was inefficient, slow, with turbo lag and pretty much every one that we sold had to be rebuilt under warranty.

4cly turbo diesel Prado was much more reliable than L200 v8tt diesel.

In general, Prado is very reliable, having sold hundreds of them I have never heard anyone ever say Prado is not an reliable vehicle or that they are buying L200 because it is more reliable. That simply never happened and this is not how people who bought and owned them, perceived them.
Old 08-15-23 | 10:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

In general, Prado is very reliable, having sold hundreds of them I have never heard anyone ever say Prado is not reliable vehicle or that they are buying L200 because it is more reliable. That simply never happened and this is not how people who bought and owned them, perceived them.
I never said the Prado is unreliable lol, we wanted a GX at one point. I just don’t care for the engine, couldn’t they just detune the GX550 motor? Im not saying this engine won’t be reliable nor have I said has Toyota not been excellent with hybrids, but in a tough vehicle like this, no thanks.

How many people here would rather listen to and feel power delivery from a moaning 4 cylinder over a stout regular V6 3.4tt? I’ve been driving an Ecoboost for a week and it’s not quite a V8 but it’s great.
Old 08-15-23 | 12:27 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Has anyone gotten to drive or ride in the Wrangler 4XE?

That's a plug-in hybrid, but closer in setup to the iFORCE MAX systems in the Land Cruiser (250 series) and Tacoma TRD Pro/Trailhunter.
Old 08-15-23 | 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Has anyone gotten to drive or ride in the Wrangler 4XE?

That's a plug-in hybrid, but closer in setup to the iFORCE MAX systems in the Land Cruiser (250 series) and Tacoma TRD Pro/Trailhunter.
Yes, I have a friend that has one and it feels great. He LOVES it.
Old 08-15-23 | 03:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I never said the Prado is unreliable lol, we wanted a GX at one point. I just don’t care for the engine, couldn’t they just detune the GX550 motor? Im not saying this engine won’t be reliable nor have I said has Toyota not been excellent with hybrids, but in a tough vehicle like this, no thanks.

How many people here would rather listen to and feel power delivery from a moaning 4 cylinder over a stout regular V6 3.4tt? I’ve been driving an Ecoboost for a week and it’s not quite a V8 but it’s great.
sure, i understand you wanting V8, just pointing out that worldwide, LC200s have been sold with crap diesel V8 (and not I6).

4.6l V8 was quite good in LC200, just sooooo thirsty. For rest of the world, regular V8 is just not an option anymore due to consumption and then associated taxes as well.

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions