Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The retro charm is pretty cool. I like a lot of ToMoCo SUVs lately
Old 08-15-23, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser reportedly gets 27 mpg combined

https://tfltruck.com/2023/08/wait-wi...onomy%20rating.

Old 08-15-23, 05:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
sure, i understand you wanting V8, just pointing out that worldwide, LC200s have been sold with crap diesel V8 (and not I6).

4.6l V8 was quite good in LC200, just sooooo thirsty. For rest of the world, regular V8 is just not an option anymore due to consumption and then associated taxes as well.
Yeah, displacement taxes suck. In any case, I'm done talking about this powertrain other than saying I hope it at least lays down some decent acceleration numbers.
Old 08-16-23, 04:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

so if we just add "i-FORCE MAX" to the end of an engine designation, it's suddenly 'tough' and 'powerful'. marketing... lol.
Old 08-16-23, 04:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Has anyone gotten to drive or ride in the Wrangler 4XE?

That's a plug-in hybrid, but closer in setup to the iFORCE MAX systems in the Land Cruiser (250 series) and Tacoma TRD Pro/Trailhunter.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yes, I have a friend that has one and it feels great. He LOVES it.
a friend has one too and it's quiet and peppy on electric, but sounds like a noisy sowing machine when the ice kicks in.
Old 08-16-23, 05:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a friend has one too and it's quiet and peppy on electric, but sounds like a noisy sowing machine when the ice kicks in.
I didn’t think it was that bad. Sounds like a 4 cyl.
Old 08-16-23, 09:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Ok I said I was done talking about the engine but calling it an "I-Force Max" when the last one was a 350CI V8 is a bit of a stretch.

At least think about that, to those that disagree with me.

Toyota surely could have come up with something clever, that's even better (for this application).
Old 08-17-23, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Ok I said I was done talking about the engine but calling it an "I-Force Max" when the last one was a 350CI V8 is a bit of a stretch.

At least think about that, to those that disagree with me.

Toyota surely could have come up with something clever, that's even better (for this application).
yes in post 199 above i wrote the same.
Old 08-17-23, 08:40 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but from my experience owning a PHEV, the battery drains pretty quickly. Is all 465 lb/ft of torque still available when the battery is drained or nearly drained? I can picture situations where the truck is off road and it doesn't have much opportunity to recharge, thus draining the battery.
Old 08-17-23, 09:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but from my experience owning a PHEV, the battery drains pretty quickly. Is all 465 lb/ft of torque still available when the battery is drained or nearly drained? I can picture situations where the truck is off road and it doesn't have much opportunity to recharge, thus draining the battery.
It's not a dumb question at all. We shouldn't have to even be thinking silly questions like this with a dang Land Cruiser. ICE only please.
Old 08-18-23, 03:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Pretty much yes. You have engine charging the battery as well. Although this powertrain will not help a lot during these situations:

We took a Tundra TRD Pro (it's exclusively a hybrid) on a fairly challenging off-road course and were surprised at how little the hybrid powertrain came into play. Our cross-country trip in the Rivian R1T and our time with the Jeep Wrangler 4xe has made us fans of electric off-roading, but when we shifted the transfer case of the Tundra TRD Pro to 4-Low range, the gas engine started and stayed running for the length of the trail, and we were unable to detect the hybrid system offering assistance as we crawled through the dirt and mud. We asked Toyota's engineers why there's no silent electric off-roading option, and they cited the clutch between the engine and motor. Connecting and disconnecting the engine and motor would cause a jerk, the antitheses of the smooth throttle modulation that off-roading requires. They assured us the motor can help out if you open the accelerator climbing a grade or crossing a bog.
You do have turbos though.

Old 08-18-23, 07:55 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Plug-in hybrids will run on electric-only (unless you override this and/or stomp on the gas pedal) until there's only enough juice to run as a traditional hybrid. It's unclear, to me at least, how power levels drop as the battery depletes. But this iFORCE MAX is more like a traditional hybrid in that 1) it's not a plug-in, so the battery is smaller on purpose which helps them charge and discharge quickly, 2) the battery should always have enough power for maximum torque (unless, perhaps, one did several back-to-back 0-60 or quarter mile tests) because it will recharge itself from the motor and/or the brakes as needed.

For the Sequoia and Tundra TRD Pros that I've driven, as well as the F150 PowerBoost, which are more similar to the LC, the hybrid motor effectively works in tandem with the turbos... on the cluster, you'll see a gauge for each that displays how much the turbo is spooling, and how much the e-motor is helping. And all of that is controlled by the computer's interpretation of throttle input, vehicle geometry, driving mode, and various sensors (wheel speed and such). Those vehicles never ran in e-only mode unless I was cruising on flat terrain and under ~20mph (so basically parking lots and a congested highway)... otherwise, it was a combination of ICE, turbos, and e-motor.

In those applications, I don't really see the benefit to silent crawling since, as the engineers pointed out, smoothness is the goal. And in low-range, the gearing is so extreme, the computer may not need to add very much e-boost, as it were.

But trust me, brake-torque one of these turbo/hybrid trucks and plant your foot and you'll launch super hard off the line. In other words, the power is there when you really need it (towing & acceleration, or as the engineers said, going up grades and through bogs).
Old 08-18-23, 08:14 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so if we just add "i-FORCE MAX" to the end of an engine designation, it's suddenly 'tough' and 'powerful'. marketing... lol.
Wow I wasn't aware of how small the engine is. That's crazy. I read (from Carmaker?) that these projects have been in place for 10-20 years. They must have overdone on the green part. These cars are like ... body builders. They look strong but not strong.