Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 12:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I love the vehicle, the powertrain is a let down...will it stop people from buying it? I doubt it. Remember no V6 power in the new Tacoma and I'm sure not in the new 4Runner either.

Shouldn't it be though? Why would the Lexus version of this being better in every way be a surprise?
Mostly because the LC was an LX and now it's firmly below the GX. Waste of the nameplate
Old 08-02-23, 12:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Mostly because the LC was an LX and now it's firmly below the GX. Waste of the nameplate
I think moving it downmarket makes sense and actually is truer to what the LC originally was
Old 08-02-23, 01:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think moving it downmarket makes sense and actually is truer to what the LC originally was
I think so too. Then I think they'll move the 4Runner down a bit too, kind of like it was originally.
Old 08-03-23, 12:38 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Toyota dont need a gargantuan BOF SUV that sells for more than the Sequoia. People will just buy that instead. This is the right move and truer to the original.
Old 08-03-23, 03:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Toyota dont need a gargantuan BOF SUV that sells for more than the Sequoia. People will just buy that instead. This is the right move and truer to the original.
Okay then, I just know it takes a lot to move a nameplate up market and it's VERY easy to have one fall. I would never want an LC now that it's no longer the top and before it was my first choice
Old 08-03-23, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Okay then, I just know it takes a lot to move a nameplate up market and it's VERY easy to have one fall. I would never want an LC now that it's no longer the top and before it was my first choice
Nobody bought Land Cruisers in this country anyways. This vehicle will sell tons more than the previous LC ever did, not everybody is thinking about where a vehicle ranks in a manufacturers lineup, in fact very few people are, especially when its a mainstream manufacturer.
Old 08-03-23, 04:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 789 Likes on 536 Posts

Massive win. Stock will be sold out before landing in the dealership.
Old 08-03-23, 04:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Nobody bought Land Cruisers in this country anyways. This vehicle will sell tons more than the previous LC ever did, not everybody is thinking about where a vehicle ranks in a manufacturers lineup, in fact very few people are, especially when its a mainstream manufacturer.
I have a Sequoia since I couldn't afford an LC at the time, now I wouldn't consider the LC at all due to the down-market move. The only time my family has ever considered mainstream brands is their top models loaded to the max, this is now forever dead to us and others who buy the same way.
Old 08-03-23, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have a Sequoia since I couldn't afford an LC at the time, now I wouldn't consider the LC at all due to the down-market move. The only time my family has ever considered mainstream brands is their top models loaded to the max, this is now forever dead to us and others who buy the same way.
You are unusual though, and you're also not a new vehicle consumer. They will sell every one of these LCs they make...since they will sell every one of them they make what have they lost? Nothing. People who never would have bought one anyway decides what they never would have bought is "dead to them". Result is 0 lost sale.

Personally, I think thats pretty shallow...
Old 08-03-23, 04:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You are unusual though, and you're also not a new vehicle consumer. They will sell every one of these LCs they make...since they will sell every one of them they make what have they lost? Nothing. People who never would have bought one anyway decides what they never would have bought is "dead to them". Result is 0 lost sale.

Personally, I think thats pretty shallow...
I bought 4 vehicles new until I realized I was wasting money......I used to be a new vehicle buyer so I DO know what some people want. My whole family used to buy 4 new vehicles every 3 years so I was quite used to buying new etc and it's why I first I did so and we only ever considered top of the line cars with every possible option mainly to ensure high trade in and having the best around. Now I have changed to just buying what I actually want to own since there is no longer a limit to what I can sensibly afford to own and instead of having to limit myself to only new cars with warranties that won't fall off a cliff value wise in 3 years I can buy cars I would never have dreamed of owning and have zero care. Overall cost is less and I have a far better driving experience

You are free to think it's shallow but I was a new car buyer at first so I do know more than you seem to insist I don't.
Old 08-03-23, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bought 4 vehicles new until I realized I was wasting money......I used to be a new vehicle buyer so I DO know what some people want. My whole family used to buy 4 new vehicles every 3 years so I was quite used to buying new etc and it's why I first I did so and we only ever considered top of the line cars with every possible option mainly to ensure high trade in and having the best around. Now I have changed to just buying what I actually want to own since there is no longer a limit to what I can sensibly afford to own and instead of having to limit myself to only new cars with warranties that won't fall off a cliff value wise in 3 years I can buy cars I would never have dreamed of owning and have zero care. Overall cost is less and I have a far better driving experience

You are free to think it's shallow but I was a new car buyer at first so I do know more than you seem to insist I don't.
Not saying you don't know, I'm saying you're not a consumer for the vehicle yourself and saying they lost your business doesn't mean anything when you admittedly would never have bought the vehicle anyways.

If you are someone who cares about prestige or how a vehicle fits into its manufacturer's lineup, the vehicle isn't for you. This is a great enthusiast vehicle, and is way more in line with what the LC always was. It was not a luxury vehicle, and if you want this vehicle in a higher end package you have the GX.

You and your family may have "only considered top line vehicles" well, every vehicle can't be a "top line vehicle" and I don't see the buyers this LC will appeal to caring at all that it isn't.
Old 08-03-23, 06:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

So you didn't buy LC before and you will not buy it now.

You buy only full loaded top vehicles and then you bought Sequoia.

I find that funny.
Old 08-03-23, 06:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Not saying you don't know, I'm saying you're not a consumer for the vehicle yourself and saying they lost your business doesn't mean anything when you admittedly would never have bought the vehicle anyways.

If you are someone who cares about prestige or how a vehicle fits into its manufacturer's lineup, the vehicle isn't for you. This is a great enthusiast vehicle, and is way more in line with what the LC always was. It was not a luxury vehicle, and if you want this vehicle in a higher end package you have the GX.

You and your family may have "only considered top line vehicles" well, every vehicle can't be a "top line vehicle" and I don't see the buyers this LC will appeal to caring at all that it isn't.
I was going to buy an LC to replace the Sequoia this go around but the LX600 scared me off and this just sealed it. Now I am going somewhere like GM instead when it is time to replace it but I guess that's because they are leading this time around unlike back in 2012
Old 08-03-23, 06:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I will add this looks amazing and a win for Toyota.

I don't think it is particulary great for Europe due to engine choice but otherwise everything looks amazing.

At this price level and features, they will kill it.
Old 08-03-23, 07:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
So you didn't buy LC before and you will not buy it now.

You buy only full loaded top vehicles and then you bought Sequoia.

I find that funny.
I bought a maxed out Sequoia since the LC was too expensive as I literally said, I wanted the LC though and now yet another product Toyota made that was desirable isn't. If I can't afford a maxed out LC I would and did rather have a maxed out Sequoia since I think it's better to have all the features possible on a given model than a mid trim version of the next one up. That or buy total base for lowest cost.

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions