Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I was going to buy an LC to replace the Sequoia this go around but the LX600 scared me off and this just sealed it. Now I am going somewhere like GM instead when it is time to replace it but I guess that's because they are leading this time around unlike back in 2012
You were going to waste all that money on a new vehicle this time? I thought you didn’t buy new cars.

Im not sure how GM is leading in this segment, they don’t have anything in this segment.
Old 08-03-23, 08:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Just watched some YouTube videos. I love the basic model with cloth seats and manual adjustment. This Toyota is gonna be so popular
Old 08-03-23, 08:58 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

to me this is a product win but a naming fail

but toyota knows that basically only 0.0001% of us americans have ever heard of the prado and don't realize the scheme toyota is pulling here... like my friend who texted me this morning saying how much he loves the looks of the 'new land cruiser' lol
Old 08-03-23, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's a fairly informative video.

Old 08-04-23, 12:10 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
to me this is a product win but a naming fail

but toyota knows that basically only 0.0001% of us americans have ever heard of the prado and don't realize the scheme toyota is pulling here... like my friend who texted me this morning saying how much he loves the looks of the 'new land cruiser' lol
exactly. This should have been called the FJ.
Old 08-04-23, 02:27 AM
Lead Lap

Received 789 Likes on 536 Posts

No hybrid for other markets - Australia and NZ:

In Australia, the all-new Prado will be offered with the 1GD-FTV 2.8-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine enhanced with 48-volt technology to help improve fuel consumption in urban settings.

Producing 150kW of power and 500Nm of torque, the 1GD engine drives all four wheels via a new Direct Shift-8AT eight-speed automatic transmission which replaces the existing six-speed unit.”
Old 08-04-23, 05:11 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

China did it better. Looks a lot roomier and more comfortable inside than Toyotas “new and improved?” Land Cruiser. Price is better too.

Old 08-04-23, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdes395
China did it better. Looks a lot roomier and more comfortable inside than Toyotas “new and improved?” Land Cruiser. Price is better too.

https://youtu.be/UBLMngcNFvQ
But nowhere near as attractive to a lifestyle enthusiast which is the point of this Land Cruiser.

I will direct you to what a Land Cruiser is:

The 70 series LC is STILL made and sold in world markets, this is what it looks like:

What does this new Land Cruiser look like? This is a return to Land Cruiser roots. Making a vehicle like that bloated Chinese thing makes no sense when they have other similar vehicles in their lineup already. This competes with Broncos and the like. Toyota makes many versions of the Land Cruiser all over the world, don't be so stuck in your American from the last 20 years mindset.

I don't underdstand why you want the Land Cruiser to be some Toyota version of a Nissan Armada nobody wants?!
Old 08-04-23, 06:51 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But nowhere near as attractive to a lifestyle enthusiast which is the point of this Land Cruiser.

The 70 series LC is STILL made and sold in world markets, this is what it looks like:

What does this new Land Cruiser look like? This is a return to Land Cruiser roots. Making a vehicle like that bloated Chinese thing makes no sense when they have other similar vehicles in their lineup already. This competes with Broncos and the like. Toyota makes many versions of the Land Cruiser all over the world, don't be so stuck in your American from the last 20 years mindset.

I don't underdstand why you want the Land Cruiser to be some Toyota version of a Nissan Armada nobody wants?!
the land cruiser pics u show show it’s progression. Over the years it has IMPROVED: gotten better, nicer, more capable, more luxurious. To erase those attributes and to become more utilitarian, basic and spartan is a downgrade from the precedence that has been set by its own evolution. If I was a current land cruiser owner the last thing I would be interested in in the new land cruiser is a downgrade. This new land cruiser has an interior that looks cheap and stodgy. The front exterior looks frumpy and unattractive especially with those circle headlights. This new vehicle is a better FJ but a worse Land Cruiser.

Last edited by Tdes395; 08-04-23 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 07:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think Toyota cares and quite frankly if that's the case I agree with their stance. This is a much more lucrative business model that has struck a chord with a much wider consumer base. The relatively low amount of pissed off previous-gen Land Cruiser owners can pack up or buy a GX550 or LX600. Those consumers constitute a small amount in terms of volume and net profit.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-04-23 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

New US Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser. It’s the new 250 series. They just don’t call it a Prado anymore. The styling cues are more like the 90s J70 model

I don’t get all the crying.
Old 08-04-23, 08:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't think Toyota cares and quite frankly if that's the case I agree with their stance. This is a much more lucrative business model that has struck a chord with a much wider consumer base. The relatively low amount of pissed off previous-gen Land Cruiser owners can pack up or buy a GX550 or LX600. Those consumers constitute a small amount in terms of volume and net profit.
^^ This.

Car and Driver said it well:

Like a lot of elements on the new Land Cruiser, the return to a simpler and less costly approach has a lot of appeal. It certainly has brought the price back down to earth, and that's no bad thing. And who can argue with a Land Cruiser that's bound to get decent fuel economy? As for the inevitable outrage of the purists, no more than 4000 of them laid their money on the table each year over that last decade or so. How much collective upset can there be? It's pretty clear the demand for a bloated and expensive Land Cruiser barely existed. This new direction is bound to get more of them in the hands of those that always wanted one, and we're looking forward to seeing brand new examples out on the trails.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...iser-revealed/

Old 08-04-23, 08:15 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

The all new Mercedes S class. Hey, at least it should sell more . l

Attached Thumbnails 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions-image-3-for-motors-film-money-06-02-11-gallery-852141523.jpg  

Last edited by Tdes395; 08-04-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 08:18 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^ This.

Car and Driver said it well:
i did sales at a toyota dealer from 2016-2018, i can promise you there was definitely demand for the land cruiser but anyone who could actually afford one was like well at this point i'll just get the LX since it's "a lexus"

toyota also seemed to do everything they could to make sure that anyone who was seriously considering leasing one was put off by the numbers asap lol... there were NEVER programs and for what it cost to lease one it just really didn't make sense, especially considering what else you could get for the same money
Old 08-04-23, 08:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdes395
The all new Mercedes S class. At least it should sell well. l

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...gal-108826.amp

​​​​​​​Well you seem to be handling this change well. Have you tried writing a sternly worded letter to Toyota?

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions