Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23 | 11:58 AM
cp44
Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Raise your hand if you're never selling your 200!!!

But I do like this and see exactly what Toyota is doing.
Yeah definitely not selling my 200.
Old 08-04-23 | 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've sampled both later-model American-market Land Cruisers and the Lexus LX.....IMO there is little difference between the two except for a little more wood trim in the LX and its trick raise/lower feature for the suspension-height.

And, yes, despite the plebian Toyota nameplate, an recent American-spec Land Cruiser was DEFINITELY a luxury-vehicle.

And it shows in the pricing...both of them cost an arm and a leg.
Exactly, there’s no reason to have a LC that serves the same buyer as the LX.

Originally Posted by JDR76
They have a gorgeous, used Heritage Edition Land Cruiser here, so they tried to get him to look at that. "I think I'll just wait." Then they tried to get him to look at a 4Runner. "If I wanted a 4Runner, I'd already have one."

He ended up leaving his name and phone number and they agreed to call him when they were able to accept deposits.
Haha that’s funny. Classic dealer.

But year this is going to be a huge hit.
Old 08-04-23 | 01:24 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

when i first joined this forum back in '05 i had a '93 80-series land cruiser. i sold it in '06 and it's the one car i still think about all the time--this new model reminds me a lot of that car and what i love about it. i don't think i'll be getting it soon but i might be in the market for one after some updates through its lifecycle.
Old 08-04-23 | 02:24 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Right, nobody in the US bought the previous Land Cruiser which is why they stopped selling it here. Why would they offer the same type of vehicle here again and expect different results?

Youre right, they won’t be the same buyers…those buyers can buy the LX. They will sell WAY more of these than they ever sold the previous LC in the US.
this just proves my point. It is a DIFFERENT vehicle in status. It is not a Land Cruiser in plushness. It’s more of an FJ. Your second paragraph I completely agree with

Last edited by Tdes395; 08-04-23 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-04-23 | 02:28 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whoster
when i first joined this forum back in '05 i had a '93 80-series land cruiser. i sold it in '06 and it's the one car i still think about all the time--this new model reminds me a lot of that car and what i love about it. i don't think i'll be getting it soon but i might be in the market for one after some updates through its lifecycle.
I agree this new model from the side, and the rear reminds me of your 93. I’ve always loved that body style. This new one revives that look in many pleasant ways. But the goofy looking front-end and the shabby utilitarian interior is a big letdown.
Old 08-04-23 | 02:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

people wanted the FJ back, this is the next best thing
Old 08-04-23 | 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tdes395
this just proves my point. It is a DIFFERENT vehicle in status. It is not a Land Cruiser in plushness. It’s more of an FJ. Your second paragraph I completely agree with
You're not understanding me. I asked why would Toyota want to offer a vehicle similar to the previous LC when that previous LC never sold well here and they discontinued it due to poor sales? You want them to come out with the same style vehicle they already know US buyers won't buy.

Toyota DOES sell the vehicle you want, its the Lexus LX600. They don't need two.

I agree this new model from the side, and the rear reminds me of your 93. I’ve always loved that body style. This new one revives that look in many pleasant ways. But the goofy looking front-end and the shabby utilitarian interior is a big letdown.
The front end is retro styled to the early Land Cruisers.

As for the interior this is the interior of a 1993 Land Cruiser:

This is the new Land Cruiser. Do ya see what they're going for?!

Old 08-04-23 | 04:24 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

(Duplicate post please delete)
Old 08-04-23 | 04:25 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

You're not understanding me. I asked why would Toyota want to offer a vehicle similar to the previous LC when that previous LC never sold well here and they discontinued it due to poor sales? You want them to come out with the same style vehicle they already know US buyers won't buy.

Toyota DOES sell the vehicle you want, its the Lexus LX600. They don't need two.

That makes sense when compared to the 93’. On that front, i see your point. The new one is nicer (except for the ugly front end)

The problem is when it’s compared to the 21’.
The new one is a step back in terms of plushness. And again the front is just ugly)

Ironically toyota only expects to sell 5000 of these. I suspect more will be from FJ buyers than from Land Cruiser buyers. Fj buyers will be excited. Previous generation land cruiser buyers will be disappointed. I’m curious to see if LX 600 sales will increase as a result.

Old 08-04-23 | 04:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

They'd better send a lot of them here, is all I have to say. Lol.
Old 08-04-23 | 04:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I’m curious to see if LX 600 sales will increase as a result.
If that happens Toyota will be thrilled.
Old 08-04-23 | 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I also see the 90s Prado. This really is the new Prado

power telescoping steering wheel. I love it. The cloth model base is amazing. With a leather wrapped steering wheel

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-04-23 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-04-23 | 10:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You were going to waste all that money on a new vehicle this time? I thought you didn’t buy new cars.

Im not sure how GM is leading in this segment, they don’t have anything in this segment.
I don't anymore but I always like having one car I've owned since new. GM has the Escalade etc...
Old 08-04-23 | 11:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

the land cruiser pics u show show it’s progression. Over the years it has IMPROVED: gotten better, nicer, more capable, more luxurious. To erase those attributes and to become more utilitarian, basic and spartan is a downgrade from the precedence that has been set by its own evolution. If I was a current land cruiser owner the last thing I would be interested in in the new land cruiser is a downgrade. This new land cruiser has an interior that looks cheap and stodgy. The front exterior looks frumpy and unattractive especially with those circle headlights. This new vehicle is a better FJ but a worse Land Cruiser.
Exactly. It's a downgrade and regression. Should have called it the FJ and I would be praising the hell out of it
Old 08-04-23 | 11:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The all new Mercedes S class. Hey, at least it should sell more . l
Haha! Exactly but you should have used the EQS instead for accuracy

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions