Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 11:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I also see the 90s Prado. This really is the new Prado

power telescoping steering wheel. I love it. The cloth model base is amazing. With a leather wrapped steering wheel
Looks good to me.

I like it.

Originally Posted by Striker223
...Should have called it the FJ and I would be praising the hell out of it
That's really what it is IMO. Lol
Old 08-05-23, 05:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Another epic fail by Toyota. As expected.....just a rebrand of an existing product, once again ruining a great nameplate like the Supra before it. EDIT: I just can't get over this inane move, they moved their former flagship SUV nameplate down-market? Just why? At least just call it the FJ again or anything other than LC since that was supposed to imply it's the top SUV minus the LX with that just being the nice version.
Mostly because the LC was an LX and now it's firmly below the GX. Waste of the nameplate
just why? because the prior LC sold like death and was basically unknown by 99%+ of the public.

also, continuing to have it be "LX lite" meant it would be too expensive.

methinks thou doth protest too much.

Originally Posted by Tdes395
Toyota is just making one mistake after another. This’s thing is a Land Cruiser in name only. It’s as if the original Land Cruiser were to became a broke, cheap, homeless drug addict by comparison.
just a bit of an exaggeration, lol. companies can and do reposition models. ford called their pseudo-ev-suv a mustang. they repackaged an escape as bronco sport. tons more examples out there.

Okay then, I just know it takes a lot to move a nameplate up market and it's VERY easy to have one fall. I would never want an LC now that it's no longer the top and before it was my first choice
the prior LC did not sell. it was too expensive and people just bought an lx instead. they repositioned this lc more to its roots. seems like a very smart move and while it may no longer be what you want, i predict it will do well in the market. certainly it couldn't do worse than the prior lc!

Originally Posted by AJT123
4 cylinder hybrid only? Massive fail. Zero interest.

I'm not really a fan but I see what they're doing and appreciate it, and it will sell I think. Just, why can't it share at least the V6tt with the GX. Detune it, I don't care. Just not a 4 cylinder hybrid.

They'd better send a lot of them here, is all I have to say. Lol.
ok then.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody bought Land Cruisers in this country anyways. This vehicle will sell tons more than the previous LC ever did, not everybody is thinking about where a vehicle ranks in a manufacturers lineup, in fact very few people are, especially when its a mainstream manufacturer.
exactly.

I bought a maxed out Sequoia since the LC was too expensive as I literally said, I wanted the LC though
you voted with your wallet and is PRECISELY why toyota changed the lc. so you complain and complain yet you didn't buy the old one either. lol

Originally Posted by Stroock639
to me this is a product win but a naming fail
i disagree. first, for most people land cruiser doesn't mean much. second, land cruiser probably relates in most people's minds to land rover, and maybe jeep, and those are good connotations.

but toyota knows that basically only 0.0001% of us americans have ever heard of the prado and don't realize the scheme toyota is pulling here... like my friend who texted me this morning saying how much he loves the looks of the 'new land cruiser' lol
exactly!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
New US Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser. It’s the new 250 series. They just don’t call it a Prado anymore. The styling cues are more like the 90s J70 model
I don’t get all the crying.
yeah... some people need a hug.

Originally Posted by Tdes395
the problem is design. The front end and the interior primarily. Toyota didn’t even try to look plush or luxurious. Back seat looks cramped. All easy fixes that
should have been corrected at stage 1.
it's a utilitarian real off-road capable suv. it's not about luxury.
Old 08-05-23, 05:38 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

With the cheaper pricing compared to the last model sold in the US, this should sell well.

As stated 99% of US consumers don’t know what a Landcruiser is anyway. This just adds another capable SUV to the lineup at a much more reasonable price point.

For laughs go over to the Mud forum and see the back and forth going on. Very funny. Get your popcorn ready 🍿
Old 08-05-23, 06:51 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
For laughs go over to the Mud forum and see the back and forth going on. Very funny. Get your popcorn ready 🍿
Best mud trucks are light as a feather and lifted with big mud tires and 4x4.

Like the 1980's Toyota pickup that pulled me out of the mud when I buried mine almost up to the doors.

I was driving a heavy full size 4x4 Bronco with 36" Super Swamper mud tires and still got stuck. Lol
Old 08-05-23, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I don't anymore but I always like having one car I've owned since new. GM has the Escalade etc...
The Escalade does not compete with the Bronco or the Wrangler lol. This Land Cruiser is in a different segment today. GM has nothing in that segment since they chose to make the Blazer a crossover (OMG I sound like Mmarshall lol)

And the Escalade has no off-road capabilities, it doesn’t even really compete with the previous version of the Land Cruiser. It’s a on road luxury SUV, which is why it outsold the previous LC so solidly because it was much better at being that.

What you all miss is the old LC was a failure in the US, so of course in bringing the LC nameplate back to the US they aren’t going to do the same thing again. Since it would fail again.

Why does the LC have to “be an LX” when they have the LX?!

Im not sure why this is so hard to accept.
Old 08-05-23, 08:45 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 702 Likes on 440 Posts

The Escalade does not compete with the Bronco or the Wrangler lol. This Land Cruiser is in a different segment today. GM has nothing in that segment since they chose to make the Blazer a crossover (OMG I sound like Mmarshall lol)

And the Escalade has no off-road capabilities, it doesn’t even really compete with the previous version of the Land Cruiser. It’s a on road luxury SUV, which is why it outsold the previous LC so solidly because it was much better at being that.

What you all miss is the old LC was a failure in the US, so of course in bringing the LC nameplate back to the US they aren’t going to do the same thing again. Since it would fail again.

Im not sure why this is so hard to accept.
spot on. The prior Land Cruiser had a great brand and image, but that didn’t translate to sales in the US as customers simply weren’t willing to pay Lexus money for a Toyota. This new one leverages the strong Land Cruiser brand, is broadly in the same “rugged” market segment, but is more affordable and will sell better. Toyota is doing the right thing.
Old 08-05-23, 09:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I’ll have to go check my history, but I think those who are upset that this is not named FJ are forgetting that the FJ and Land Cruiser names were long tied together.

Wasn’t FJ the model code for the Land Cruiser? FJ40 and such?

When Toyota came out with the FJ Cruiser, they took the name FJ from the Land Cruiser’s history. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t get the angst over the name.
Old 08-05-23, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

What you all miss is the old LC was a failure in the US,
well not all

so of course in bringing the LC nameplate back to the US they aren’t going to do the same thing again. Since it would fail again.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to accept.
because some don't like change period and others don't like change that doesn't fit into their goals like buying a used LC in the future which doesn't benefit toyota in the slightest.
Old 08-05-23, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I’ll have to go check my history, but I think those who are upset that this is not named FJ are forgetting that the FJ and Land Cruiser names were long tied together.

Wasn’t FJ the model code for the Land Cruiser? FJ40 and such?

When Toyota came out with the FJ Cruiser, they took the name FJ from the Land Cruiser’s history. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

All Land Cruisers are a J. None are really FJ. This new Land Cruiser is not a replacement for a 200, this new Land Cruiser is a new Land Cruiser J250 and it is introduced in the US as a new model in new segment the Land Cruiser J300 is just not sold in the US anymore. This Land Cruiser is no longer marketed as a Prado, Toyota markets it as a Land Cruiser 250

same with me

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-05-23 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 09:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

They were all J Series, correct, but there were variations (FJ, BJ, HJ). Wasn’t the FJ55 a part of the same line?
Old 08-05-23, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
They were all J Series, correct, but there were variations (FJ, BJ, HJ). Wasn’t the FJ55 a part of the same line?
I agree there variations. But I dunno if they really mean much. There was a FJ80, FZJ80, FHJ80 and a FDJ80 No really 100% sure but I think they are like region codes. Someone really needs to look it all up. I just think everyone is overthinking the naming of this new Land Cruise which is a J250
Old 08-05-23, 10:13 AM
2023GXLC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They still call it a Prado in some countries
Anyway, I guess this finally fixed the issue with the ''LX'' based LC being too expensive in the US.
we never had this issue in the Middle East because we can still get ''LX'' based LC300 for almost as cheap as the ''GX'' based US LC. We have many different trim levels.

Old 08-05-23, 10:14 AM
2023GXLC
Driver

here is the Land Cruiser family tree

source

https://toyota.jp/info/landcruiserbr...logy-chart.pdf
Old 08-05-23, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2023GXLC
They still call it a Prado in some countries
Anyway, I guess this finally fixed the issue with the ''LX'' based LC being too expensive in the US.
we never had this issue in the Middle East because we can still get ''LX'' based LC300 for almost as cheap as the ''GX'' based US LC.

Oh thank you. I didn’t know that they did still call it a Prado.
Old 08-05-23, 10:25 AM
2023GXLC
Driver

One thing they can do in future to switch over any US 200 owners who don't want o get a 250 Prado/LC is possibly introduce an overtrail trim LX 600, it would be expensive but it would attract those who never had an issue with previous LC price and would be a nice off road flagship of Lexus sitting above the GX 550 as well as becoming kind of like an off road halo product for Toyota/Lexus in the US market.

They would also sell a lot of them in the Middle East so offering it for the select few who want in the US wouldn't be an issue, even if they end up selling little.

They already offer a triple locked version of the LX 600 in Japan anyway so the base for such a trim level is already available.

Last edited by 2023GXLC; 08-05-23 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser August 1 Debut - Predictions/Reactions