Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I generally do buy American, more so than most but quite frankly with certain products other nations are simply ahead/specialized into it enough that if I want the best I buy foreign.

Watches, cars, magnified optics, kitchen knives, and some other stuff I don't buy American but the vast majority of stuff I buy is. It also is very nice since lifetime warranties are normal and I can talk to the person who made my item in most cases.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you don't buy much in the way of new vehicles, period...American or otherwise. From what I have seen, most of the vehicles you have written about (and worked on) in your posts seem to be older, used models.
Old 09-20-23, 12:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you don't buy much in the way of new vehicles, period...American or otherwise. From what I have seen, most of the vehicles you have written about (and worked on) in your posts seem to be older, used models.
I bought 3 dodge trucks new, the last one was so bad I abandoned the concept of buying new cars. The last one had so many issues I took a step back and asked myself what was I REALLY paying for and if it was worth it or not, I then decided to drift my way toward what I have now with the logic of if I am going to have to work on it anyway might as well get something amazing instead of mediocre.

I did however buy 27k worth of US made guns, a 4kl reloading setup, and 2k in holsters this year so I did my part for American workers.

Last edited by Striker223; 09-20-23 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 01:27 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

I don't know how I feel about this strike.

We all try to negotiate the best compensation for our labor and services but push too far and the customer will look elsewhere.

The customer in this case is the car manufacturer.
Old 09-20-23, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Issue is legacy automakers are stuck with the UAW so they have no choice but to move manufacturing overseas. That’s why outside of Tesla, who is also not bound to the UAW, all the major auto companies who manufacture the most cars in the US are foreign. Thanks UAW!
Old 09-20-23, 06:11 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I don't know how I feel about this strike.

We all try to negotiate the best compensation for our labor and services but push too far and the customer will look elsewhere.

The customer in this case is the car manufacturer.

Good chance they do that anyway. Why? Because people want cheaper products. I saw the same mentality decimate the once proud southern textile industry.

We are coming to a very bad place.

People want the impossible. They want themselves and others to have a flexible, high paying job here in America. They want the products and services they buy to be high quality and last a long time, but be low in price. And they want companies to make a lot of profit so their 401ks grow for retirement.

Something has to give. That give usually starts at the bottom.
Old 09-20-23, 06:22 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

What few polls have been done on the issue show that around 75% of the American public is backing the UAW, although some of those polls are a few weeks old, before the strike actually started.
Not quite 75%, but way more than I would have thought.

https://pro.morningconsult.com/insta...port-americans
Old 09-20-23, 07:11 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

While management cries poverty....
"Auto Giants Refusing Union Demands Paid Just 1% in Federal Taxes on $42 Billion in Profits: Analysis"

https://www.commondreams.org/news/corporate-tax-dodgers

Old 09-20-23, 07:37 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I support the strike but not the original demands of the UAW. That's just theater so it doesn't bother me. A healthy middle class should exist and a signficant pay bump is in order. If they can manage a ~23% increase and stick to the 40 hour work week that will be a big win imo. What's more contentious from my view is the elimination of the two tier system they have going. I don't have a real opinion on that yet.
Old 09-20-23, 07:52 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I support the strike but not the original demands of the UAW. That's just theater so it doesn't bother me. A healthy middle class should exist and a signficant pay bump is in order. If they can manage a ~23% increase and stick to the 40 hour work week that will be a big win imo. What's more contentious from my view is the elimination of the two tier system they have going. I don't have a real opinion on that yet.
I personally believe two-tier pay structures are horrible and abusive, in every industry. They're a an institutionalization of permanently lower wages going forward, and as such, a long-term shafting of younger workers today and tomorrow. They violate basic fairness in not paying workers side-by-side the same pay to do the same job. And they're a cynical strategy by management to divide the workforce by giving the older, higher-paid workers an economic incentive to let their younger colleagues get less.
Old 09-20-23, 08:16 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
While management cries poverty....
"Auto Giants Refusing Union Demands Paid Just 1% in Federal Taxes on $42 Billion in Profits: Analysis"

https://www.commondreams.org/news/corporate-tax-dodgers

That because as net operating loss carryforward. When the auto industry was "saved" last time in 2009, the new GM was allowed to keep all the tax credits for losses from the old GM. So, instead of saying they "bailed out" GM, they just killed the old company, created a new one, and somehow allowed the new company to keep $14 billion in tax credits going forward for the new 20 years. That was special for GM and the UAW. Other companies hadn't been allowed to do that.
Old 09-20-23, 08:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

What few polls have been done on the issue show that around 75% of the American public is backing the UAW,
Why didn't you cite sources? And your claim isn't true.
I support the strike but not the original demands of the UAW. That's just theater so it doesn't bother me. A healthy middle class should exist and a signficant pay bump is in order.
Middle class will end up paying more for vehicles.
Old 09-20-23, 09:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why didn't you cite sources? And your claim isn't true.

Middle class will end up paying more for vehicles.
So they end up going used. Better that than less money to save for retirement and support their families.
Old 09-20-23, 09:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

So they end up going used.
Which means less revenue for companies that employ UAW workers.
Better that than less money to save for retirement and support their families.
You just said people will buy used, less sales of new vehicles. Less revenue. There is no magic money pot although the UAW seems to think so.
Old 09-20-23, 09:41 AM
VTHokie79
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I generally do buy American, more so than most but quite frankly with certain products other nations are simply ahead/specialized into it enough that if I want the best I buy foreign.

Watches, cars, magnified optics, kitchen knives, and some other stuff I don't buy American but the vast majority of stuff I buy is. It also is very nice since lifetime warranties are normal and I can talk to the person who made my item in most cases.
Bought 1 American car in the last 20 years, a 2019 Corvette. The rest of my cars are Lexus and Toyota models that were made in Japan, not the US. All 5 made in Japan vehicles have been flawless for service and quality. The Toyota brand is superb!
Old 09-20-23, 09:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Which means less revenue for companies that employ UAW workers.

You just said people will buy used, less sales of new vehicles. Less revenue. There is no magic money pot although the UAW seems to think so.
You're making a lot of assumptions here though. Yes there's no free money pot, but we don't know if a 23% raise is going to dent the revenues/profit margins so severely that the automaker will have no choice but to either significantly increase MSRP or cut total employee count. I'm willing to bet that the an increase in pay over the span of 3 years or so isn't going to cut these manufacturers too deep, especially if they keep the 2 tier system.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?