Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 10:02 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is no magic money pot although the UAW seems to think so.
There is no magic money pot, correct, but there is/was a significant pot of margin and free cashflow that on a perfectly reasonable analysis has been used inequitably, and often in the direct/indirect pursuit of matters tied to executive compensation. Stock buybacks and dividends are prime examples, both directly drive stock price, and stock grants plus stock price targets are, generally speaking, the most significant components of executive compensation and bonus plans.

Originally Posted by VTHokie79
Bought 1 American car in the last 20 years, a 2019 Corvette. The rest of my cars are Lexus and Toyota models that were made in Japan, not the US. All 5 made in Japan vehicles have been flawless for service and quality. The Toyota brand is superb!
Notably then, as it relates to the subject of this thread, all made by labor that belongs to a union.
Old 09-20-23, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You're making a lot of assumptions here though.
People buying used instead of new means less revenue this is not an assumption.
Yes there's no free money pot, but we don't know if a 23% raise is going to dent the revenues/profit margins so severely that the automaker will have no choice but to either significantly increase MSRP or cut total employee count. I'm willing to bet that the an increase in pay over the span of 3 years or so isn't going to cut these manufacturers too deep, especially if they keep the 2 tier system.
I'm willing to bet that if the UAW gets what they want Ford and GM will have no choice but to raise prices. Especially since workers will be getting paid to work 40 hours but work 32. Companies that don't have knee capping labour agreements will be able to squeeze the life out of GM and Ford.
Old 09-20-23, 10:12 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

People buying used instead of new means less revenue this is not an assumption.

I'm willing to bet that if the UAW gets what they want Ford and GM will have no choice but to raise prices. Especially since workers will be getting paid to work 40 hours but work 32. Companies that don't have knee capping labour agreements will be able to squeeze the life out of GM and Ford.
I said you're making a lot of assumptions, not everything you've said was an assumption. The UAW's opening ask was a 32 hour workweek and 46% raise. This is basic negotiation. They aren't going to get that. That's the theater part of union negotiations. The realistic ask is what we're actually speculating on, and one thing is for sure in my mind is that they deserve at least 20%.
Old 09-20-23, 10:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I said you're making a lot of assumptions, not everything you've said was an assumption.
What are my assumptions?
The UAW's opening ask was a 32 hour workweek and 46% raise. This is basic negotiation. They aren't going to get that. That's the theater part of union negotiations. The realistic ask is what we're actually speculating on, and one thing is for sure in my mind is that they deserve at least 20%.
Will 20% increase bring UAW workers to par with other auto line workers?
Old 09-20-23, 10:34 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 187 Posts

The most egregious thing I've heard is that they want back what they gave up in the bankruptcy in 2008. Well, they should just be thankful they got bailed out by taxpayers and kept the pay and benefits that still exceeded the pay and benefits of some of the taxpayers that bailed them out. Not sure why they think they are better than everyone else to get that type of protection. If most people's company go under, they have to deal with it on their own. No gov handouts to guarantee their livelihoods. Most people don't get pensions anymore. Why do they think they are entitled to these types of benefits? Just greed.

Old 09-20-23, 10:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What are my assumptions?

Will 20% increase bring UAW workers to par with other auto line workers?
Chiefly that the UAW is actually not going to give up on their initial demand (as cited in your post about them being kneecapped) and subsequent bet they will have to raise prices. I've made assumptions as well, but I feel mine are more realistic due to the basic nature of negotiations and the fact that UAW leadership hasn't brought up the 32 hour workweek in recent press engagements.

The 20% increase would bring them right in line with places like the Toyota factory in Kentucky. That's why the Big 3 put it on the table in subsequent offers last week. The UAW rejected it because they want to push for more increases and abolishment of the two tier system. I don't know where I sit on the two tier system just yet so I'm on the fence as to whether they should've just taken the follow up offer.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-20-23 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 11:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....and what the companies often forget is that labor helps feed THEM....and makes those fat executive salaries/perks possible.
You must have never worked with high level executives to make that statement. Anyone that has worked with top executives knows that their day doesnt end at 5pm and often begins well before 9am. They are not paid to screw cars together. They are paid to make business decisions to keep the company afloat and keep workers employed. What you are thinking off are the images portrayed in movies and on TV. They dont sit in their offices and play golf. They are constantly trying to put out fires and how to keep the company moving along.
Old 09-20-23, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why didn't you cite sources? And your claim isn't true.
it isn't????

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...-striking-uaw/

Middle class will end up paying more for vehicles.
Maybe, in some cases, for very high-demand vehicles (Bronco, Maverick, Corvette C8, etc...), but, for the most part, the automakers will not be able to raise prices, even with new UAW contracts....after the crippling inflation of the last few years, most the public simply won't pay higher prices. The will probably keep their older vehicles or buy on the used-car market.

I say "most" of the public, because, of course, there will always be some exceptions.
Old 09-20-23, 11:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

I don't agree. Even if the vehicle is not built in the U.S., either you support unionized labor or you don't. And, unlike China, South Korea is one of our allies. It is no different from you getting an S-Class built in Germany....with a German union.
And you are sure that American made car doesnt have parts imported from less friendly countries? Where is that Buick that you are so proud of made and you sure it doesnt have parts from China?
Old 09-20-23, 11:19 AM
situman
Pole Position

it isn't????

https://www.thenation.com/article/po...-striking-uaw/

Maybe, in some cases, for very high-demand vehicles (Bronco, Maverick, Corvette C8, etc...), but, for the most part, the automakers will not be able to raise prices, even with new UAW contracts....after the crippling inflation of the last few years, most the public simply won't pay higher prices. The will probably keep their older vehicles or buy on the used-car market.

I say "most" of the public, because, of course, there will always be some exceptions.
Even if the automakers wont increase prices, dealers will. You forget the market adjustments that dealers are charging that is still happening all over the place?
Old 09-20-23, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Even if the automakers wont increase prices, dealers will. You forget the market adjustments that dealers are charging that is still happening all over the place?
Dealers got away with big markups a few years ago. For the most part, except maybe with a few high-demand vehicles today like I indicated above, the public simply won't tolerate it any more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-23 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
And you are sure that American made car doesnt have parts imported from less friendly countries? Where is that Buick that you are so proud of made and you sure it doesnt have parts from China?
Even if parts and sub-assemblies come from China, when you have unionized plants, no matter where those plants are located, the vehicles are assembled with union labor.

That's why we have parts-content lists on new-vehicle price-stickers....so the vehicle buyer has a trail of who built the vehicle and/or where the major-parts came from.

And, to answer your question, Buick Encore GX models for the American market are produced at Bupyeong, South Korea......a Unionized plant. Those for the Chinese market are produced in China. If I had my choice, I would rather see them produced here, in the U.S., at a UAW plant...but, at least, Korean production, with union labor, is clearly preferable to a Chinese sweat-shop. I have no qualms buying a Korean-made vehicle....and my brother has bought four of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-23 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-20-23, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Although not many details have been released, Ford narrowly averted a UNIFOR strike in Canada last night....and having to deal with strikes on both sides of the border.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/20/ford-avoids-canadian-auto-strike-with-unifor-union-deal.html

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2023/09/19/unifor-negotiations-with-ford-continue-past-contract-expiration/70899105007/
Old 09-20-23, 11:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

No. Read the links you post.
The 67% of Americans who approve of labor unions today is down slightly from 71% a year ago but marks the fifth straight year this reading has exceeded its long-term average of 62%.

Automaker profits will fall due to lack of sales, workers will be paid more. Perfect outcome.
Old 09-20-23, 12:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Even if parts and sub-assemblies come from China, when you have unionized plants, no matter where those plants are located, the vehicles are assembled with union labor.

That's why we have parts-content lists on new-vehicle price-stickers....so the vehicle buyer has a trail of who built the vehicle and/or where the major-parts came from.

And, to answer your question, Buick Encore GX models for the American market are produced at Bupyeong, South Korea......a Unionized plant. Those for the Chinese market are produced in China. If I had my choice, I would rather see them produced here, in the U.S., at a UAW plant...but, at least, Korean production, with union labor, is clearly preferable to a Chinese sweat-shop. I have no qualms buying a Korean-made vehicle....and my brother has bought four of them.
So it doesnt matter that the individual parts are made in countries with sweat shop labors as long as they are screwed together by unionized labor...gotcha.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?