Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 12:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Huge expansion of the strike just announced......from 3 plants to 38 different GM and Stellantis plants. They are giving Ford a break right now, and not targeting any more Ford plants, because Ford has shown more willingness to negotiate than the others.

https://apnews.com/article/uaw-ford-...5af480d6fafa98
Just a note - the expanded strike is hitting parts distribution centers, not plants. It will still seriously affect operations but its worth calling out.
Old 09-22-23, 12:00 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Not necessarily, but who makes most of that wealth possible for the auto companies? Robots or no robots, vehicles don't assemble themselves,
Well this is like which came first, the chicken or the egg? Wealth is not possible without profits. Profits is not possible when your expenses exceed your revenue. Revenue is not possible without buyers. Buyers is not possible without products. Products are not possible without the producers and the company producing them. So how you do want to organize all that mess into something coherent?
Old 09-22-23, 12:07 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

You're putting the cart before the horse. Companies can't sell things to the public if workers don't produce them. Any way you look at it, workers are the backbone of the American economy.
Well the workers wont be needed without the company. So how does one want to play this game? They have to meet in the middle somewhere. Both sides trying to win is a loser's game.
Old 09-22-23, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Guess Stellantis won’t be getting my $70,000 if I can’t get a Jeep. No big deal I will buy something else built by nonunion US labor or foreign labor. Way to go UAW lol
Old 09-22-23, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Guess Stellantis won’t be getting my $70,000 if I can’t get a Jeep. No big deal I will buy something else built by nonunion US labor or foreign labor. Way to go UAW lol
Well, each to his own, and you obviously have a right to spend money as you see fit. And, though I often support unions, I would not necessarily rule out non-union American labor. I had a 2006 Subaru Outback that was built in Lafayette, IN, which was American non-union......but a non-union plant in China or Third World Country would be a definite No-No for me.....which means no Buick Envision, even though I like the Buick nameplate.

As for a new Jeep, when does your lease run out on the Pacifica? The strike (may)? be over by then.
And if you think 70K is a lot of money for a Jeep, Grand Wagneers can run 100K and up.
Old 09-24-23, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Well, each to his own, and you obviously have a right to spend money as you see fit. And, though I often support unions, I would not necessarily rule out non-union American labor. I had a 2006 Subaru Outback that was built in Lafayette, IN, which was American non-union......but a non-union plant in China or Third World Country would be a definite No-No for me.....which means no Buick Envision, even though I like the Buick nameplate.
those goalposts have moved more than shakira's hips.

And if you think 70K is a lot of money for a Jeep, Grand Wagneers can run 100K and up.
of course he knows this.
Old 09-24-23, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I think I clearly know what vehicles cost lol.

Lease is up in January but it’s out of warranty, I would like to have it replaced within the next 2 weeks.
Old 09-24-23, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those goalposts have moved more than shakira's hips.
Nope.....that's complete B.S...and I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

Old 09-24-23, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s pretty clear to all of us how the goalposts have been moved…
Old 09-24-23, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sad news.....my friend called me last night and said he and his wife had to cancel his order for a new 2024 Ranger Raptor (see the applicable thread)...as they need a new truck soon, and there's no telling how long the delays will be for shipments from the Wayne, MI plant (the only Ford plant so far being actively struck by the UAW). He and his wife are now considering a GMC Canyon...but that plant (Wentzville, MO) has also been hit by the strike...the first GM plant to be hit.

Even though it is complicating his plans for a new truck, although he doesn't stand behind the workers quite as much as I do, he basically understands why the strike is being carried out, and sympathizes with them.
Old 09-24-23, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It’s pretty clear to all of us how the goalposts have been moved…

LOL. The only place the goalposts have been moved is to the storage-shed.

Anyhow, moving on, probably goes without saying, but the strike may be costing some domestic truck sales....not only my friend and his wife with the RangerRaptor order-cancellation, but a neighbor of mine came home with a new Toyota Tacoma a couple of days ago...Jet Black.
Old 09-24-23, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of carmakers with workers who want to work happy to build him a truck.
Old 09-24-23, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of carmakers with workers who want to work happy to build him a truck.
No doubt....like I said, my neighbors just picked up a new Tacoma. I'm not a big fan of the Tacoma, for several reasons....but it has always sold very well.

Actually, my friend said his old 2001 Explorer Sport-Trac is still mechanically sound in the drivetrain, but the underbody rust is now too severe to feasibly repair. It is becoming a safety-issue....OTW, he wouldn't even be in the market. He said they were going to try and find a new Canyon already in stock that fits their needs...they may be going to PA as soon as the weather clears up to look at one advertised at a decent price.

Frankly, my own opinion is that GMC products look a lot better than their Chevy cousins, particularly in the front end. You pay a little more for them than a Chevy, but IMO is worth it.

They looked at a new Hyundai Santa Cruz but his wife felt it was too small.

I asked him why they had wanted a Raptor in the first place, as they don't need that kind of super-tough Rubicon-Trail underpinnings for the type of driving they mostly do. He said it was because of the power. The N/A four used in most American-market Rangers simply wasn't enough (they wanted a V6)..and the only alternative was the Raptor's twin-turbo V6...which is quite a powerplant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-23 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-24-23, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Sad news.....my friend called me last night and said he and his wife had to cancel his order for a new 2024 Ranger Raptor (see the applicable thread)...as they need a new truck soon, and there's no telling how long the delays will be for shipments from the Wayne, MI plant (the only Ford plant so far being actively struck by the UAW). He and his wife are now considering a GMC Canyon...but that plant (Wentzville, MO) has also been hit by the strike...the first GM plant to be hit.

Even though it is complicating his plans for a new truck, although he doesn't stand behind the workers quite as much as I do, he basically understands why the strike is being carried out, and sympathizes with them.
why doesn't he get a nice tacoma?
Old 09-24-23, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why doesn't he get a nice tacoma?
He likes Ford trucks.....had excellent luck with that 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

The Tacoma has a durable drivetrain, and will run a long time,....but the interior is ultra-cheap, and the trim/hardware is not very impressive.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?