Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23 | 10:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi mmarshall, do you think the strike demands are reasonable?

I'm not sure if they are or aren't but just wondering what you think of the progress of where this is going.

Thanks for the question. I support most of the strike demands.....not necessarily all of them. I'm firmly behind good wages, job security, and, most importantly, pensions (IMO, pensions are the most critical thing of all). But I'm not sure I support the demand for a 4-day work week....some people find excuses to take too much time off of work as it is, and it makes out harder for those who are left on the job. They have to work harder and/or more hours to fill in for the slackers.

We also need laws and contracts, IMO, to keep UAW jobs from being exported, but that may be getting into the realm of politics too much...I won't go into that too deeply.
Old 10-16-23 | 10:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Set your clock, Lex. We're talking about conditions today, not 15 years ago when GM and Chrysler were in such deep trouble.
What conditions are those? Let me guess GM is rolling in money but refuses to share out of sheer greed. Fight the good fight eat the rich guy you're only costing GM $25 million per day and Ford $50 million, no worries those companies have unlimited funds.

How can you support a person that trouts out a slogan that is a call for violence. That is not negotiating that's putting a gun to the head of Ford and GM, he's trying to hurt these companies as much as possible.
Old 10-17-23 | 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

uaw loves to talk about huge profits the car makers have, but i looked at ford which had a 5% margin in the last year if i read it right. still a lot of money but profit isn't just there to be handed put to employees, it's for reinvestment too, to make the company stronger.

uaw wants to grab now, to hell with the future.
Old 10-17-23 | 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What conditions are those? Let me guess GM is rolling in money but refuses to share out of sheer greed.
While that is a stereotype and exaggeration, there is indeed a fair amount of truth in it.

How can you support a person that trouts out a slogan that is a call for violence. That is not negotiating that's putting a gun to the head of Ford and GM, he's trying to hurt these companies as much as possible.

I'm not necessarily supporting Sean Fein or the rest of the UAW's high-management.....in fact, there is evidence that they are corrupt, and some have faced Federal charges. It is the rank-and-file workers I'm behind....they are the ones struggling to pay their bills.
Old 10-17-23 | 12:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Ford and GM are not to blame for people struggling to make ends meet it is very disingenuous to suggest this. Cost of living is spiraling out of control and you want GM and Ford to pick up the tab, makes no sense.

Yes there is "evidence" UAW is corrupt. Racketeering, embezzlement, and tax evasion.
A corruption probe by the Justice Department against UAW and 3 Fiat Chrysler executives was conducted during 2020 regarding several charges such as racketeering, embezzlement, and tax evasion.[47][48][49] It resulted in convictions of 12 union officials and 3 Fiat Chrysler executives, including two former Union Presidents, UAW paying back over $15 million in improper chargebacks to worker training centers, payment of $1.5 million to the IRS to settle tax issues, commitment to independent oversight for six years, and a referendum that reformed the election mode for leadership.[50][51][52] The "One Member One Vote" referendum vote in 2022 determined that UAW members could directly elect the members of the UAW International Executive Board (IEB), the highest ruling body of the UAW.[53]
Old 10-17-23 | 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford and GM are not to blame for people struggling to make ends meet it is very disingenuous to suggest this. Cost of living is spiraling out of control and you want GM and Ford to pick up the tab, makes no sense.
It's not all that disingenuous. The spiraling cost of new and used vehicles is partly to blame for that inflation-spiral, although I'll agree that dealers are just as much, if not more, at fault than manufacturers. And when you have a situation where a typical CEO like Mary Barra makes some 300+ times the average salary of assembly-line workers, IMHO it's time for a re-adjust. Sure, she has a job with a lot of responsibility (that's a given), but so does the guy on the line who has to check and make sure that critical parts of a vehicle are attached securely, so that they don't fall off at 70 MPH, kill people, and bring a lawsuit against the company.
Old 10-17-23 | 02:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It's not all that disingenuous. The spiraling cost of new and used vehicles is partly to blame for that inflation-spiral, although I'll agree that dealers are just as much, if not more, at fault than manufacturers. And when you have a situation where a typical CEO like Mary Barra makes some 300+ times the average salary of assembly-line workers, IMHO it's time for a re-adjust.
If Barra gave up 100% of her yearly compensation each GM employee would get $149 extra. How much less should she make? Be specific.
Sure, she has a job with a lot of responsibility (that's a given), but so does the guy on the line who has to check and make sure that critical parts of a vehicle are attached securely, so that they don't fall off at 70 MPH, kill people, and bring a lawsuit against the company.
Are you saying companies that pay their workers less per hour have less safe cars? That's a bold claim, prove it.
Old 10-17-23 | 03:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It really hasn't ever bothered me that these higher up execs make a ton of money. I work for a large company. Our execs are in the news, they get grilled by congress, they take the blame for the bad times, and get ousted, very publicly, when their time is up. You couldn't pay me enough to do that. I figure it's a career path I could have went down had I felt any interest in doing so.
Old 10-17-23 | 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If Barra gave up 100% of her yearly compensation each GM employee would get $149 extra. How much less should she make? Be specific.
Are you saying companies that pay their workers less per hour have less safe cars? That's a bold claim, prove it.
Please read what I posted. I did not say to take it directly out of Mary's salary. What I was doing is comparing her salary to that of the average worker....and how, in the last several decades, that comparison has hugely skyrocketed.

Here is an article that explains it in better detail........

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-in-2020/
Old 10-17-23 | 04:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Please read what I posted. I did not say to take it directly out of Mary's salary. What I was doing is comparing her salary to that of the average worker....and how, in the last several decades, that comparison has hugely skyrocketed.

Here is an article that explains it in better detail........

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-in-2020/
I carefully read what you posted
And when you have a situation where a typical CEO like Mary Barra makes some 300+ times the average salary of assembly-line workers, IMHO it's time for a re-adjust.
Readjust doesn't mean about CEO pay? What does it mean then? I'll ask again, what should Barra get paid.
Old 10-17-23 | 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I carefully read what you posted
Did you read the link to the article I posted?

I'll ask again, what should Barra get paid.
Given the way she has run GM lately, I'm still pondering that question LOL.
Old 10-17-23 | 04:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Did you read the link to the article I posted?
Did you? Article is over 9,000 words you read the entire thing? From the article:
Why it matters: Exorbitant CEO pay is a major contributor to rising inequality that we could safely do away with.
This is blatantly false. I already showed you if Barra was paid zero and every dollar went to workers instead the increase in pay would be nearly irrelevant.
Given the way she has run GM lately, I'm still pondering that question LOL.
Her compensation package is about the last thing GM needs to worry about.
Old 10-17-23 | 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

IMO she's all but ruined Buick's American market by making everything electric by 2030....not everyone has regular access to rechargers. That's why I may be looking at another new gas-powered Encore GX while they are still available. The newer gas-powered Envista is very interesting, but simply lacks some of the equipment I want....and, as I understand it, it will be Buick's last new gas vehicle.

Anyhow, back to the UAW strike. Buick is not as affected by it as some other GM divisions, because only the big Enclave is built here in the U.S....the others are built in China (non-union) or in Korea, with union-labor. Encore GXs for the American market are at least built in Korea, with a Union.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-17-23 | 08:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Did you? Article is over 9,000 words you read the entire thing? From the article:

This is blatantly false. I already showed you if Barra was paid zero and every dollar went to workers instead the increase in pay would be nearly irrelevant.

Exactly. The number seems huge but in reality it's nothing, not even enough to run the company for a full day.
Old 10-17-23 | 09:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I think some also missed the point of the Strike was pay raise increase.

Barra got a 34% increase over 4 years. They are only offering 20% to the other employees. They also had to Strike to even get to 20% I think. I would bet that if the numbers were the other way around and the point was brought up, that GM would be pointing out the difference in their favor instead.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?