Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23 | 10:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, It's nice that they are getting the 25% spread out over a period of time, but, IMO, the real issue is pensions. I always was, and always will be, a firm believer in them. Converting from pensions to simple (and usually inadequate) IRAs really screwed a lot of workers up.
You are right that pensions are superior to 401k's and IRA's, but pensions are not coming back.
Old 10-26-23 | 02:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You have not thought any of this through.

What real numbers? X% increase in Barra's compensation package is ≠ to X% increase for 164,000 employees. For some reason you completely missed the context, the argument was if Barra can make X dollars and get X increase then every single employee can get the same increase because GM can afford it. You can't possibly think this is a solid point, well I guess you do since the article you posted says the same nonsense.

lol, this is what passes for journalism. If Barra made ZERO DOLLARS and the money went straight to workers they would get another $150/year. This proposed increase will cost GM at least $3 billion/year. Explain how that compares in any way to $30 million dollars. And I guess I have to spell it out, this is Barra's compensation package.
This was a major spin you said above you did to redirect the simple. If you don't understand cost vs profit margin here it is again.

What Barra really means is this: Her compensation as CEO is tied to General Motors’ profit margins. This means that Barra’s exorbitant salary is also a function of how low she can keep autoworkers’ wages. Barra’s salary has increased 34 percent over the last four years, while in four years workers’ pay has only increased by 6 percent.
Old 10-26-23 | 02:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thank you, and yes, but if anything there seems lately to be greater sympathy for unions and labor than for corporations. so they will kill the sacred cows and the country will likely go bankrupt in the coming decades.
but can't get into politics here.

hopefully the strikes end soon and these companies can remain in business somehow.
Sympathy, Bankrupt? Did we not Bail them out with Tax Dollars? That's some real sympathy for producing crap cars as a result.

We gave them like $18 Billion to save 1.5 million jobs. Estimates were we never got $11 Billion back.
Old 10-26-23 | 02:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
Barra’s salary has increased 34 percent over the last four years, while in four years workers’ pay has only increased by 6 percent.
What will cost more. Barra getting a 34% increase or all workers getting a 34% increase.
Old 10-26-23 | 02:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What will cost more. Barra getting a 34% increase or all workers getting a 34% increase.
irrelevant.

Barra's pay increased. Company's profits increased. Cost of living increased. Car prices increased. Workers pay?

Old 10-26-23 | 02:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

irrelevant.

Barra's pay increased. Company's profits increased. Cost of living increased. Car prices increased. Workers pay?
Unbelievable.
Old 10-26-23 | 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sympathy, Bankrupt? Did we not Bail them out with Tax Dollars? That's some real sympathy for producing crap cars as a result.
i assume you're talking about 2008. gm, ford, chrysler fell under the 'too big to fail' mantra (too many jobs at stake), and chrysler and gm chose to go through a govt assisted bankruptcy to jettison bond obligations (bond holders got stiffed, which includes other pension plans) and restructure. ford chose to not go through bankruptcy having secured a lot of long term low interest debt before 2008. and you're wrong about a bail out because chrysler and gm paid back the loans to the govt with interest quite quickly as i recall.

not sure which cars you're referring to as crap, after all ford has the highest selling vehicle of all time (f150).

We gave them like $18 Billion to save 1.5 million jobs. Estimates were we never got $11 Billion back.
not what i read, but your source?

anyway, i'm not a fan of govt bailouts either.
Old 10-27-23 | 04:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

jgscott, you've hit the nail on the head for at least one of the reasons for the strike.....Executive pay vs. that of the rank-and-file workers. The gap is simply absurd....and growing.
Old 10-27-23 | 12:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Every GM employee should get $30 million/year anything else is blatant inequality. And don't come to me with concerns about cost, irrelevant.
Old 10-27-23 | 12:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i assume you're talking about 2008. gm, ford, chrysler fell under the 'too big to fail' mantra (too many jobs at stake), and chrysler and gm chose to go through a govt assisted bankruptcy to jettison bond obligations (bond holders got stiffed, which includes other pension plans) and restructure. ford chose to not go through bankruptcy having secured a lot of long term low interest debt before 2008. and you're wrong about a bail out because chrysler and gm paid back the loans to the govt with interest quite quickly as i recall.

not sure which cars you're referring to as crap, after all ford has the highest selling vehicle of all time (f150).

not what i read, but your source?

anyway, i'm not a fan of govt bailouts either.
Many different site to google. Estimates were from $9 billion not payed back to $14 Billion not paid back.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...sler/21061251/

Ford is currently at the bottom in repair and other.

J.D. Power and Associates U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

Old 10-27-23 | 01:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

jgscott, you've hit the nail on the head for at least one of the reasons for the strike.....Executive pay vs. that of the rank-and-file workers. The gap is simply absurd....and growing.
I worked for 2 company's. One worth $65 Billion the other worth $110 Billion. The same statement was inside both company's with the Employees.

The statement was - NO ONE single worker employee is worth a $25 Million to $40 Million dollar salary..... Unless they founded and developed the Company themselves.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-27-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-27-23 | 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I worked for 2 company's. One worth $65 Billion the other worth $110 Billion. The same statement was inside both company's with the Employees.

The statement was - NO ONE single worker employee is worth a $25 Billion to $40 Billion dollar salary..... Unless they founded and developed the Company themselves.
What CEO gets a $40 billion dollar salary?
Old 10-27-23 | 02:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The statement was - NO ONE single worker employee is worth a $25 Billion to $40 Billion dollar salary..... Unless they founded and developed the Company themselves.
Even if the company can't function without them?

Like it or not some people are able to do things others simply can't, most don't seem to have an issue with that regarding actors etc but just lose their minds when it's other industries lol!
Old 10-27-23 | 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not only that, but Mary Barra (and other auto executives) works in a plush office-complex, with all the comforts one could think of....or is being interviewed and answering questions in front of cameras. The rank and file workers in the plants spend long shifts (sometimes overtime) doing difficult work that sometimes puts their health at risk or can cause injury.
Old 10-27-23 | 03:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If people don't want to be an assembly line worker they can start your own business and take on all the financial risk and personal toll associated with it. But I get the union perspective management is rich, greedy and evil give me some of that money. And I want to work less and not work as hard to get it.

Still waiting to find out what CEO makes $40 billion/year.
Not only that, but Mary Barra (and other auto executives) works in a plush office-complex, with all the comforts one could think of....or is being interviewed and answering questions in front of cameras. The rank and file workers in the plants spend long shifts (sometimes overtime) doing difficult work that sometimes puts their health at risk or can cause injury.
You hate a certain CEO that takes zero salary and put every last penny into his companies. You literally said he doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Pretty sure you simply hate all CEOs and business owners in general or at least you act like it.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?