Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

coming big uaw strike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 04:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many of the current problems with new vehicles are due to having too much new-tech, not a lack of it. The money spent on unnecessary tech features could go to employees instead.
You're talking about bells and whistles I'm talking about technology like better batteries, large castings, better crash worthiness, accident avoidance tech etc.
I'm not saying that all of the current tech-features in vehicles are unnecessary, but it has become excessive, and we have clearly gone from producing driving-machines to producing Spock and Captain-Kirk machines.
You're advocating for simplification, minimalism, this I agree with.
Yes, that's part of it, but they didn't start to make crap-products until after they started to screw the employees. The products got even worse (particularly at Chrysler) when disgruntled employees, in reprisal, started to deliberately screw up the assembly lines. Customers and technicians were finding coke cans, drug-use products, cigarette butts, nuts/bolts and all kind of crap dumped down inside of door-panels which would cause rattles, things not welded, screws not tightened, etc.....

Toyota also treated their workers a lot better...they were considered more or less part of the corporate family, not just hired servants.
It works both ways. UAW treats their employer like a cash register not a partner.
Old 09-16-23, 04:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Maybe I'm too cynical but to me is this about the UAW realizing they are becoming obsolete as the industry moved to EVs so they are trying to squeeze the drying up lemon while they can.
yes i agree and wrote similar earlier here.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with inexorable move to electric vehicles, greater automation of production, fewer parts, and competition, there will be less auto jobs. the uaw wants to somehow protect themselves but they can't win. even if they win a short term battle with a strike, they will lose in the long run as the 'big detroit 3' simply move production elsewhere or die on the vine through not being competitive..
uaw has been out of touch with reality forever since the gravy train was clearly going off the tracks decades ago.
of course they're fighting for all they can grab now and don't really care if ford/gm/stellantis go out of business, probably figuring there will be another bail out to buy votes.
What caught up with them is making crap products. Toyota showed up with far better quality and reliability the rest is history.
bad products didn't help, but it wasn't that simple. gm et al were also literally trapped in union contracts where they had to pay billions for decades to thousands of workers to do NOTHING. that and giant pension obligations they couldn't afford but agreed to years before to keep the factories going. one gm ceo literally said their survival depended on how fast gm retirees die off.
Old 09-16-23, 04:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

bad products didn't help, but it wasn't that simple. gm et al were also literally trapped in union contracts where they had to pay billions for decades to thousands of workers to do NOTHING. that and giant pension obligations they couldn't afford but agreed to years before to keep the factories going. one gm ceo literally said their survival depended on how fast gm retirees die off.
They did it themselves by never saying no. I think it will happen again.

This is probably not a popular opinion but American cars from the glory days are terrible. Build quality is generally poor, reliability isn't great, they guzzle gas, leak oil. Panel gaps were on another level, giant shims everywhere. We have a rose coloured glasses view because the classics on the road now have been restored and most of the issues fixed.
Old 09-16-23, 05:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

They did it themselves by never saying no. I think it will happen again.

This is probably not a popular opinion but American cars from the glory days are terrible. Build quality is generally poor, reliability isn't great, they guzzle gas, leak oil. Panel gaps were on another level, giant shims everywhere. We have a rose coloured glasses view because the classics on the road now have been restored and most of the issues fixed.
Survivorship bias.

Plus yeah, the ones still around are NOTHING like what the cars were actually built when new. They are existing to a standard that is insanely better than factory new due to the amount of care and effort the owners put in.

No one seems to look at the fact that the newer cars (1995-now) somehow can and do easily hit 200k miles with poor ownership. They aren't regarded the same as those old junk boxes because they don't look as cool and aren't from the peak days of the US despite the fact that they are better cars

Old 09-16-23, 05:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Simple math. All else equal, the fewer employees a corporation has ,and the more jobs automation takes away, the more they can afford to give each remaining employee..
We live in a capitalist country. Also, if you owned stock in a company, would you want them to make more money, or pay their employees more than necessary? If employees feel underpaid, they should find a new line of work. These things work themselves out.

First, you have to remember that although companies can't increase taxes, they can, and do, increase prices.....we have seen that in spades the last few years in many industries, although, with vehicles, more at the dealer level than the manufacturer level. Second, like I said earlier, look at history......The Big Three were at their best, and making their best profits (1950s/60s) when they WERE paying high wages and good pensions, and when the UAW was at its strongest. It was an unmistakable pattern......the cheaper and more Scrooge-Like the companies got over time, and the more they took away from their employees, and the more jobs they farmed out overseas, the more market-share they lost, and the worse things got for them. Like it or not, Karma caught up with them.
Yes, they can price themselves right out of business. Back in the day you're referencing, there were way more paying into their pension than taking out. Everything was rosy back then. Plus, no competition from Japan, Korea, etc... Unions once had a place in the auto industry. Now, they're just getting in the way. It's time to move on, or get run over by the competition.

Old 09-17-23, 05:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

It doesn't all come out of executive-salaries. For one thing, as workers retire, more and more technology and auto action is replacing their assembly-line jobs. Much of the money saved by automation could be used for pensions.
That's not really an answer, so let me reverse the question. In your opinion, what do you believe is an appropriate total labor expense (including all benefits) for one hour of assembly line worker?

For reference, my total labor cost (including benefits) works out to about $80/hr for a software developer with 25+ years of experience who is more or less solely responsible for designing and building an application that is ranked by the organization as MORE important than the ones that actually contribute to our revenue. The UAW says it should cost nearly twice as much to employ someone who assembles cars designed by someone else, using parts that are provided to them. I obviously don't agree.

So what is "the right amount"?
Old 09-17-23, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
That's not really an answer, so let me reverse the question. In your opinion, what do you believe is an appropriate total labor expense (including all benefits) for one hour of assembly line worker?

So what is "the right amount"?
Thus is not meant to be evasive to your question, but It's hard to give any one set figure. I have always felt, and still do today, that wages should reflect the average cost of living for whatever area the plant or factory is located in. Obviously, it costs a LOT more to live (or retire) in the New York City area or Coastal California than in the Midwest or South. Wages should be negotiated and set, IMO, for the conditions of working at each plant.

Old 09-17-23, 07:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Thus is not meant to be evasive to your question, but It's hard to give any one set figure. I have always felt, and still do today, that wages should reflect the average cost of living for whatever area the plant or factory is located in. Obviously, it costs a LOT more to live (or retire) in the New York City area or Coastal California than in the Midwest or South. Wages should be negotiated and set, IMO, for the conditions of working at each plant.
Luckily for our discussion, most of the plants in question are in the Midwest, and none are in NYC or SoCal. So that should make it easier to come to a figure. So if we go with Michigan, where a decent number of these plants are located, where should we land?

If an employee chooses to retire to a HCOL area after spending their entire career in a LCOL area, I'd argue that's none of the former employer's concern.
Old 09-17-23, 07:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Does the UAW have a location based pay system? I didn't think so.

Do you think someone in MI with 10 years experience doing basic assembly work, is worth more that $33/hr and have a company sponsored pension? How about a barista's salary at the neighboring Starbucks? What do you think they're worth? Their average pay is less than $15/hr with no pension. I'm guessing you're ok with that.
Old 09-17-23, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Does the UAW have a location based pay system? I didn't think so.
Not that I know of, but I don't know all of the pay details.

Do you think someone in MI with 10 years experience doing basic assembly work, is worth more that $33/hr and have a company sponsored pension? How about a barista's salary at the neighboring Starbucks? What do you think they're worth? Their average pay is less than $15/hr with no pension. I'm guessing you're ok with that.
In a word, IMO, I think that anyone who gives 30 or 40 years of their lives to an organization, from a janitor al the way up to a CEO, deserves a reasonable pension. In the military (and other uniformed services such as police and fire) you can get one after only 20 years. My own pension, BTW, after 33 years in my career, was about two-thirds of my salary....and that doesn't count my own private retirement nest egg from my own investments.
Old 09-17-23, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the strike.....Stellantis offerred 21% pay hike over 4 years....the union is still holding out for 40%

While I'm not sure the whole 40% is feasible, I still think they have a point.....Stellantis's CEO got a 40% hike in the last four years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-strike-offer/
Old 09-17-23, 05:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

In a word, IMO, I think that anyone who gives 30 or 40 years of their lives to an organization, from a janitor al the way up to a CEO, deserves a reasonable pension. In the military (and other uniformed services such as police and fire) you can get one after only 20 years. My own pension, BTW, after 33 years in my career, was about two-thirds of my salary... ...
That's only sustainable in a government environment, aka - taxpayer funded. No way can a business survive with that level of nonproductive "payroll".
Old 09-17-23, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

In a word, IMO, I think that anyone who gives 30 or 40 years of their lives to an organization, from a janitor al the way up to a CEO, deserves a reasonable pension. In the military (and other uniformed services such as police and fire) you can get one after only 20 years. My own pension, BTW, after 33 years in my career, was about two-thirds of my salary....and that doesn't count my own private retirement nest egg from my own investments.
Someone can fact check me but I think this is right, military personal get paid about the same as GM workers do currently.
Old 09-17-23, 06:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

one of the most effective political con jobs over the last 50 years has been the steady and effective effort to convince the American middle class to vote and take positions against their own best interests but beneficial to the interests of those significantly wealthier than them.

quality generally-available healthcare that isn’t tied to your job and doesn’t bankrupt people: bad.

free or affordable four-year degrees or quality vocational training: bad

tax burdens that disproportionally fall on lower and more middle income families: good

Caps on social security taxes that massively benefit the wealthy at the expense on lower and more middle income families: good.

And so on. It’s clearly working, as you can see from many posts in this very thread. Most people are an unexpected pink slip on a Friday away from being royally screwed as soon as the following Monday, yet they’ve let themselves be manipulated to think it will never happen to them and that it’s ok that it happens to others.

remember, folks, that rising tides float all boats. It doesn’t need to be a zero sum game. Others don’t all need to lose for us all - individually and collectively- to win.

Old 09-17-23, 06:09 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

unions always want to share in the profits, but that also means sharing in the losses.

Quick Reply: coming big uaw strike?