Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts about Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 12:06 PM
AristoTDOT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS400kid
if the Legacy B4 come with 6 speeds, i will take the B4 over the STi anytime
ditto
Old 08-16-04, 12:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Keep in mind, though, considering the fact that most people buy Subarus for the AWD foul-weather capacity, the turbo Subarus, and especially the WRX and STi, have wide, low-profile tires and a lower-than-usual stance that will offset some of the beneficial effects of the AWD on slippery roads. To get the best performance from the Turbo Subarus on slippery roads might mean having to mount winter rubber from November-March in some parts of the country. Also keep inmind that those sporty low body claddings and air dams also mean less clearance going through deep snow.
Old 08-16-04, 01:17 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Keep in mind, though, considering the fact that most people buy Subarus for the AWD foul-weather capacity, the turbo Subarus, and especially the WRX and STi, have wide, low-profile tires and a lower-than-usual stance that will offset some of the beneficial effects of the AWD on slippery roads. To get the best performance from the Turbo Subarus on slippery roads might mean having to mount winter rubber from November-March in some parts of the country. Also keep inmind that those sporty low body claddings and air dams also mean less clearance going through deep snow.
I heard that Subaru sells really well in the NorthEast, for the snowy climates. People here in Sunny CA buy WRX and STi for the turbo performance and the traction of AWD. I agree that winter tires would probably be most useful in those areas, but here in CA it snows every 73 years or something for the most part and good FR sportscars are just too rare these days.
Old 08-16-04, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
I heard that Subaru sells really well in the NorthEast, for the snowy climates. People here in Sunny CA buy WRX and STi for the turbo performance and the traction of AWD. I agree that winter tires would probably be most useful in those areas, but here in CA it snows every 73 years or something for the most part and good FR sportscars are just too rare these days.
Even in CA you can get some real snow at higher elevations in the north and in the Sierra Nevada...and some very heavy rains when Pacific storms move in. I agree, though...in L.A. or San Diego I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the white stuff.
My brother has a non-turbo Impreza and he just LOVES it in the rain, much less snow.
Old 08-16-04, 03:29 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The Leg is avaliable with a 6-speed to go along with the H6 3.0 in some markets!!

Old 08-16-04, 04:17 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i didn't really like subaru that much until i started the wrx started to grow on me. when the legacy outback came out, i thought it was a nice car with a good looking interior but other than that, i didn't pay much attention to subaru. the wrx is the only subaru i like and i think of the car as more of a wrx than a subaru. if i had the money, i'd get a blue wrx sti with the gold rims it's a little pricey but it has a quality feel to it, more so than the evo imo.
Old 08-16-04, 05:01 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

if the interior looks like that for the american version, that'll be cool.
Old 08-16-04, 09:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Even in CA you can get some real snow at higher elevations in the north and in the Sierra Nevada...and some very heavy rains when Pacific storms move in. I agree, though...in L.A. or San Diego I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the white stuff.
My brother has a non-turbo Impreza and he just LOVES it in the rain, much less snow.
I was amazed at how stable my brother's WRX was in a heavy rain situation. We were going close to 80mph in the carpool lane (with occasional puddles on the inside), and even when we run over those puddles at ~80mph the car felt completely stable and glued to the ground. Everyone else was going 50mph (I would've too in my GS), and I was simple astounded.
Old 08-16-04, 10:13 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Ain't the Legacy Blitzen B4 with 330 HP is coming out?

I would take Legacy GT Limited over STi anytime even though it ain't as fast as the STi. But.........Legacy is assemble here in the U.S. though
Old 08-17-04, 04:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
I was amazed at how stable my brother's WRX was in a heavy rain situation. We were going close to 80mph in the carpool lane (with occasional puddles on the inside), and even when we run over those puddles at ~80mph the car felt completely stable and glued to the ground. Everyone else was going 50mph (I would've too in my GS), and I was simple astounded.
Interesting...and like many high-performance cars, the WRX comes with wide, low-profile, summer-compound tires that are maximized for dry grip, not wet. It would probably be even better in the rain with a tire like the Goodyear Aquatread.
Old 08-17-04, 04:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Generally...all other things being equal.....a lower, wider tire will tend to hydroplane more quickly than a higher, narrower one. The wideness of the tread spreads the car's weight out over more tire contact area, thereby lessening the amount of down force in any one spot keeping the wet tire in contact with the road.
Old 08-17-04, 07:16 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I like Subarus, the WRX is played out in Australia though =\ I love the look of the new Liberty (Legacy), my favourite mid-sized car right now (besides the Mazda 6).
Old 08-17-04, 02:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting...and like many high-performance cars, the WRX comes with wide, low-profile, summer-compound tires that are maximized for dry grip, not wet. It would probably be even better in the rain with a tire like the Goodyear Aquatread.
my brother has Work Emotion wheels and better tires (I don't know how much better than stock but definitely better)
Old 08-19-04, 01:16 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

wow, tha'ts simply amazing!!

how's the warranty on those trubo wrx's?
Old 08-19-04, 02:59 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by talgrl626
wow, tha'ts simply amazing!!

how's the warranty on those trubo wrx's?
The powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60000 miles, which is really great. If you're asking about reliability, it's very good. These are not the crappy high-maintanence turbos of years past.

I don't know about the WRX, but my Forester is designed so that the turbo keeps cooling even after the car is shut off, which helps prolong life.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts about Subaru