Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts about Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 09:59 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice looking cars. I have really liked all of the Subaru Legacy Outback wagons- even the 90s models. Even the old models are super cars. Back in the late 1980s, my aunt had a 1982 Subaru DL hatchback. Being a young girl in her early 20s at the time- she knew nothing about cars (Still dont - lol). While driving on the freeway, her oil warning lamp illuminated and she kept driving . She drove about 35 miles, with this light glowing. Engine was hammering. She made it home and told my uncle (her boyfriend at the time, because they were not married then) and he checked the car. What had happened is that the oil pump had went out and she drove the car that far with NO oil pressure. What a great little car. Needless to say- it went to the salvage lot after that.

Also, back in the very early 1990s- we had a neighbor that had a 1974 Subaru sedan as a work car- yep, a 1974 FWD sedan. He would often have a little too much to drink, go outside literally rev the engine past redline- (I would say at least 8000 RPMs and hold it there. I had never heard a engine race that fast before and what kept that little car from throwing a rod- I have no clue. I just know it had to have a bulletproof engine to take that abuse and keep running.

BTW- do you remember the old Subaru commercial? It went "ew, new Subaru- its got the brains and the beauty too". I do not think I remember it, but my dad said he remembers it very well. Must have been back in the 1970s, but I was very young. Sounds amusing.

Last edited by Shaffer; 08-19-04 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
The powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60000 miles, which is really great. If you're asking about reliability, it's very good. These are not the crappy high-maintanence turbos of years past.

:

The only possible fly in the ointment with Subaru engines is a somewhat higher-than-average failure rate on the 2.5L head gaskets....turbo and non-turbo. When the displacement on this engine was increased from 2.2L to 2.5L, the extra HP put a little more stress on the gaskets. The failure rate has gotten much lower in the last couple of years, and Subaru now uses a special coolant additive that helps the problem even more.
Other than that, Subaru engines are pretty much bulletproof...they often go 200,000 miles just like Toyota / Lexus.
Old 08-20-04, 09:13 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than that, Subaru engines are pretty much bulletproof...they often go 200,000 miles just like Toyota / Lexus.

sounds promising.. i remember when the wrx first came out last year(?) or a lil earlier, we couldn't find a dealership close enuf to us... but of coz, we are spoiled by the so cali car scene where there's a honda, nissian, and toyota here and there.
Old 08-20-04, 10:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmarshall
The only possible fly in the ointment with Subaru engines is a somewhat higher-than-average failure rate on the 2.5L head gaskets....turbo and non-turbo. When the displacement on this engine was increased from 2.2L to 2.5L, the extra HP put a little more stress on the gaskets. The failure rate has gotten much lower in the last couple of years, and Subaru now uses a special coolant additive that helps the problem even more.
Ever since Version II of the EJ25 came out years ago, head gasket failures have been a non-issue. The engines are rock-solid all the way around.