Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your thoughts about Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 07:35 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts about Subaru

I assume everyone knows the WRX and STI, and now the new Legacy/Outback (pictures below).
1. Who do you think Subaru competes with?
2. Would you consider any of their products (Legacy 3.0R 247hp, Impreza STI 300hp...)?

Old 11-06-03, 08:45 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The new Legacy looks pretty cool. We used to own an early 90's Legacy station wagon for some years, and that was a great family vehicle. Never had any problems whatsoever, and pretty good to drive all year long

This new Legacy seems pretty comfy and spacious, I definitely don't mind taking it for a test drive. The navigation system looks very user-friendly
Old 11-06-03, 10:16 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

if the Legacy B4 come with 6 speeds, i will take the B4 over the STi anytime
i know the STi is performance car , so i cant really compare the B4 and the STi, but i would like to have better interior. my 2 cents.....
Old 11-06-03, 10:47 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Legacy looks like a competitor for BMW and Audi.
I'd take the STI.
Old 11-06-03, 03:47 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Subaru has come the farthest in the last ten years than any other carmaker IMO. Back in the day they were cheapo economy cars (justy, loyale, etc) but with the intro of the outback they started climbing towards a place where they were respected and taken seriously. The WRX (huge improvement over the RX of the 80's ) really caught a lot of people's attention. True subies have been proven rally cars for a long time overseas but in America they were ridiculed (remember the dual windowed SVX of the early 90's ?) I absolutely love the new look of the legacy and the 04 WRX front end. Would own a B4 Legacy in the quickness if the opportunity was given to me. Those are MY thoughts on Subaru.

James
Old 11-06-03, 06:11 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Jet864 pretty much summed up my thoughts. I used to call them "Boobaroo", but I have to admit the newer offerings (and a lot of those pictures your posted) are really pretty impressive.

The rally cars still don't do much for me, and the WRX is a fast POS (to me). I also don't know much about the quality of the Subaru dealer network and customer service. For those reasons, I wouldn't currently consider getting one of their vehicles, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.
Old 11-07-03, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Subaru opinions

Subarus work best as reliable, inexpensive all-wheel-drive machines. Base Imprezas, for example, start around 18K or so. Subaru, unlike many other manufacturers, has an ultra-simple All-Wheel-Drive system that derives from the longitudinal placement of the flat-four (and six) engines with the oputput shaft coming straight out the rear of the motor. Many other manufacturers, Lexus included (witness the RX330), have a sideways-mounted engine that makes it more complex, with more bevel gears needed. Subarus also have a reliability record that is almost as good as Lexus, but Lexus obviously beats them out in things like refinement, quietnes, road noise, etc.....
Close a door on a Subaru, however, and you will get a heavy, solid feel and a reassuring "Thunk"....more so than on any other Japanese nameplate.
Old 11-08-03, 09:44 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our Forester XT just turned 3000 miles. Awsome performance. Excellent build. Safe, predictable handling. Not particularly spacious. Almost as quite up to 70 mph as my LS 400 in cruising mode.

Did I mention awsome performance? Usable acceleration is far better than the WRX which I have driven in the track. The XT pulls very strongly from down low. Addicting - can't get more than 15 mpg because of its throttle response and acceleration in moderate traffic.
Old 08-15-04, 01:50 AM
gsfour
Pole Position

Thumbs up

pretty old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts of the Subaru Legacy GT since I participated in the Car and Driver test drive today.

Overall, the GT was a very nice car to drive. The event included 3 purpose designed courses (handling, perfomance(high speed), and traction. The GT did very nicely in all three. Car and Driver included the BMW 325i and the Volvo S60 to give the test drivers a good feel of the GT's competition.

Handling: The car took the corners in a controlled manner...not much understeer compared to the S60 and with little body roll. Although I can't say that it beats the BMW in this department. But if you stiffen the suspension a little bit more on the GT, it could get close. But I guess you can't change the fact that the BMW is a well balanced car.

Performance: Love the turbo! The GT turbo was much better than the S60 turbo in terms of faster response. Even in the tight track config, the GT gave me a more kick in the *** feel with it's 250 horses. I also liked the BMW on this track as well. It felt lighter on the high speed maneuvers. The S60 was the worst in this area. I didn't feel as sure with this car and was afraid to take it hard into the corners due to the tremendous understeer.

Traction: I liked the GT in this dept as well. Unlike the BMW which didn't let you kick the back out, the GT somehow kept me in control while still having fun. I guess the BMW basically took the throttle out once it detected loss of traction. The track had some sand on the surface to simulate traction loss.

So of the three, I'd probably pick the GT. I like the exterior (wagon too) and love the interior even more. I was pleasantly surprised to see a very slick looking interior. Much better than the BMW. I really don't like the double pull door handles on the BMW. Sure...I guess the owner will get used to it, but passengers will keep complaining "I can't get out". Why did they do this? Anyone?

Plus I've seen some JDM modified GTs and they look awesome. Oh yeah, one more thing, it was the cheapest of the bunch.

Last edited by gsfour; 08-15-04 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-15-04, 10:49 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gsfour
I thought I'd throw in my thoughts of the Subaru Legacy GT since I participated in the Car and Driver test drive today.
Dang didn't know there's such an event this weekend. Sounds like fun.
I just managed to sign up for the last session at 4:30pm today. All the earlier sessions are booked already.
Hopefully I'll still be able to drive most of them. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-15-04, 01:25 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subaru is my 2nd favorite car brand (behind Toyota/Lexus/Scion).
Old 08-15-04, 02:47 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Subaru is my 2nd favorite car brand (behind Toyota/Lexus/Scion).
Me too, I love Subaru I'll say it now and I'll say it again, my next car will most likely be a Subaru.. (although you never know.. )

But Toyota/Lexus is still #1 in my book
Old 08-15-04, 04:31 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I said it before, and I'll say it again...Subaru roxx0rz my boxx0rz with their boxers.

Nothing beats Lexus, though.
Old 08-16-04, 11:30 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the new legacy GT
Old 08-16-04, 12:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i love them but many of my profs have them

Quick Reply: Your thoughts about Subaru