Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where can i get shiny metallic paint for brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 12:03 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i get shiny metallic paint for brake calipers?

Has anyone tried G2 SILVER paint on their calipers yet? I've tried looking for pics of this on someone's car but i haven't had any luck. I don't know if this will look good because g2 is a really thick paint. I've painted my calipers a metallic silver before and they looked great.... Hit the brakes hard a few times and the paint dripped off. Anyone able to help me out here and direct me to a good place to get a paint that's shiny silver and won't melt off? Thanks
Old 11-07-03, 12:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I had it on my front Supra TT brakes originally. Not the best paint job but you can get the idea. I wouldn't call it shiny.

Excerpt from my post with the issues with painting with G2 Silver on why they came out bad...

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I had a pretty bad caliper painting experience last night... I used the silver G2 paint and cut it in half as I didn't have time to take off the back wheels to paint the stock ones.

Just before the second coat of paint, I went out to the garage to stir the paint and WHAM, the bottom fell out of the double plastic cups I'd mixed the paint in (I guess something in the paint activator had eaten through it). Silver paint on my leg, pants, garage floor, etc. The worst part was that I had to rush the second and third coats since paint was drying in a puddle on the garage floor (I was dipping the brush into the puddle to get the paint ). Ended up with a half *** paint job, and you can see the brush strokes. I'll want to re-paint them again.
I did re-paint them, but with G2 black.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-07-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 12:16 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Where can i get shiny metallic paint for brake calipers?

Originally posted by mrshabo
Has anyone tried G2 SILVER paint on their calipers yet? I've tried looking for pics of this on someone's car but i haven't had any luck. I don't know if this will look good because g2 is a really thick paint. I've painted my calipers a metallic silver before and they looked great.... Hit the brakes hard a few times and the paint dripped off. Anyone able to help me out here and direct me to a good place to get a paint that's shiny silver and won't melt off? Thanks
Just get some High Temp Engine Paint. Put about 4 layers of the paint and then another 4 high temp clear coats.

I painted my calipers 4 years ago with "Ford Red" paint from our Pep Boys equivalent.
Now they are Orange LOL
Old 11-07-03, 12:17 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Dave? Have you no wheel locks?
Old 11-07-03, 12:43 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

dave those rotors look pretty small. i thought the tt rotors would look bigger. are those 19's? i haven't put my rotors in yet so i dunno how they would look. are those crossdrilled/slotted brembos? anyone did the g2 silver?
Old 11-07-03, 12:46 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

also dave how do u like the black? i don't know if i want to do black because i want a color that stands out.
Old 11-07-03, 01:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yah, there's a Gorrilla lock on each wheel.

That's the stock Supra TT size rotor, 12.9" I think in my 18's. That picture in particular makes it look small because it's close up / straight on and my wheels are really open. It looks much bigger from any other angle. Still, something like the 14" rotor with the Stoptech would look awesome.

I didn't like the silver not just because of my crappy paint job, but mainly because I thought there were just too many shades of silver going on... wheels, rotors, calipers were all different and I didn't like that.

IMO black is stealthy, classy and discrete, which I like best. Not looking for flash. Don't have a similar picture to the one above with black, here are a couple.

Lots of other threads out there on caliper color if you want other opinions or options with pics...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-07-03 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 02:46 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

anyone else know where to get the high quality paint i'm looking for? i've tried the cheap spray cans and they all melt off. i slow down from high speeds often and the paint can't hold up to the heat. i've already tried. i want a nice shiny silver but not something that looks really thick.
Old 11-07-03, 03:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

They do make a metallic silver (High temp) engine paint, duplicolor I think... sell it at Advance Auto or the like. Several coats along with some hi-temp clearcoat over top. I'd try that.

Old 11-07-03, 04:35 PM
camtrek
Driver

I used Tremclad Heat Resistant paint for the first coat, then Tremclad rust paint x3 on as my final couple of coats. No temperature problems to date, paint is keeping togetehr well, still very shiny.

Old 11-07-03, 04:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

G2 paint is great. No way it's coming off. I had silver on stock calipers. I agree with Dave though, now I have new black calipers with 14" rotors on 19" rims:
Attached Thumbnails Where can i get shiny metallic paint for brake calipers?-11010001-2.jpg