Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: If you had to pick:
Vredestein Hitrac
0%
Bridgestone Turanza
50.00%
other (please say which)
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Tire opinions needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 10:14 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Tire opinions needed please

there seem to be fewer and fewer options available every year for tires in my size for the LS (225/60-16)... the Michelin Premier A/S i'm currently running are no longer available in that size, which i originally went with because the MXV4 was already unavailable in that size

from what I've seen the 2 top contenders are the Vredestein Hitrac and the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack

i'm only interested in grand touring tires with at least an H speed rating... the Vredesteins seem like the genuinely superior option regardless of the extra price for the Bridgestones, and i used to have the Turanza Serenity Plus and liked those but they've been replaced by the Quiettrack to mixed reviews

the Goodyear Eagle RS-A is still an option but those are some terrible (and not cheap) tires from my experience... part of me wants the Turanzas since those are the OEM tires for the LS but everything is pointing toward the Vredesteins being superior

thoughts of the forum? and as always thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 10-23-23, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Vredestein tires are generally not well-known in the U.S. (they are Dutch-designed), but my brother had an aftermarket set of them on his Kia Sportage, and was very pleased with them.. Consumer Reports also had some good things to say. I've generally had good luck with Continental Contipros, if they are available in the size you need.
Old 10-23-23, 10:22 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 240 Posts

Tire Rack lists 21 models of Grand Touring tires with a speed rating of H or V in that size. The highest rated are the Bridgestone Weatherpeak. But all of them except the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A and Hankook Kinergy GT rate extremely well.

Costco also has the Michelin X Tour AS2 in that size.
Old 10-23-23, 10:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
Tire Rack lists 21 models of Grand Touring tires with a speed rating of H or V in that size. The highest rated are the Bridgestone Weatherpeak. But all of them except the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A and Hankook Kinergy GT rate extremely well.

Costco also has the Michelin X Tour AS2 in that size.
i wouldn't get the Weatherpeak, too winter oriented and i like sharp handling feel

the Turanzas have generally positive comments but people say the tread life is shorter than expected, other than that i don't mind coughing up the dough if they're actually worth it lol
Old 10-23-23, 10:49 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Vredestein tires are generally not well-known in the U.S. (they are Dutch-designed), but my brother had an aftermarket set of them on his Kia Sportage, and was very pleased with them.. Consumer Reports also had some good things to say. I've generally had good luck with Continental Contipros, if they are available in the size you need.
yea i've had a tough time finding someone who had a negative experience with vredesteins
Old 10-23-23, 11:01 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the michelin cross climate 2, it's their latest tire that replaces the previous 2 styles that you've mentioned.
Old 10-23-23, 11:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i wouldn't get the Weatherpeak, too winter oriented and i like sharp handling feel

the Turanzas have generally positive comments but people say the tread life is shorter than expected, other than that i don't mind coughing up the dough if they're actually worth it lol
If you exclude tires with the 3PMSF logo, you drop from 21 to 14 total options, and the top rated becomes the BF Goodrich Advantage Control, followed by the Vredestein Hitrac.
Old 10-23-23, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Pirelli P7 A/S 3. Only tire I would consider. I had multiple sets of the older versions on my LSs, they are on my ES. I have the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus 2 on my S Class and just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 for the Pacifica, the old Pacifica had the Scorpion A/S Plus 3. I firmly believe Pirelli makes the softest quietest tires out there right now.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-23-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-23, 11:15 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Pirelli P7 A/S 3. Only tire I would consider. I had multiple sets of the older versions on my LSs, they are on my ES. I have the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus 2 on my S Class and just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 for the Pacifica, the old Pacifica had the Scorpion A/S Plus 3. I firmly believe Pirelli makes the softest quietest tires out there right now.
hmm that's weird tire rack doesn't list any Pirellis in 225/60-16 but on the Pirelli site they have the P4 and P7 cinturato

how's tread life on them? softest usually equates to wears the quickest lol

actually once i updated my details on the Pirelli site they only list the P4 in my size
Old 10-23-23, 11:35 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Neither, I would get a Pirelli as Steve said if quiet is the goal.
Old 10-23-23, 11:41 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pirelli P7 unfortunately isn’t available in this size. I don’t know anything about the Pirelli P4 it’s not listed on Tire racks website.

Both of the Vredestein Hitrac and Turanza quiettrack are good tires. I would probably get the Turanzas as they seem to get slightly better ride and noise ratings than the Hitracs. But the Hitrac posts better numbers on the Test track. The WeatherPeak seems to post almost identical Test track numbers as the the Turanza for what it’s worth. But the Turanzas are probably quieter because of the tread design.
Old 10-23-23, 11:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Neither, I would get a Pirelli as Steve said if quiet is the goal.
i would get the P7 but they don't make them in that size... if i was still running the 245/45-18s from the LS 430 then maybe
Old 10-23-23, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
hmm that's weird tire rack doesn't list any Pirellis in 225/60-16 but on the Pirelli site they have the P4 and P7 cinturato

how's tread life on them? softest usually equates to wears the quickest lol

actually once i updated my details on the Pirelli site they only list the P4 in my size
Tread life is fine, 40-50k miles. Sizing may be an issue. Looking on TireRack it looks like its getting hard to find tires in that size.

These Michelin Defenders are an option:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0&autoModClar=

Yokohamas are also nice riding quiet tires:

These are good too:

Old 10-23-23, 12:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Tread life is fine, 40-50k miles. Sizing may be an issue. Looking on TireRack it looks like its getting hard to find tires in that size.

These Michelin Defenders are an option:

Yokohamas are also nice riding quiet tires:

These are good too:

the assurance is too wintery... for how i drive i don't want something that soft

the yokohamas and michelins are getting closer but still relatively entry level for the kind of performance offered
Old 10-24-23, 09:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I have no idea who makes good tires anymore.

Perellis wore well on my Porsche back in the day but were "just ok" on my RX330.

I've had ok luck with bridgestones but they seem to wear a choppy pattern when on the rears of a car like my RX330.

Quick Reply: Tire opinions needed please