Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2025 Kia Carnival

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 04:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
C'mon, you hate Hyundais.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I just don't see that any more than I see it with other manufacturers. Chrysler hasn't made the Town and Country for 7 years.

What makes the suspension "a joke"? Its a macpherson strut suspension just like in everything else FWD lol. This is not a premium/luxury car, nor is anything they make that isn't a Genesis.
Sorry Pacifica lol! It's all the same to me, Chrysler van is van.....I forget they renamed them all the time.

The parts quality and performance vs peers, very cheap and lazy vs same price alternatives. I dislike that aspect since I mistakenly recommended them to some people and they all had issues. One or two or even three cars is one thing but seeing as many as I do with the same issues consistently leaves me looking at them the same way I view BMW.

Problem is BMW at least gives you something in exchange, Kia doesn't and you are stuck driving a Kia at the end of the day.
Old 11-01-23, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Kia is nothing like a BMW lol, not in design or in maintenance or repair needs or costs. Comparing the two makes no sense. I know many many people with Kia’s and Hyundais, none of which have had problems. It’s steel suspension components and KYB struts in the suspension, same as Toyota.

No way I would buy another gas powered Pacifica over a Carnival, the transmission alone makes that choice for me. Hybrid Pacifica like I have now sure.

But bear in mind that both my gas Pacificas were broken down on tow trucks before 20k miles, both had front suspension replacements before 20k miles, my Kia Sedona never required anything but brakes. A Pacifica on its best day is no more mechanically sound than a Carnival on its worst day. If you want excellent reliability in a minivan you have to get a Sienna. Even an Odyssey is not impressive in that regard.

Agree the Pacifica is a nicer vehicle inside than a Carnival, but the tech and all in the Carnival is much better. Pacifica has no lane centering available etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-01-23 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

C'mon, you hate Hyundais.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I just don't see that any more than I see it with other manufacturers. Chrysler hasn't made the Town and Country for 7 years.

What makes the suspension "a joke"? Its a macpherson strut suspension just like in everything else FWD lol. This is not a premium/luxury car, nor is anything they make that isn't a Genesis.
Actually, the Chrysler nameplate is considered somewhat upscale...not as much so as Cadillac or Lincoln, but more or less the same as Buick and GMC at GM. Stellantis, unfortunately, does not have a true luxury-division to compete directly with Caddy and Lincoln (one of its marketing omissions)...although Jeep's Grand Wagoner competes somewhat with the Escalade and Navigator in price. Dodge, of course,, competes downmarket with Chevy and Ford.
Old 11-01-23, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, the Chrysler nameplate is considered somewhat upscale...not as much so as Cadillac or Lincoln, but more or less the same as Buick and GMC at GM. Stellantis, unfortunately, does not have a true luxury-division to compete directly with Caddy and Lincoln (one of its marketing omissions)...although Jeep's Grand Wagoner competes somewhat with the Escalade and Navigator in price. Dodge, of course,, competes downmarket with Chevy and Ford.
I was talking about the Carnival.

The Pacifica is actually a pretty premium platform for a FWD transverse vehicle.
Old 11-01-23, 06:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Kia is nothing like a BMW lol, not in design or in maintenance or repair needs or costs. Comparing the two makes no sense. I know many many people with Kia’s and Hyundais, none of which have had problems. It’s steel suspension components and KYB struts in the suspension, same as Toyota.

No way I would buy another gas powered Pacifica over a Carnival, the transmission alone makes that choice for me. Hybrid Pacifica like I have now sure.

But bear in mind that both my gas Pacificas were broken down on tow trucks before 20k miles, both had front suspension replacements before 20k miles, my Kia Sedona never required anything but brakes. A Pacifica on its best day is no more mechanically sound than a Carnival on its worst day. If you want excellent reliability in a minivan you have to get a Sienna. Even an Odyssey is not impressive in that regard.

Agree the Pacifica is a nicer vehicle inside than a Carnival, but the tech and all in the Carnival is much better. Pacifica has no lane centering available etc.
The reliability and issues are what I was referring to, I thought I was clear enough about that but if not that's what I'm referring to.

The 3.6 pentastar is better than anything kia makes
Old 11-01-23, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The V6 in the Carnival and Telluride and Palisade is a very solid engine, but the issues with the Pacifica aren’t with the motor, Chrysler isn’t at the bottom of all the rankings and Kia/Hyundai near the top for no reason
Old 11-01-23, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The looks are 100% stolen from other cars, headlight, body lines, taillights, wheels, door cards etc etc are all from cars that are best in class or famous/desirable.
most ridiculous comment i've seen on here in a while, but thanks for the laugh. my ioniq 5 is dying of laughter at being called "100%" like something else. must be why it won global car of the year.

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 3.6 pentastar is better than anything kia makes
the ancient 3.6 pentastar is certainly a VERY reliable engine, and quite peppy too. but it doesn't sound great. i not only had one for 3 years in my jeep grand cherokee, but have ridden in cars with them many times, incuding minivans. they're stout, and peppy enough but that's about it. its fuel economy is nothing to write home about either.
Old 11-02-23, 03:44 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I see little has changed since I left here.

The Santa Fe steering wheel and general interior is modeled after the one in the flagship Grandeur sedan sold in South Korea, which was unveiled a year ago. No duh that its design trickles down to the rest of the Hyundai lineup.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-02-23 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-02-23, 03:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I see little has changed since I left here.

The Santa Fe steering wheel and general interior is modeled after the one in the flagship Grandeur sedan sold in South Korea, which was unveiled a year ago. No duh that its design trickles down to the rest of the Hyundai lineup.
No need to get upset over the steering wheel example, that ship sailed long ago. I don't personally think H/K/G copy other brands in the manner that so many claim, but the steering wheel example has been talked about across the internet which is why I mentioned it. It may be modeled after the Grandeur but it's the differences that drove people to think about Land Rover's steering wheel.
Old 11-02-23, 03:59 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
No need to get upset over the steering wheel example, that ship sailed long ago. I don't personally think H/K/G copy other brands in the manner that so many claim, but the steering wheel example has been talked about across the internet which is why I mentioned it. It may be modeled after the Grandeur but it's the differences that drove people to think about Land Rover's steering wheel.
Who's upset? Just stating the facts lol. It's barely any different from the Grandeur steering wheel. People claim it's a copy of the Land Rover steering wheel because it's in conjunction with the boxy exterior. Ironic that one of the original criticisms on the internet that came when the Defender was unveiled was that it looks like a lifted Kia Soul.