Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What happens to 2017 CPO Vehicles in 2024?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 12:43 PM
NickNosalik
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens to 2017 CPO Vehicles in 2024?

I know Lexus will only CPO model years up to 6 years old so what happens to a 2017 CPO when the clock strikes 2024?

What would stop me from keeping track of a VIN# of a CPO and when it is no longer a CPO, purchasing it for less "used" in lieu of "CPO" knowing Lexus has completed its complete check-out of the vehicle initially when they CPO'd it?

I hope my question makes sense!

Thank you.
Old 11-08-23, 12:55 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NickNosalik
I know Lexus will only CPO model years up to 6 years old so what happens to a 2017 CPO when the clock strikes 2024?

What would stop me from keeping track of a VIN# of a CPO and when it is no longer a CPO, purchasing it for less "used" in lieu of "CPO" knowing Lexus has completed its complete check-out of the vehicle initially when they CPO'd it?

Thank you.
I think I get where you're going. So you're basically saying if a 2017 CPO car sits on the lot for long enough, it'll become non-CPO and you want to buy that type of car? I would guess the CPO is done by month of production of each individual car, and not that 12:01 am of January 1st all of those 2017 cars are no longer CPO-able.
Old 11-08-23, 01:00 PM
NickNosalik
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think I get where you're going. So you're basically saying if a 2017 CPO car sits on the lot for long enough, it'll become non-CPO and you want to buy that type of car? I would guess the CPO is done by month of production of each individual car, and not that 12:01 am of January 1st all of those 2017 cars are no longer CPO-able.
Yeah that was just an extreme example. Can I sit on a 2017 CPO until it just becomes a "Used" car on the lot and then purchase it for significantly less than with the CPO up-charge?

Advantages of this would be I am guaranteed that it was confirmed to be a mechanically sound vehicle as Lexus inspected it and determined it was worth of the L/certified tag.
Disadvantages would be i am not getting the L/certified warranty but I am not sure how much that really matters for a CPO then "used" Lexus with less than 75k.
Old 11-08-23, 01:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NickNosalik

Thank you.
I think you are giving WAY more value to a car that "was" a CPO than is due. Do a Google search and you will find LOTS of stories of people that bought a CPO and later discovered items that "should" have been caught in a CPO inspection (like worn tires) which were not.
Old 11-08-23, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

yeah cpo is basically a warranty... lexus et al saying they'll stand behind it and that it wasn't falling apart when they checked it out.
after 6 years though, anything's possible.
so unless you can also get all the service records, maybe have a pro check it out to make sure no damage and other no no's, you're still gambling.
also, your example of the 2017 that will no longer be cpo in 2024... there shouldn't have been much if any markup anyway after all these years, as i say, it's just a warranty really, so if it was only 1 extra year, it's not going to be a big cost.
plus... dealers... meaning it will still come back to your negotiating skills for that 'cream puff' former cpo car.
Old 11-08-23, 03:36 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

as stated, you would just loose the actual warranty that a CPO comes with, which is up to 100k (better warranty than new)! but the car would still be very desirable as it needed to pass a rigorous inspection for it to get CPO'd in the first place.

i believe most of the time the dealer would move the car even before the CPO eligibility has lapsed. meaning another party would have likely received the vehicle afterwards (auctioned off for example), if they didn't mark it down enough to sell off the lot.
Old 11-08-23, 08:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Lexus CPO doesn’t mean much.
Years ago when I was shopping for GS430s, I looked at bunch of CPO cars and all were well below my tolerance of wear/tear. I drove all the way to PA on what seemed to be a perfect car, only to find out door was repaired and not on Carfax.

Don’t fall for the CPO inspection BS - it’s not just Lexus, all other brands are just as bad bec its dealers that certify these cars, same folks that don’t know the proper psi to inflate the tires to…..
Old 11-09-23, 12:13 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think you are giving WAY more value to a car that "was" a CPO than is due. Do a Google search and you will find LOTS of stories of people that bought a CPO and later discovered items that "should" have been caught in a CPO inspection (like worn tires) which were not.
This always cracks me up when a salesman will talk up the ten thousand point inspection that the CPO car goes through. I am tempted just to tell them to save it for the next sucker.