Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Hyundai Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 07:20 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry, Hyundai. I'm largely a fan of your entire family of vehicles across the 3 brands, but you whiffed on this exterior in a very big way.
Old 11-27-23, 07:22 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Outside, it doesn't look much different from a Range Rover...and you said you liked the RR Sport. Inside......well, I'll agree, that's a different story.
The only design cue this has in common with a Range Rover is they both have 4 tires.

This looks like a Ford Edge blended with a Kia Soul. That's not a good combo to my eye.
Old 11-27-23, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
The only design cue this has in common with a Range Rover is they both have 4 tires.
I'm not the only person who sees an RR resemblance.

Not only that, but anybody here remember the Mitsubishi Endeavor? The new Santa Fe has somewhat of the same fender-bulge treatments.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-23 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Outside, it doesn't look much different from a Range Rover...and you said you liked the RR Sport. Inside......well, I'll agree, that's a different story.
I don’t think so. If anything it might look like a Defender, but the RR Sport is much smoother and far, far more attractive. The RR Sport is also not a mainstream vehicle it’s an enthusiast vehicle.

How does this Santa Fe look like this Range Rover Sport:

My concern about this vehicle is that it’s a little too out there for a mainstream vehicle…we’ll see. Saying it looks like an old Mistubishi isn’t a compliment…
Old 11-27-23, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t think so. If anything it might look like a Defender, but the RR Sport is much smoother and far, far more attractive. The RR Sport is also not a mainstream vehicle it’s an enthusiast vehicle.

How does this Santa Fe look like this Range Rover Sport:

My concern about this vehicle is that it’s a little too out there for a mainstream vehicle…we’ll see. Saying it looks like an old Mistubishi isn’t a compliment…
You might have a point about the Defender. I agree there is even more of a resemblance than with an RR.

As for the Mitsubishi, it's not really a clone, but has the same fender-bulges. Also saw them on the Daihatsu Rocky, but that was a different kind of fender-bulge, for a different reason...to house a wider wheel-track and make the vehicle more stable.
Old 11-27-23, 09:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I think it’s even less likely that the people at Hyundai had any 10+ year old total failure Mistubishi in mind when they designed this than the designers of the Forester had a 10 year old Explorer in mind when they designed flat…
Old 11-27-23, 09:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it’s even less likely that the people at Hyundai had any 10+ year old total failure Mistubishi in mind when they designed this than the designers of the Forester had a 10 year old Explorer in mind when they designed flat…

Well, to be honest, it's hard to make almost ANY new vehicle-design today truly original, and not copying somebody else, somewhere down the line. And the few that WERE close to being truly original (Nissan Juke, Pontiac Aztec, Toyota C-HR, etc...)...look at the negative receptions they got.
Old 11-27-23, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

The rear bathtub styling is an instant NO. A shame, as the updated Ford Flex front and Land/Range Rover sides are somewhat interesting and appealing.
Even today, after two dozen years of observing, I am still amused how Hyundai/Kia continue to rip off other brand's styling as their core program.
Old 11-28-23, 07:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've seen it in person and to me, the styling works. It's going to blend in more than you think out on the road.
Old 11-28-23, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The rear bathtub styling is an instant NO. A shame, as the updated Ford Flex front and Land/Range Rover sides are somewhat interesting and appealing.
you're an instant no on almost everything though, lol

Even today, after two dozen years of observing, I am still amused how Hyundai/Kia continue to rip off other brand's styling as their core program.
please... what are the ioniq 5 and ev6 'ripping off'? how about the wildly successful telluride and palisade?

be amused all you want, their sales continue to grow.
Old 11-28-23, 08:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

please... what are the ioniq 5 and ev6 'ripping off'? how about the wildly successful telluride and palisade?

I don't think the average person (someone not into cars) could identify a Palisade or Telluride if badges were removed or if it was only seen from the side. My wife can't tell the difference between a Palisade and a current Santa Fe. I don't think those designs are unique in the mid sized SUV market. I do think they're nice looking, though, but they aren't unique designs. A unique design is something that when you see it once you always recognize it. Range Rover is a perfect example. It's never mistaken for anything else.
Old 11-28-23, 08:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't think the average person (someone not into cars) could identify a Palisade or Telluride if badges were removed or if it was only seen from the side. My wife can't tell the difference between a Palisade and a current Santa Fe. I don't think those designs are unique in the mid sized SUV market. I do think they're nice looking, though, but they aren't unique designs. A unique design is something that when you see it once you always recognize it. Range Rover is a perfect example. It's never mistaken for anything else.
But people confuse Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports all the time.
Old 11-28-23, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

motortrend really loves it.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...ew-korea-spec/

and it doesn't look that unusual in the muted color one in their pics

Old 11-28-23, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Can't believe those wheels...looks like a kalidesope LOL.

And those rubber-band tires don't have much sidewall.

Old 11-28-23, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

So true! I poopoo a ton of cars.
The Ionic 5 was a copy of the Audi Quattro concept car from three years ago.
EV6 is on it's own. Good for the brand.
Ionic 6 is the revised Infiniti J30. The scary thing is, I have a feeling Hyundai doesn't even know what a J30 is. Or if they do, VERY sneaky!
I was happy for the company, until my dad's Santa Fe got recalled five times and he couldn't park it in the garage without fearing burning down the house. Then the engine self-destructed, so it became a moot point. The company's goal is to mass produce volume, at the expense of quality/safety.
By the way, since we last chatted, the % of modern-day Hyundai/Kia's with malfunctioning brakelights has risen from 80% to 90+%. More poopooing!

Quick Reply: 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe