Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2025 Subaru Forester has strong Ford styling overtone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default New 2025 Subaru Forester has strong Ford styling overtone.

The upcoming 2025 Subaru Forester (a vehicle I have always had respect for) seems to have adopted a front end strongly reminiscent of the latest Ford Explorer. Fortunately, it is likely to have much better build-quality than the latest Explorer, which has suffered from a number of QC problems.

I like the fact that lower-trim models have 17-inch wheels/tires. Depending on the tire-profile (which is usually taller with smaller wheels), that should give a nice smooth ride....something that is often lacking on a number of upper-line vehicles wirth rubber-band tires.

Have to admit, though....the Bronze finish on the Sport version's 19-inch wheels looks good.

A Forester Hybrid will (supposedly) come a year later....in 2026.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ster-revealed/

2025 Subaru Forester Debuts a New Look but Is Similar Underneath

The redesigned Forester compact SUV is claimed to be quieter and more responsive than before, but the 2.5-liter flat-four remains the only engine choice for now.

BY ELANA SCHERR

PUBLISHED: NOV 16, 2023

• The Subaru Forester is new for 2025, and it features numerous upgrades.
  • The 2.5-liter flat-four carries over, and Subaru says the platform is stiffer than before.
  • Subaru says the 2025 Forester compact SUV will start reaching U.S. dealerships next spring.
Subaru pulled the wraps off its 2025 Forester during the 2023 Los Angeles Auto Show. Big claims of “all-newness” get thrown around with abandon, but the 2025 Subaru Forester does have new sheetmetal, a stiffer chassis, and a bigger infotainment screen in its redesigned interior. You'll be able to choose from five trim levels when it gets to dealers: base, Premium, Sport, Limited and Touring, and we expect a Wilderness trimand a hybrid option to be added further down the road.

From the outside, the Forester’s body panels are smoothed around the headlights, and lifted over the wheel arches to give it a more action-ready stance. The new grille extends its edges to better highlight the arrow-shaped LED headlights, but the Forester retains its upright cabin, both for head room and brand recognition. Despite its boxy shape, Forester does have some aero tricks along its flat flanks, including a new air vent at the back of the wheel opening, to move air out of the wheel well, reducing lift at freeway speeds.

Underneath the Forester’s new sheetmetal is Subaru’s Global Platform, but it’s 10 percent stiffer for 2025, with an inner frame that uses more welds and more structural adhesive. Subaru says not only will the Forester's ride be firmer and more controlled on the new chassis, but also claims it will be quieter. Combined with added insulation in and outside the cabin, the Forester should be considerably less raucous inside.

Under the hood is a familiar pal, Subaru’s 2.5-liter boxer engine. We’re down two ponies from the outgoing model, but you’re unlikely to notice. The four-cylinder makes 180 horsepower and 178 pound feet of torque, and peak torque comes in a lower rpm than before, so even though it’s down on power, it should feel more responsive. The flat-four is backed by a continuously variable transmission which, in the higher trims, offers a manual “shift” mode with steering-wheel paddles. The Forester gets torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive standard, hill descent control, and a variant of the WRX’s dual-pinion electronic power steering, which purports to offer a tighter, more connected feel both on- and off-road.

Base and Premium trims come with 17-inch wheels, the Limited gets 18-inchers, and the Sport and Touring models both ride on 19-inch wheels—in a new bronze finish for the Sport. The Forester offers 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

It's still an easy step up inside, where a new center screen hosts most of the climate and infotainment controls. Surfaces are padded at the major touch points, but still offer Subaru’s wipe-clean functionality and scuff-resistant materials. In the back, split-folding rear seats provide 74 cubic feet of cargo room when folded. The tailgate now opens with a swipe of a foot beneath the bumper, and there are eight new tie-down points in the cargo area. Roof rails add utility in either a raised or low-profile design. For the driver, the new seat is more supportive around the hips and lower back, while the top section is narrowed for better visibility into the rear. Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard, and the Touring trim now comes with ventilated as well as heated front seats.

More standard tech is the rallying cry of every new car and the Forester is no exception. While a 7.0-inch touchscreen is standard on the base model, higher trims get an 11.6-inch screen with wireless smartphone mirroring. Subaru’s driver-assist technologies, which it calls EyeSight, have also been updated to work quicker and more comfortably in varying conditions. The Forester can now better identify cyclists and pedestrians and apply emergency braking. To help the driver better see around them, an optional 360-degree camera view is now available.

The 2025 Forester is scheduled to reach dealers starting in spring 2024. Prices aren't out yet but we expect they'll rise a fair amount from the 2024 Forester's $28,390 to $38,690 spread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-23 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-19-23, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

The top of the headlights remind me a little bit of the pre refresh version of the previous gen Explorer, but not the current explorer.

Current Explorer:

Old 11-19-23, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The top of the headlights remind me a little bit of the pre refresh version of the previous gen Explorer, but not the current explorer.

Current Explorer:

Agreed....it does look a little closer to the pre-refresh. Either way......a definite Ford influence.

Of course, there have been so many different vehicle-designs on the market over the years that it is difficult nowadays to style something truly original. You're almost always copying someone else, somewhere.
Old 11-19-23, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed....it does look a little closer to the pre-refresh. Either way......a definite Ford influence.

Of course, there have been so many different vehicle-designs on the market over the years that it is difficult nowadays to style something truly original. You're almost always copying someone else, somewhere.
To be clear, thats the pre refresh of the PREVIOUS generation, so three versions of the Explorer back...10 years ago. I highly doubt Subaru copied a 10 year old Ford design.

The only place I see that is in the very top of the headlights, nowhere else.

Old 11-19-23, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be clear, thats the pre refresh of the PREVIOUS generation, so three versions of the Explorer back...10 years ago. I highly doubt Subaru copied a 10 year old Ford design.

The only place I see that is in the very top of the headlights, nowhere else.
Either way, Subaru's Ascent, size and price-wise, competes more directly with the Explorer than the Forester does...and, like the Explorer (and unlike other Subarus), the Ascent has had quality-problems.

I test-drove one several years go, when it first came out, and was not all that impressed with it...and one couple I know who bought one was very dissatisfied with it. Consumer Reports backs that up somewhat.
Old 11-19-23, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right………….

Subaru did not try and make this vehicle look like a 10 year old Explorer. The slight resemblance is happenstance.
Old 11-19-23, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

i can say i've never liked any subaru inside or out except maybe the brz.
they're just... so... ugly...

and this new fugly forester looks absolutely nothing like any ford.
Old 11-19-23, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Subarus have never appealed to me either.
Old 11-19-23, 07:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

It doesn’t look like a Ford, or anything else, to me. I just don’t like the look of this at all.
Old 11-19-23, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can say i've never liked any subaru inside or out except maybe the brz.
they're just... so... ugly..
Remember.....the BR-Z was part-Toyota. Subaru did the drive train.....Toyota most of the rest.

and this new fugly forester looks absolutely nothing like any ford.
Except for the front end, I agree with you, but the front end definitely reminds me of some Explorers.
Old 11-19-23, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I see the resemblance to the 2013 model Explorer in the upper headlights, but that’s all.
Old 11-19-23, 08:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Subaru specializes in hideous designs
Old 11-19-23, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Subaru specializes in hideous designs
ha. i confess i had a subaru legacy wagon once (well my wife then did) but it actually looked pretty mainstream at the time.

ours was browm but similar to this.

Old 11-19-23, 09:02 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

ha. i confess i had a subaru legacy wagon once (well my wife then did) but it actually looked pretty mainstream at the time.

In brown?

So it can get worse... hahaha
Old 11-20-23, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Legacy wagon didn't last in the U.S. for one main reason......Outback sales simply overwhelmed it. They Legacy wagon had most of the same mechanicals (and the same wagon body), but the Outback had better ground-clearance underneath for deep snow, sat up a little higher off the ground which made entry/exit a little easier for some, more body-cladding to protect paint damage from winter conditons, and, perhaps, a slightly smoother ride from greater suspension-travel.

Quick Reply: New 2025 Subaru Forester has strong Ford styling overtone.