Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should you be able to order what you want?
Yes, I only want to pay for what I want.
75.00%
Yes but with some concessions.
16.67%
No, I'll buy what's on the lot regardless of price.
0%
Don't really care.
8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Ordering a New Lexus product

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-23, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Full custom is being allowed to request straight up one off work that is done solely for you, I have several guns like that.
Porsche will also do totally custom colors and trim, as will Rolls Royce. Extremely expensive of course.
Old 12-11-23, 12:43 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The lack of Lexus ordering is single handedly the main reason we don't have one in our household currently. To get an NX with the panoramic roof (which we love) requires $7,000 of other crap, most of which we don't want. It pushes the price on an NX well above a GLC speced to our liking. I've ordered BMW and Porsche products before with no issue.
Old 12-11-23, 02:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Porsche will also do totally custom colors and trim, as will Rolls Royce. Extremely expensive of course.
Porsche will laugh in your face if you ask for anything that’s not a standard offering.
They do have a “special wishes” program which is reserved for their VIP clients. So unless you have a 918 in your garage or your a well known collector like Jerry Seinfeld. Even their Paint to Sample program - its hard to even get previously approved colors and takes months to get formal approval. Btw for 2024 MY - PTS is no longer available even.

Rolls Royce works in a similar matter - they have so many available materials and finishes that you can choose.
Old 12-11-23, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because its difficult to get done doesn't mean they don't do it. Didn't know PTS was ending in 2024. Rolls Royce will do truly custom colors, finishes, etc.

Bottom line is even BMW and MB force you to order packages to get some features now, there is no truly custom order in any mass produced car.
Old 12-11-23, 02:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Just because its difficult to get done doesn't mean they don't do it. Didn't know PTS was ending in 2024. Rolls Royce will do truly custom colors, finishes, etc.

Bottom line is even BMW and MB force you to order packages to get some features now, there is no truly custom order in any mass produced car.
PTS is not ending but all spots are filled for 2024.

They will NOT do it period.

Even specific trims are prevented from certain options. For example - if you want GTS model but don’t want the blacked out trim, you can’t change that.

Custom order to me - means I choose the available options.
I guess to you it means, you choose what is not available as an option and make it available?! I’m confused…..

The only folks that get a truly custom Porsche are Porsche family members like the recent Targa with GT3 engine that one of them commissioned.
Old 12-11-23, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Spots are filled for 2024. So they still do it…just have to get a 2025.

You can order any car from the available options. There are packages where you have to get the whole package, BMW and Mercedes also do this now. Lexus makes it painful and very drawn out because they don’t want you to do it. BMW welcomes it and Mercedes is kind of in between.
Old 12-11-23, 03:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,184 Likes on 880 Posts

Exactly, Bentley as well as some of the top Audis also allow you to spec whatever you want for insane markup. Some of the euro versions of my car have leatherwork and woodwork packages done one off that were over $60k
Old 12-11-23, 08:36 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tex2670
You're comparing shady financing practices with the lack of ability to custom order? C'mon now.

But I do get what you are saying - what's the point of being able to "Build Your Own" on the website, when they don't actually produce any vehicles in the way you can build them? I definitely find that frustrating. But it's not shady....
I didn't say the ordering was shady just not transparent. I got 3 different stories from 3 different dealers on placing an order.
As far as the financing goes. I quickly heard something about it on the news. I think it was something about not explaining the financing costs. I would think that would be more on a dealer to dealer basis. All I know is Toyota lost the suit and it wasn't against the dealers.
Here in NY I can't believe all the forms I had to sign acknowledging that I was shown the cost and understood them.
Old 12-12-23, 05:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,550 Posts

As for “completely custom” yes you can choose from any options or colors they decide to make available. That’s not truly custom.
Rolls Royce will do truly custom colors, finishes, etc.

so we're comparing everything to rolls royce custom ordering now? lol.

rolls royce is all about pampered people getting EXACTLY what they want and paying "don't care" money to get it.

other manufacturers that build at scale simply can't do that.

lexus isn't interested in custom ordering of any kind. yes a dealer MIGHT let you 'request' a set of options/colors and they'll 'request' lexus allocate one to the dealer IF it's built, and lexus MIGHT at some point make one, but it's hit and miss and they're obviously not interested. the the lexus lc they have the 'bespoke' build option but it's limited and lame and takes forever.

what's even worse to me is the inflexibility in ordering and the general lack of available configurations. they want to sell vanilla or chocolate and maybe a niche color here and there (loaded) and that's about it. with lexus you either take it loaded, or you likely have to compromise on paying for options you don't want to get options you do want, or vice versa.

it's always been this way and they're not likely to change.
Old 12-12-23, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so we're comparing everything to rolls royce custom ordering now? lol.

rolls royce is all about pampered people getting EXACTLY what they want and paying "don't care" money to get it.

other manufacturers that build at scale simply can't do that.
You're making the same point that I am making. Mass production carmakers just can't do truly custom orders, so when someone says "I custom ordered my BMW" they really didn't, they selected from what BMW had available.

lexus isn't interested in custom ordering of any kind. yes a dealer MIGHT let you 'request' a set of options/colors and they'll 'request' lexus allocate one to the dealer IF it's built, and lexus MIGHT at some point make one, but it's hit and miss and they're obviously not interested. the the lexus lc they have the 'bespoke' build option but it's limited and lame and takes forever.
Exactly

what's even worse to me is the inflexibility in ordering and the general lack of available configurations. they want to sell vanilla or chocolate and maybe a niche color here and there (loaded) and that's about it. with lexus you either take it loaded, or you likely have to compromise on paying for options you don't want to get options you do want, or vice versa.
Unfortunately Mercedes and BMW are starting to do their options and packages more like Lexus. It doesn't bother me because I buy off the lot, but I get why it bothers others.
Old 12-12-23, 08:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Spots are filled for 2024. So they still do it…just have to get a 2025.

You can order any car from the available options. There are packages where you have to get the whole package, BMW and Mercedes also do this now. Lexus makes it painful and very drawn out because they don’t want you to do it. BMW welcomes it and Mercedes is kind of in between.
Your posting shows you have never tried to order a Porsche or Rolls Royce lol

Please go to a Porsche dealer and tell them you want a PTS color on your 911.
Is it possible? Yes but you need to wait a long time for PTS allocation and there is no guarantee your color choice will be approved.
If you want special trim/materials - almost 0 percent chance of this happening unless you are known to the brand.
Old 12-12-23, 08:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately Mercedes and BMW are starting to do their options and packages more like Lexus. It doesn't bother me because I buy off the lot, but I get why it bothers others.
Not sure about MB but BMW still offers many a la carte options.
The X3 we just got had individual options like upgraded stereo, 20in wheels, window shades, remote start etc. Also chose color, leather seats, interior trim (carbon fiber), blackout exterior trim, Brake caliper color etc.

I mean for a mass production SUV - not sure how much more customization I would want lol

For enthusiast cars - i feel like the customization options are growing at an amazing pace compared to 10yrs ago. The level of custom stuff you can do on regular cars like a Mustang, Corvette, 911 or even a Bronco and Wrangler is truly amazing.

If all these companies can figure it out, surely Toyota/Lexus can do it as well. The cars are still produced on same assembly line. They can just designate 1 day per month to “customer orders”

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-12-23 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 09:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

I remembered when I got my GS and the fact that I couldn't get the F-Sport package with fog lights left a bad taste in my mouth. Other regions could have that spec but in the North Eastern region you will take your fog lights with the lux package or not at all
Old 12-12-23, 09:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 226 Posts

You're making the same point that I am making. Mass production carmakers just can't do truly custom orders, so when someone says "I custom ordered my BMW" they really didn't, they selected from what BMW had available.
You can get pretty damn close though. Most of the options are not bundled (some are), and there's the Individual program to choose from a much wider variety of certain options (mostly paint and trims) than are in the order guide. Beyond that they have the Individual Manufaktur program, where you can get almost anything fully customized. Want your seats wrapped in a leather that's exclusive to another model? Custom lighting or bespoke trim? If you're willing to pay, chances are they'll do it, and there's a dedicated small-work factory for fulfilling these requests.

I considered getting my fuse cover wrapped in OE leather, as it's the only part of the lower dash that isn't leather. Decided against it due to expense and delay (these are hand-made items, after all), but may have it done aftermarket at some point--it doesn't actually bother me all that much after all. But Individual Manufaktur would have totally done that for me.
Old 12-12-23, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Is it possible? Yes
Thank you.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If all these companies can figure it out, surely Toyota/Lexus can do it as well. The cars are still produced on same assembly line. They can just designate 1 day per month to “customer orders”
Of course they can, but they don't want to and they won't.