Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should you be able to order what you want?
Yes, I only want to pay for what I want.
75.00%
Yes but with some concessions.
16.67%
No, I'll buy what's on the lot regardless of price.
0%
Don't really care.
8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Ordering a New Lexus product

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 06:28 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool Ordering a New Lexus product

I've been buying new Toyotas for over 20 years. Just bought my 1st Lexus (11/30/2023 ES 350).
I was rudely surprised that Lexus does not take custom orders. Then why do they have a build your Lexus website? Why am I getting different stories from dealers. They say I can't custom order but I can put a reserve build request with a deposit. Yet the car may or may not ever be built. They also wanted sticker price to place a build order. They can check if any close dealer have an allocation close to what I want. Then they can't because the computer system is down. Ya - bla, bla, bla.
Which story or stories are correct?
The worse thing is that the day after I purchased the car I didn't really want. The dealer in the next city had the exactly the car I wanted with color and options in transit. Only difference was it was a 300h vs a 350. I could have compromised.

Lexus is so proud of their "Lexus owner experience". I should be able to buy the car I want for this kind of money.
History:
I did not have to purchase a new car at this time but I noticed a trend with Toyota and Lexus changing to 4 cylinders or all hybrid on most models. I keep my cars over 10 years and drive less than 5000 miles a year. Thus why I wanted to move from my 2013 Avalon V6 Limited (48000 miles) to a new Toyota or Lexus. I did not want a hybrid because of battery life warrantee and devaluation after 10 years. Also my Avalon was reaching the unfinacible years. Also for the money of a top Toyota a Lexus was in the same price range.
The dealer I bought the car from was decent. They gave me a very good price for a car on the lot and good trade-in value. The deal was hard to pass up. I do enjoy the new car yet black on black on black and missing some options still bothers me when the car I wanted is only 70 miles away.

Please leave comments of knowledge and experiences.
Old 12-10-23, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,550 Posts

toyota/lexus and their dealers have had the 'take it or leave it' attitude forever. i certainly don't care for it, and one has to be very determined if they want a specific combination of model/colors/options. my lexus had to be bought from a dealer a thousand miles away and transported so i could get what i wanted. a long time ago i wanted a lexus model (and my only requirement was the model [gs400] and color [silver]) and a couple of local dealers where i was living at the time said they didn't know when they might have one but would be happy to sell me a different model in a different color (seriously?). i gave up on them and contacted a dealer way out of town who grabbed the allocation of what i wanted 'off the boat' and i had it a couple of weeks later. sales guy even drove the long way to me and took me back to the dealer so he could close it. win-win.

but most toyota/lexus dealers in my experience are just lazy, and they know at least some of their products sell themselves so they focus on those. it's the reason the lexus GS went away imo because dealers would rather push the less expensive and less sporty ES. not dissing the ES, it's a great car.

like you, i don't drive my lexus a lot of miles so thankfully i only have to visit a dealer once a year.

anyway congrats on the ES350. glad you got the v6, it's so nice and smooth.

Old 12-10-23, 07:27 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Smile

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota/lexus and their dealers have had the 'take it or leave it' attitude forever. i certainly don't care for it, and one has to be very determined if they want a specific combination of model/colors/options. my lexus had to be bought from a dealer a thousand miles away and transported so i could get what i wanted. a long time ago i wanted a lexus model (and my only requirement was the model [gs400] and color [silver]) and a couple of local dealers where i was living at the time said they didn't know when they might have one but would be happy to sell me a different model in a different color (seriously?). i gave up on them and contacted a dealer way out of town who grabbed the allocation of what i wanted 'off the boat' and i had it a couple of weeks later. sales guy even drove the long way to me and took me back to the dealer so he could close it. win-win.

but most toyota/lexus dealers in my experience are just lazy, and they know at least some of their products sell themselves so they focus on those. it's the reason the lexus GS went away imo because dealers would rather push the less expensive and less sporty ES. not dissing the ES, it's a great car.

like you, i don't drive my lexus a lot of miles so thankfully i only have to visit a dealer once a year.

anyway congrats on the ES350. glad you got the v6, it's so nice and smooth.
Thanks for replying. I have to say with my research your right on point. I was surprised that this was also true for Toyota's. I order my 2013 Avalon Limited w/tech package and in and out colors with no issues. The 2013's where just coming out and I waited about 3 months. So i assumed it would be no different.

When I did a country wide search for the ES, I found 1 car close enough. I live in upstate NY and the car was down in Florida. The transportation cost was not realistic.

I'm glad you found a dealer that went the extra mile. I have heard that Toyota's CEO is considering a direct online sales approach. You would order online and the car would be delivered to a dealership near you. I'll probably be dead by then but I can hope. 😊
Old 12-10-23, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

If you want to be able to order what you want easily you need to look at a BMW or a Mercedes. BMW does it the best.

Toyota/Lexus just does not like special orders, they are inefficient and they are all about efficiency.

You also have to understand that these are mass produced cars, and you can’t custom order one. It’s not a $600,000 Rolls Royce.
Old 12-10-23, 11:02 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you want to be able to order what you want easily you need to look at a BMW or a Mercedes. BMW does it the best.

Toyota/Lexus just does not like special orders, they are inefficient and they are all about efficiency.

You also have to understand that these are mass produced cars, and you can’t custom order one. It’s not a $600,000 Rolls Royce.
I think we’re going to see this spread more among automakers. Ford just simplified their configurations for the F-150.
Old 12-10-23, 11:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree that BMW probably does custom orders the best. I don't see Toyota/Lexus expanding their custom order program in the near future.
In October I custom ordered a BMW X3. The ordering process was seamless and progress on the car was transparent throughout the process. From order date to delivery to me was three weeks, nearly to the day. This was unusually fast. Obviously orders for imported models take longer but the timing isn't unreasonable IMO.
Old 12-10-23, 07:45 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

A $40k Ford Mustang or any Ford can be custom ordered and tracked for that matter. This has Zero to do with efficiency and more to do with ineptitude from Toyota/Lexus.
Old 12-10-23, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
A $40k Ford Mustang or any Ford can be custom ordered and tracked for that matter. This has Zero to do with efficiency and more to do with ineptitude from Toyota/Lexus.
Custom ordered to a point, but not truly custom.

Toyota/Lexus just don’t want to do custom orders. If they did, they would make them easier to do. They have always been that way.
Old 12-11-23, 05:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Custom ordered to a point, but not truly custom.

Toyota/Lexus just don’t want to do custom orders. If they did, they would make them easier to do. They have always been that way.
What do you mean not truly custom?

On a Mustang - you can pick any options, color combinations, wheels, seat belt colors, even brake caliper colors. Same goes for a Corvette.

Just because they did something one way - doesn’t mean they can’t change…
You do realize the cars that are built- a person chooses those color combinations and options any way. Its some dude at Lexus NA that submits the build orders. This should not be difficult to change especially how advanced the computer tech is and the efficiency of the factories. We are not even talking specialty paints or something not in the parts bin.
Old 12-11-23, 06:04 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Question

On a Mustang - you can pick any options, color combinations, wheels, seat belt colors, even brake caliper colors. Same goes for a Corvette.

You do realize the cars that are built- a person chooses those color combinations and options any way. Its some dude at Lexus NA that submits the build orders. This should not be difficult to change especially how advanced the computer tech is and the efficiency of the factories. We are not even talking specialty paints or something not in the parts bin.
Thanks everyone for voting. Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. We all know that different brands have different approaches to buying new.
My issues are with the lack of transparency with Lexus / Toyota as a whole and their dealerships. They should have standards for the company and their dealerships. Isn't this why Toyota just lost a class action suit for shady financing?
I would have no problem with zero to maybe a few menial options for each trim. I would then know what I was buying and maybe only have to wait for the color combo I wanted. Toyota used to be much closer to this approach (limited options per trim).
If I can build my car on their website with the color and options I want, then let me do it. I don't need different stories from different dealers that just want to move what's on the lot because of overhead costs.
Old 12-11-23, 06:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
Thanks everyone for voting. Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. We all know that different brands have different approaches to buying new.
My issues are with the lack of transparency with Lexus / Toyota as a whole and their dealerships. They should have standards for the company and their dealerships. Isn't this why Toyota just lost a class action suit for shady financing?
I would have no problem with zero to maybe a few menial options for each trim. I would then know what I was buying and maybe only have to wait for the color combo I wanted. Toyota used to be much closer to this approach (limited options per trim).
If I can build my car on their website with the color and options I want, then let me do it. I don't need different stories from different dealers that just want to move what's on the lot because of overhead costs.
You're comparing shady financing practices with the lack of ability to custom order? C'mon now.

But I do get what you are saying - what's the point of being able to "Build Your Own" on the website, when they don't actually produce any vehicles in the way you can build them? I definitely find that frustrating. But it's not shady....
Old 12-11-23, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Can they change? Yes. Will they change? No. Why? Because they don’t want to and they don’t need to. Most buyers don’t custom order, and Toyota is all about appealing to the mass not the niche.

As for “completely custom” yes you can choose from any options or colors they decide to make available. That’s not truly custom.
Old 12-11-23, 11:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Can they change? Yes. Will they change? No. Why? Because they don’t want to and they don’t need to. Most buyers don’t custom order, and Toyota is all about appealing to the mass not the niche.

As for “completely custom” yes you can choose from any options or colors they decide to make available. That’s not truly custom.
I disagree completely.
Ford and GM also appeals to the masses. Hell even Stellantis allows custom orders - have you seen the various builds on Challengers, Wranglers, Broncos.

Toyota is building more emotional products like the new Land Cruiser and GX - its in their best interest to allow custom order to maximize profits as ppl that custom order 99% of the time order a higher spec car than just settling on whats on the lot.

Btw - i don’t get your definition of “truly custom”
You can only order what manufacturer makes available whether that’s Ferrari or Porsche or Ford.
Old 12-11-23, 12:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,184 Likes on 880 Posts

Full custom is being allowed to request straight up one off work that is done solely for you, I have several guns like that.
Old 12-11-23, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree completely.
You can disagree all you want but unless you're an executive for Toyota it doesn't mean much. If Toyota and Lexus all of a sudden change gears and start embracing custom orders and making them easy, I'll buy you one.

Quick Reply: Ordering a New Lexus product